Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

going to two vets??

raingirl
April 13th, 2005, 12:52 PM
I know this sounds like a really stupid question, but can you go to two vets at the same time?

I found a holistic vet about 20 minutes from me that I wanted to take Odin to, to see if she could recommend any remedies for his environmental allergies, etc. I'm not sure I would want her to be my regular vet though. And she will most likely contact my other vet right??

I don't want it to look like I am Vet shopping or that I don't like my other vet.

Prin
April 13th, 2005, 12:58 PM
If you don't tell either about the other one, they won't confer with each other. If you do tell them, if they are petty, they might not treat you as well because you are not loyal...

It's also a bit harder to keep track of what your dog has had done and what each vet knows about his history...

BMDLuver
April 13th, 2005, 12:59 PM
I know of many people that use two vets and it's for very similar reasons you would be doing. If your vet has an aversion to this then the vet should get educated on holistic approaches. It's perfectly normal to do this so there should be no worries about doing so.

raingirl
April 13th, 2005, 01:42 PM
If the new holistic vet is great, I may consider switching, but we will see.... I just thought because of all the problems Odin has, might as well see what the other vet has to offer.

CyberKitten
April 13th, 2005, 02:16 PM
I don't see why a vet would treat anyone differently. That would be unprofessional and unacceptable in my opinion. People choose different doctors. It has not happened often to me but that is probably due to my field. I certainly encourage second opinions if people feel they need or want one. Why would a vet be different? I would be most unimpressed by a vet who treated me and my pet differently because I opted to visit another vet for a particular reason.

Some areas of the country (rural ones especially) may not have that option but those who do should certainly be good consumers for their pets and avail themselves of a variety of services.

Beetlecat
April 13th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Many humans go to two doctors, because they each have different approaches. Your regular doctor does wish for you to say you've been going to a holistic doctor for this and such though, so they know what substances you're taking and all that. I expect it's the same with a vet.

Nothing wrong with looking for new options.

SnowDancer
April 13th, 2005, 04:43 PM
If you have a good relationship with your primary vet it should not be a problem, depending of course on your dog's health condition. I think both vets should communicate though as so many "natural" remedies have the same side effects - or worse - than prescription meds - and you might end up with unexpected allergic reactions when some seemingly harmless ingredient is combined with another - one from each vet. I researched this for myself as I am allergic to many meds - but unfortunately the side effects of the natural remedies were worse than those of prescription meds. Same problem with skin care/cosmetics - nothing is harsher or more irritating to my skin than natural/botanical products - and my Eskie is no exception - which is why we use the same sun block. But communication is key.