Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Saves Woman During Gator Attack

heidiho
April 13th, 2005, 04:32 PM
A Tampa-area woman is alive after an alligator tried to attack her.

Video

Woman Loses Dog In Gator Attack

The gator didn't make it to her, thanks to the quick move by her dog, who sacrificed his life for hers, WESH NewsChannel 2 reported.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Slideshow: More Images

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cindy Hernandez still has one surviving dog, who she's now keeping close.

"All I could think of is could I make it to the dock? Maybe he'll just get my legs, and right in front of me, in the water, the gator just grabbed him and took him down," Hernandez said.

The dog, named Bob, died in the attack. He was a chow-Labrador mix who Hernandez rescued after he was abandoned seven years ago.

A trapper came in and found the alligator in the Hillsborough River next to Hernandez's home.
Copyright 2005 by WESH.COM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Jackie467
April 13th, 2005, 04:36 PM
That is certainly a bitter sweet story. So glad the lady didn't get hurt or worst, but the poor dog. That is why I never walk Candi near the lakes around here. I live next to lake houston and there are lots of gators there, they could eat her whole. As long as people keep their dogs on leash around the lake they should be fine, gators are actually very frightened of people and will only attack if cornored. but love to eat dogs. crocks on the other hand don't hesitate to attack people, that's why i'm glad there are only gators around here.

heidiho
April 13th, 2005, 06:13 PM
I know that is so sad,i could not imagine,...What an awesome dog