Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Spammer gets nine years!!!!! (also, gripe about unsolicited fliers).

Cactus Flower
April 14th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Well the first mass spammer just got sentenced to nine years (here in the U.S) for sending out mass emails under a false name! I HOPE this scares off the rest of them, and that I start seeing a difference in my inbox.

Spam is a big issue with me. I loathe it.

Also, I have an issue with unsolicited fliers in my regular mailbox. Calling and telling them to take you off their mailing list does not always work. I've actually been told a time or two that there's nothing they can do about it, they just automatically go out. So then I tell the post office I don't want them in there, and they say they have to put them in there. What the? Save a tree or two and just don't put them in my mailbox! Sheesh! Not very complicated. They should have a "do not stuff" number I can call, (like the "do not call" number for telemarketers), that assures my mailbox won't be stuffed with solicitations.

Whew. I feel better now :D .

Anyway, good news about the conviction!

Writing4Fun
April 14th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Yesssss! Woo, hoo! Doing my little happy dance over here. I can't stand spam e-mail. I recently purchased Notron Anti-Virus (yes, I know, I was really taking my chances prior to that). Now most of these e-mail are blocked because they almost always have a virus attached anyway. :D

Well, I'll tell ya about the junk mail in your mail box. The companies actually pay the post office to put them in there. Sometimes, they don't have your name on them, they just go in every box. That's the cheaper version. For a few more bucks, they can have the post office print your name & address on the piece of mail, I guess it makes it look more "professional" and some people might think they actually have to read it because their name is on it. I don't think your name is on any "list" other than the post office's mail directory. My neighbors just let their mailbox fill up to the point that the post office has to throw out all the junk mail to make room for the legitimate mail. Might be different in the US, though...

Eleni
April 14th, 2005, 08:33 AM
I hate telemarketers, as well as spammers

we had this one telemarketing place call to try and sell me tickets to some event
i was 9 months pregnant and going for a c section teh next week I told thme my finances and time are a but tied up and wasnt interested. they said oh well you can bring the baby..

i hung up lol

the only thing i find worse is people coming to the door to promote their religion it always happens when im tryign to get everyones dinners sorted

Eleni

Writing4Fun
April 14th, 2005, 08:49 AM
I think I hate telemarketers worse tham spammers! :evil:

I had one woman call me up at 10 minutes before 9 one night. The kids were just getting to sleep, and I was trying to get some work done. I said, "Do you realize what time it is?" She said, "Oh, well, we have ten minutes left in our shift." So, I said, "Go home ten minutes early," and hung up. :p

I had another woman call one night. She said, "Good evening, m'am. How are you tonight?" I said, "Tired." She said, "That's nice." So, I hung up. I mean, really!!

My all-time favourite are the people who call once a week to try to sell me meat. Yes, they want to send me a free sample of their meat, so I can maybe buy a cow from them. :confused: I've politely asked them to leave me alone, but they insist on continually calling me - no joke, once a week. So, the last time they called, I told them I'd report them for harrassment if they ever called back. I haven't heard from them since (been at least a month - now you know I just jinxed myself! :p ).

JDG
April 14th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Wow! That incredible.

I hope we see a drop in email spam! That would be awesome! I have so many filters, Anti-Virus, Pop-Up Blockers and Anti-Spam that I sometimes miss 'real' emails. . . .to be fair, most of the time it IS my mother in law telling me about her garden, but still. . . .

When I lived in England I put my phone number on the 'telephone preference service' ( http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/ ) with the Government - which meant I never (and I mean NEVER ;) ) got any telemarketing calls, so when I moved back to Canada finding a similar service was one of the first things on my list, this is what I found - and thus far, it has been good. I've been back in Canada for 2 months, and I have only had 2 calls (both in the first week). . .

The Canadian Marketing Agency: Do Not Call Service:

http://www.cmaconsumersense.org/marketing_lists.cfm

Joey

Schwinn
April 14th, 2005, 10:49 AM
I'm tired of all those junk mails I get for credit cards and stuff. If they have a return envelope, I tear up thier info, and mail it back to them. That way they have to pay postage to throw out my garbage.

Another time I had some credit place kept calling trying to get me to take thier loan at some interest rate that was stupid high (I asked if thier head office was in Sicily). They wouldn't stop calling, so the last time they called and said I was pre-approved, I replied, "Really? How much?". They then told me, and I got all excited, "That's great! I just have to sign something?" Now I hear the person on the other end getting excited, and we start talking about how awesome it was. Finally, I said, "Oh, this is great. I've been unemployed for a long time, and I could really use the money!!". After a pause, I hear, "Oh, well maybe this isn't the best time for you to get a loan, then." Never heard back from them!

Cactus Flower
April 14th, 2005, 11:05 AM
If they have a return envelope, I tear up thier info, and mail it back to them. That way they have to pay postage to throw out my garbage.

LOVE it, and will use it!

When telemarketers call, their number usually comes up as "unavailable" on the caller I.D. So I just tell them "Since you are blocking your number from appearing on my caller i.d, I will have to assume that you are not a legitimate company". Click.

Great responses on here, folks! JDG, we have a "do not call" number to register on here in the states, too. You have to renew it, though. Nothing like those calls coming in to remind me!

Writing4Fun, your post had me grumbling then laughing my head off, then grumbling.....

Eleni- BRING THE BABY?????? ARGH!!!

Sneaky2006
April 14th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Great news!!!!! I really hope others catch on and are scared it will happen to them also!! I can't wait to hear about someone else getting caught! May they rot :)

If they have a return envelope, I tear up thier info, and mail it back to them. That way they have to pay postage to throw out my garbage. I was going to say the same thing!! Or if you get more than one switch info into each others envelopes, and add blank paper too... they'll have to pay even more! :)