Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dry itchy skin

raingirl
April 14th, 2005, 06:20 AM
I was thinking about this when I posted about the 8 glasses of water thing. I am desperate to find some help for my itchy dry skin, and drinking lots of water was my last option.

Anyone else have really itchy dry flaky skin?? Mine has been really bad for about 4 weeks now. Maybe it's a spring thing??

I have tried everything...I tried the most moisturizing lotions, special soaps, and even went straight to coconut oil on the skin. Even with my skin well moisturized (to the point it was oily and I'm breaking out a little in some areas) my skin is still itchy beyond relief and flaking.

I have atopic dermatitis and some psorisis, so I finally broke down and used some prescription cream for it, but I'm still itching like nuts. usually a good lotion makes my skin fine for 24 hours. I have been applying lotion to my entire body several times a day though.

I have had shingles before, so I thought maybe it was that...but it was different then, and only in one spot.

I'm scratching so much I have scabs and bruises. It's like when you have a mosquitoe bite and you have to scratch and scratch and scratch, and no matter what you do, you get no relief.

Anyone have any secret remedies??

Eleni
April 14th, 2005, 06:41 AM
Aveeno makes and anti itch ointment that works wonders!!

when i was pregnant with my daughter I got this horrible rash and nothing worked to clear it up, however while I had the rash taking a bath with the aveno boath soak and using their anti itch cream worked wonders.

Aveeno is the only reason I got thru that pregnancy with my sanity still intact hehe

Eleni

happycats
April 14th, 2005, 06:45 AM
Hi Railgirl, my son suffers from eczema, I did not want to constantly have to use cortozone cream on him (not healthy). he was covered in a rash from the neck down :eek: . I used coal tar soap (I buy it at the balk barn) curel (the "red" emergency care one) and bathe him in Aveeno oil for dry skin and eczema). Within 2 weeks has skin was rash free and healthy looking!
Whenever I see the slighest sighs of dry skin on him I follow the above regiment, works like a charm!

raingirl
April 14th, 2005, 06:52 AM
Coal tar soap! I didn't think of that. I've seen it at bulk barn. I've used coal tar shampoo on my scalp before and it was ok. I found the best thing for my itchy scalp was tea tree oil, but it didn't do anything for my body! I was actually thinking of hitting bulk barn today anyway. Thanks!

I've never tried aveno as I wasn't sure it worked. I will check it out.

As for the curel "red" remergency lotion, never seen that before. Where do you get it??

happycats
April 14th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Curel (it's actually called "Extreme care", has red writing ) can be found in most drug stores, I get mine at Walmart.
(coal tar soap is great !!!) :)

Eleni
April 14th, 2005, 06:59 AM
my baby has excema, I wonder if that coal tar soap is safe for babies too??

at first only his face was effected, even then it wasnt bad

but nw this last few weeks ive seen patches on his legs back and even his face/head again

the pharmacist gave a cream that was safe but it doesnt seem as effective as id like it to be

ive tried to avoid any prescriptions since its not really too bad.

i think the warmth of spring and soem heatrash and the drool rash that comes from teething have made the problem a bit worse

Eleni

crazyhorse
April 14th, 2005, 06:59 AM
I know what you are going threw, not to the point of bruises and scabs. I do find during the season change my skin suffers. I've been using a dry brush before bathing with either mild sented bath oil,or witch hazel. I use a lofa with liquid body wash. When I get out I use lotion. Check the lable to see if it is water based or oil based, oil based is the best right now for me it takes a longer time to rub in but it dose last longer. For the really bad spots knuckle knees and elbows I use vitamin e oil. I have added more fish to my regular diet. Tuna or salmon salads or sandwiches. Non of this macks it go awat but dose help to make my skin feel better. I hope you find your "thing" that helps. Good luck.

happycats
April 14th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Eleni, I started using coal tar soap on my son when he was 2(I only found out about it then), as for the rash on his face, my son would get that too when he was teething,(also a runny nose and drool, like he had a cold) Dr. said it was normal and "not" eczema.
Check with Dr to see if coal tar soap is OK for your little one.

lezzpezz
April 14th, 2005, 08:42 AM
I am also suffering from the itchiest scalp that I have EVER had! I have spent a fair bit of money on the following products I have used in the last 2 months:

1) Denorex shampoo
2) hot oil treatments
3) Scalpicin lotion
4) Colestral lotion
5) Coal tar shampoo
6) Olive oil (boy was I desperate!)
7) Neutrogena 3% dry scalp formula

The back of my scalp is sore and I am sure it is red and raw. I can't help but dig like mad when I first wake up as it is unbearable. Even my ears are itchy! I have now used the Neutrogena 3% shampoo for 2 days, followed by a healthy squirt of Scalpicin and I feel a bit better today. I am happy to take any suggestions to get rid of this condition. Funny, there is no dandruff present. A couple of ladies that I know have also been suffering with this same malady and one said her stylist said it is called "itchy scalp syndrome" and no dandruff is associated with it. Augh!!

happycats
April 14th, 2005, 08:50 AM
I know this may sound gross, but, don't wash your hair for a few days. wear a cap, or ponytail anything. I think all that washing is cleaning away all of you natural oils! Try it over the week-end, I have a dry skin problem as well, and my scalp get REALLY itchy too. I find if I don't wash my hair for a few days it makes a world of difference, the itch practically goes away!

lezzpezz
April 14th, 2005, 10:15 AM
I will give it a go....I will just wet my hair down for a few days and see what happens. Heck, I like this suggestion: It's FREE!! or a change. Tired of laying out money to solve this! :p

raingirl
April 14th, 2005, 11:01 AM
lezzer, I had that problem 2 years ago. I tried all the shampoos, and even 2 prescriptions from the dermatologist. None helped.

I had heard that tea tree oil helps, so I tried it! It was amazing. It was like instant relief!!

Buy some tea tree oil shampoo, conditioner, and a bottle of 100% pure tea tree oil (I find the cheapest way to buy them is if you find them in a lice kit...cheaper than buying each separate).

Wet your hair, and apply pure tea tree oil to the itchy areas. Allow it to stay on as long as you can take it (the smell gave me a headache after about 10 minutes). Then shower and wash out the oil with a tea tree oil shampoo. Follow with a tea tree oil conditioner.

It was amazing how well it worked for me!

personally, I can't stand not showering even at least once in a 24 hour period. I usually shower twice actually, but only wash one time, the second time is just a rinse, and I was my face and feet only...

lezzpezz
April 14th, 2005, 11:09 AM
I was looking at tea tree products and was going to try them next, but was unsure if the natural way was going to give any better results than the "druggy" way. I will go to the bulk store on my lunchhour and pick some up to try! My head is just starting to flare up again and I am trying in vain NOT to start digging! I also wear a headset at work and this just about drives me bonkers! Have to keep removing it, putting it back on, scratching yadda yadda yadda...... :crazy:

Cactus Flower
April 14th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Been there, done that (including the itchy scalp- drove me NUTS!).

There are several things that could cause such itching:

Allergies (try Benadryl for a few days, see if it helps).

Pancreas problems

Hormones (causes extremely dry skin when you have too must testosterone- yes, ladies have testosterone, too, but too much is not good. There is a drug they prescribe for this problem, pm if you want details).

Stress! (Especially if the scalp-itching is accompanied by a "crawling" sensation- try an oral herbal calming remedy).

Lizzie
April 14th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Raingirl---try the Aveeno like everyone else said. They have a line specifically for Itchy skin. For your face, flakey skin that is super dry can be resolved by using Vichy face cream 3...it's the highest level and it's super condnesed. It's so specialized that you should never use it if you don't have super dry skin as it will create pockets of excess oil on your face! yuck!

lezzer--the natural oils, even baby oil will do great things for your hair and scalp. Like already mentioned, try to avoid washing it every day. Do it every other day if you can. If you have fine hair you can wash and condition one day and then simply rinse with water and a teeny touch of conditioner the next day. This will give you some more umph if you need it.

happycats
April 14th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Thanks Lizzie, I'm going to have to try that Vichy face cream 3. :)

lezzpezz
April 14th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Thank you ladies. Will try any and all of the above. I, too, am a daily washer, so this every other day shampooing should be test of my will!

Prin
April 17th, 2005, 11:06 PM
I missed this thread but I have a lot to say about it...

The pancreas thing- my aunt was so itchy and supposedly they said it meant a problem with her liver. They went in to check and she had a cancerous tumor on her pancreas that was pushing on her liver. They caught it early because of the itching.

Rashes-- I have had a "winter rash" my whole life. I don't scratch, yet it is there. I have seen dermatologist after dermatologist and nothing worked except one cream that used to chemically BURN the rash off. It killed for about an hour, but my rash was gone for over a month afterward. Surprisingly enough, they pulled that cream from the market... (I have scar tissue on my legs from my miracle cream... I would still use it though because it actually made me feel better.)

I actually have to shower every two days, not just hold off on the shampoos. I use Dove Unscented soap, as "prescribed" by every dermatologist I have seen. You're supposed to also turn the heat down on the water in the shower for the last 2 minutes or so, so that when you get out, the water doesn't evaporate so fast. And then PAT dry. Never rub. It actually makes me cringe now to see people rub when they are done swimming.

I also have found that "Clinique Body Butter" works better than most moisturizers because it is really thick (expensive though). (By the way Clinique supposedly doesn't test on animals either, so that is a bonus.)

That's all I've got...

SnowDancer
April 18th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Prin - I also have extremely dry and dehydrated skin - always have. The only bar soap I can use on my body is also Dove Unscented. Never the regular and especially not the bar for sensitive skin - have a reaction to ingredients in products formulated for sensitive skin - which in fact I do have. I have noticed a slight change though in the Dove - and I noticed it before the TV commercials started to state "1/4 moisturizing lotion" instead of "cream". I did try the Dove body washes - I was scratching like mad. I had some success with Aveeno. I use nothing with perfume and add almond oil to unscented body lotions for an extra boost. Face creams I use contain highly refined emu oil and petrolatum - nothing with acids of any sort - I absolutely must hydrate before moisturizing and my makeup is oil based. I have used almond oil as a hair treatment - harder to get out than olive - and I have very thick hair. I actually bought my first sweat shirt years ago because I was scratching so much in a store.

Prin
April 19th, 2005, 01:37 PM
I saw the dove ad yesterday with the people who have been using dove for years and years. I think I could be on it-- I've been using it for 17 years so far!!

I was told by a psychoanalyst that when kids/babies are not touched enough very young, the grow up having chronic rashes and stuff.. Could be true for me, but you never know.

raingirl
April 19th, 2005, 03:40 PM
I went by the stores and looked at the Aveeno products. Funny thing was, the reason I posted here was because I couldn't find the product I used last year, which was the Keri bath oil! Well, they used to put it with the body washes, but it was with the Aveeno products instead! So that's what I ended up getting (as I knew it works, and was cheaper).

On a side note, I tried the Curel emergency lotion and LOVE IT! I love the smell (almost a little citrusy).

happycats
April 19th, 2005, 05:35 PM
On a side note, I tried the Curel emergency lotion and LOVE IT! I love the smell (almost a little citrusy).

Isn't it great ?? I love it too, and seems to last much longer then any other!!

You have to try the coal tar soap, I think you will love that too!