Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

who elses households have colds runnign thru them..

Eleni
April 14th, 2005, 12:46 PM
my entire household is sick with presumably the same cold.

started off with my husband he figured it was allergies, then the baby had a runny nose but hey hes teething, so we figured thats the problem, then me and my son got up with it today.

im sure my daughter is next in line.

anyone ever notice that your always sick towards the weekend.

however I saw this coming, my husband went back to work 2 weeks ago after workign from home for 4 months so HE brought us germs to show he loves us :love: :sick:

Eleni

happycats
April 14th, 2005, 12:52 PM
YES we have had it !! my hubby has missed 2 nights work this week because of it ! I missed 1 day last week. My son was really sick, kept me up all night the first night he had it. Then I discovered Nyquil for kids!! It's great, cleared him right up, and he slept through the night no problem!! (I gave it to him at bedtime).

Eleni
April 14th, 2005, 12:56 PM
nyquil for kids you say??

i have a grumpy 2 yr old with a runny nose who might benefit from that?

guess im heading to shoppers later.

I feel so bad for the baby when he gets a runny nose, i take the what we lovingly refer too as the "snot sucker" to clear him out but he hates it and cries, poor little guy

and thank god for cool mist humidifiers!

Eleni

happycats
April 14th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Top pick for me, nyquil for kids !!!! I have tried all others, and nothing works as good :D
I remember the "snot sucking days" :yuck:

Sneaky2006
April 14th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Yes!! I woke up with it this morning... my son had it this week and last week 2 of the kids I watch had it too. I normally Lysol everything and it really, really helps, but I ran out :(

BMDLuver
April 14th, 2005, 03:24 PM
We have had it running through our house for three weeks now. You are better off to use Dimetapp for Runny nose, stuffy head, cough than Nyquil according to our Pharmicist. 3/4 tsp for a medium build 2 year old. If a fever is present, she suggested Children's Advil Cold. We started with the latter as we had fever and switched to the Dimetapp when fever was gone. It worked like a charm to slow down the ermmmmm "snotty nose" . :thumbs up

Eleni
April 14th, 2005, 03:42 PM
I lysol normally too but this weeks been crazy so ive been lazing off when it comes to housework

as for the dimetapp ill give it a try, so far i ahvent given him anything i tend to try to let them fight thigns off before giving meds, and then its once they are just so miserable you know a good sleep is in order

Eleni

happycats
April 14th, 2005, 05:26 PM
I have to disagree BMDLuver :o I have tried both Dimitapp and Motrin cold and flu, tylenol cold and flu as well as advil cold and flu, and "nothing" compares to Nyquil for kids !!

snooks
April 14th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Eleni said "i have a grumpy 2 yr old with a runny nose who might benefit from that?"

I have a grumpty 50 yr old with a runny nose. Want to trade. :evil:

Ok, sorry bad joke, but hubby is worse than any child. :D

happycats
April 14th, 2005, 05:49 PM
but hubby is worse than any child. :D

You got that right !!

Eleni
April 14th, 2005, 08:08 PM
LOL ill keep the 2 yr old over a grumpy hubby, my hubby is not grumpy yet *knock on wood*

Eleni

SnowDancer
April 14th, 2005, 08:20 PM
My husband and I both have colds - plus I suffer from allergies. The big difference between us is that he can take any form of anti-histamine/decongestant and pass out. I on the other hand cannot - "extreme sensitivity" to these meds according to the allergist. I don't die - just won't sleep for a week. Unfortunately also applies to sleep medications. He keeps saying he wishes he didn't have to take his cold pills - my answer is then well - DON'T.

CyberKitten
April 14th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Please be careful giving your kids nyquil or any comound with acetemenophen and dextromethorphan. Parents often forget that they have given a child a tylenol (the brand name for acetamenophen) and then add more with what they think is "just" a decongestant.

I actually don't recommend using Nyquil and similar products at all in children. Last year, a landmark study in Pediatrics (an important journal - sort of a Bible for pediatricians) compared three seperate cold "remedies" among children: Benylin, which like Nyquil, contains dextromethorphan (a cough suppressant); Diphen AF, which contains diphenhydramine (a cough-suppressing and sleep-inducing antihistamine); or a sweetened placebo.

The findings showed that the drugs relieved coughs and improved sleep quality no better than the placebo. This is what the study concluded:

While the combined evidence does not prove children's cough suppressants ineffective, it does call into question whether they’re worth the effort, the cost, and the risk of adverse effects. In rare cases, even the recommended doses can cause muscle contractions. Dextromethorphan can also cause severe allergic reactions; diphenhydramine may induce restlessness and anxiety.

The best things you can do for your child are:

Boost humidity. Use a humidifier or warm showers or baths to help loosen phlegm and ease a sore throat. Avoid excessive heat, which dries the air. Acetaminophen (Tylenol, Children’s Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil, Children’s Advil) can also relieve throat pain as well as muscle aches and fever. ASA is out because of that key Lanect study showing its correlation with Reye's Syndrome.

Drink warm liquids. In particular, try warm water with lemon and honey, which coats the throat and eases the “tickling” sensation. Chicken soup might actually help fight the virus itself.

Chicken soup. Your mother was right. :) Try chicken soup -- it may actually help fight viruses.

I do not personally recommend Nyquil in particular for children. They may very well sleep but it is just not worth the risk when it is questionable whether it actually works.

happycats
April 14th, 2005, 09:41 PM
AARRRGGGG. I just typed out all the ingredients of nyquil and lost it :mad:
*sigh* here it goes again,

CK these are the ingredients: antihistamine, chlorpheniramine maleate antitussive, dextromethorphan HBr decongestant, pseudoephedrine HCI......WHEW now looking at it thats alot of "stuff".

CK do you really think this is unsafe for my son??
If so, I guess I will have to resort to the good natural remedy's you mentioned !
Thank you, I would never want to compromise my son's health in any way, and I am sorry for recomending this medication,if it's unsafe!

Eleni
April 14th, 2005, 09:49 PM
thats interesting my sons doctor actually gave us samples of benelyn the last time issac had a cold that he had trouble kicking

Personally i trust my family doctor since ive never had reason not too, and he beleives that cough suppressants wont harm my kids if used appropriatly.

comes down to opinion I suppose.

as for studies, studies are great but first hand experience even if all the medication do is improve sleep for a very grumpy sick child, then its still worth the cost to me, and any of the mums here who ahve been sitting up at 3 am with a stuffy congested kid probably would second that!

Eleni

CyberKitten
April 14th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Imho, nothing in medecine comes down to opinion. I just did a seminar with some family docs - CME's are continuing education for family doctors and others in pediatrics and I teach some of that at our med school. If a doc is Board certified, s/he needs to keep up!

Unfortunately, many family docs have been dispensing drugs that are inppapropriate for children without thinking about it. I think it is a case of having too many patients, not enough time and pharmacutical reps at the door with all kinds of samples. That study is also very new and my guess is someone not involved in academic medicine may not have read it.

Alas, i see the results of some of these "mistakes" since inappropriate medication of children can lead to aplastic anemia. I am doing a personal inventory and participating in a study now on the correlation between certain antibiotics and aplastic anemia. I have had more children than I want to who have been given a med like zithromax (not approved for children until very recently and even then with sev restrictions) and while their initial minor infection is cleared up, they end up requiring a bone marrow transplant! The same infection would have ended with amoxicillin. Zithromax is like swatting a fly with a sledge hammer!

Also, doctors sometimes feel the need to give in to the demands of parents who read and see all this info on TV or elsewhere.

Anyway - I do not want to go offtopic. Just please be careful. There are some good GP's and pediatricians in small communities but there are also some are not Board certified, do not keep up with the most recent research or who prescribe/recommend something that may not be life threatening but not entirely necessary either.

And re: "studies are great but first hand experience even if all the medication do is improve sleep for a very grumpy sick child, then its still worth the cost to me" I realize you are looking at it for the quick fix and as a mom but I see more sick children in a wek that you will probably see in your life (unless you do work in a Children's hospital). I have LOTS of first hand experience. I simply do not believe in anectodal evidence - I want the studies and the results! We see what we want to see in anectodal info. It is simply not credible. (That does not mean I do not utilize it myself from time to time to explain something or make someone feel better).

It is not worth the cost if your child is one who has an adverse effect. I have one patient now who took zithro and cold meds for a sinus infection. He is now hanging on by a thread - and I hope to God he can get better fast so that he can qualify for a bone marrow transplant. His parents are both health care professionals (tho worked in a community hospital with just a small peds unit) and also trusted these meds. Now that they are our centre - and not very happy with the ER doc who made the mistake. And he did it rather honestly - samples from reps and so forth.

I don't mean to sound cranky. I am sure your doc is fine (Is he a peditrician?). Is he involved in a clinical trial with Benalyn? Has he completed his latest CME? Is he Board Certified? He probably thinks it's can't hurt and he may be right - it is not the worst medication on the market. I just hope he listed the adverse effects as well.

CyberKitten
April 14th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Happycats, it is the combination of those ingredients in Nyquil that are not the best. They probably won't hurt your son but they won't help him either. You are paying for something you may not need.

Give him acetamenophen (Tylenol) and at that age (am assuming he is young?), even that medication can make him sleepy, especially if he has a fever. dextromethorphan can be a little too powerful for small children and affect heart rates and cause excitability. Pseudoephedrine is the ingredient in Sudafed (tho it prob has more than in the combo product you purchased) One state has just passed a law requiring pseudoephedrine be kept BEHIND the counter so pharmacists can alert people to its effects (high BP, cardiac risks, glaucoma) and also monitor those who buy it to use it as a key ingredient in the making of methamphetimine (sp?) labs. If a child has any other health problem - especially cardiac ones - they should never take it. Most times, it will not leave any ill effects tho it may keep your child awake as opoosed to sleepy (It affects so many children differently).

Maybe I am just so supercautious because I end up treating the more significant problems. I have seen an increase in aplastic anemia over the years as doctors who do not read the latest news and journals prescribe meds to children, thinking they are little adults. Aplastic anemia is a serious bone marrow failure disease that occurs when the bone marrow stops making enough blood cells. A person has three major types of blood cells – red cells, white cells, and platelets. Anemia results from reduced red cell production, infections are a result of reduced white cell production, and bleeding results from reduced platelet production. The bone marrow is almost empty of blood forming stem cells and is described as hypoplastic or aplastic (Greek for low- or no- growth). It is usually caused by chemicals, pesticides and the stronger meds now being touted by drug companies have given rise to a new kind of chemical that affects the bone marrow! (It all depends on the child).

I don't mean to scare you - just want to advise you to be cautious in accepting every new medication on the market or giving the same meds to your children as you yourself take. I am part of the lab who discovered the correlation between Reyes and ASA (It was also in the context of fighting against the pesticides used in the forest spay program in NB and NS - no mean task when my dad was a pulp and paper mill head honcho, lol) - the study is in Lancet. (prestigous British Journal - my main mentor was a British doc). Now we are looking at aplastic anemia - we have too many cases for a small place like the Maritimes and they ALL are preceeded by the class of drugs similar to zithromax.

happycats
April 14th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Thanks, ,so much for all of your info! And you are most certainly correct, even if the chance of my son being affected by thie things you mention, is slim, there is still a chance, and in my opinion is not worth taking.

My parents get very angry if I give my son any medication, they feel a small child (my son is 4, but is big for his age at 50LB's) amune system is developing and to medicate it, will "screw it up" as my Dad so eloquently put it :rolleyes: . My parents believe in rest and homemade soup, and let your body do the rest!

I guess I should start taking the good advise of the older, wiser !! ;)

Thanks

Prin
April 14th, 2005, 11:26 PM
I think it's great that we have our own pediatrician!!! Yey Cyberkitten!!

I don't have kids, or a cold, but I just wanted to stick in here that you have to be careful with kids' meds for another reason. When I was little, if I coughed and coughed, my dad would come in with purple syrup that didn't work, but he gave me the rare attention that you get from a hard-working single dad. I used to fake being sick or fake the extent of my sickness to get the attention and the syrup because I figured that if the syrup didn't work, it wouldn't hurt to have some even when I was healthy...

So ya, if you shower your kids with attention when they are sick, chances are you're overmedicating them too... :)

Eleni
April 15th, 2005, 06:27 AM
CyberKitten,

with all due respect I trust my childrens doctor he been their doctor since my Oldest was born. If hegives me something for my childrens cold I trust that it will be safe for them to take, and to be brutally honest Im very much more reluctant to take the advice of a doctor on a pet message board who I dont know.

as for if my childrens doctor is board certified, I would certainly hope so, as far as I understood ALL doctors are board certified.

excuse me if im not wording things very well im quite tired been up all night with the kids.

Eleni

chico2
April 15th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Awww Nyquil...I almost became a Nyquil addict :D ,after a cold,loved the feeling of drowsyness sooo much,I even used it as a sleepingmed when I was well,not good!!

Writing4Fun
April 15th, 2005, 09:18 AM
My parents get very angry if I give my son any medication, they feel a small child (my son is 4, but is big for his age at 50LB's) amune system is developing and to medicate it, will "screw it up" as my Dad so eloquently put it :rolleyes: . My parents believe in rest and homemade soup, and let your body do the rest!
My doctor would get along very well with your parents. :D He's a young guy (so it's not like this is an "old fashioned" view), but is of the belief that people are overmedicating their children these days. I also firmly believe in letting the body deal with minor ailments itself.

however I saw this coming, my husband went back to work 2 weeks ago after workign from home for 4 months so HE brought us germs to show he loves us
Eleni - tell your hubby he's supposed to bring home the bacon, not the bacteria! :p

CyberKitten
April 15th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Chico, for some reason, Nyquil makes me feel weird - similarly to Sudafed, kind of hyper - well same ingredient so duh, lol I wish it made me sleepy, lol

I understand Eleni. I am sure your doc is fine - just wondered about him giving out samples - guess he had to get rid of them or something. (I have a box full - I don't give them to kids but then most of my patients are sooo sick!) Unfortunately in Canada - the US too for that matter - not every doc is Board certified and this situation is worse now that there are too few docs. It is up the hospital Board (or health region Board - now that every province has been implementing changes galore). And some of them overlook that little bit of info. An important bit in my book but I can't change everything. You know what they say about fighting the battles you CAN win, and so on.

Writing4Fun - love the line about bringing home the bacon and not the bacteria.<g>

Eleni
April 15th, 2005, 12:18 PM
I dont have prescription coverage, so when possible the doctor gives out the sample packets he gets to save me money.

As far as I know this isnt a new practise among family doctors or even pediatritions.

i like the bacon comment too gonna use it on hubby when he gets home :)
Eleni

CyberKitten
April 15th, 2005, 01:01 PM
That makes sense actually Eleni. He may have trying to help you. I'd say what's common re: pharmacutical companies is that they hand out samples of their meds like they are candy to us and hope we will "try" them on our "unsuspecting customers". Samples are just a small part of the wooing by pharm reps too - it goes all the way to computers and free vacations and cos always sponsor booths and publications at conferences. It is an endless list. I do not say no to samples but try to keep up with the new meds as they are added to the CPC (pharmacutical compendium). Most docs keep up at least with the ones their specialty uses.

But I have always been supercautious and one of my best friends (from med school at Harvard) now works for the NIH in the US so I was aware of the probs with vioxx as far back as 2000 when she was telling me - since she was part of a team studying it - DO NOT prescribe it!

I also like the work of Marcia Angell - former editor of New England Journal of Medicine (a pathgologist by training - in fact she has written a text on that subject) - who just released a great book on the evils of the drug industry - how they invent illnesses just to sell drugs. Look her up - you can find some parts of the book online.

Maybe I am just a cynic but I do like the old standbys - and hate the indiscriminate use of antibiotics, and just overuse of meds in general. I have conducted numerous studies for what we now call Health Canada on this subject - it irks me to see docs prescribing just to get the patient out of the office or because a patient demands it after seeing it on TV. (The dinner hour is now the health hour onTV- most ads are for drugs!)