Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Walk in Calgary!!

heeler's rock!
April 13th, 2005, 11:41 AM
For anyone in or close to Calgary, let's have an offleash walk this Saturday at River Park. I was thinking 11:00am? It's supposed to hit 17 degrees out, so later is better as it'll be nice and warm!

Post here if you're able to make it! Sarah and Chris, I hope you both can make it!! :D

SarahLynn123
April 13th, 2005, 01:33 PM
The girls and I can make it if your up for the headache!!

Shadow wont be in obedience training for another couple weeks probably so beware. She barks like crazy because she is on a leash and wants to play play play with the other dogs. Also she is the opposite of Belle in every way so that can give you an idication of what she is like. Ah yes and was trained in another language. She does know her basic commands in english but has no recall at all in either languages. (We found that out by accident last weekend). Usually we go to southland park and throw her and my BF in the fenced in pen to play fetch and meet dogs through the fence wich she loves! and Belle and I go for our walk and swim.

Im sure things will go much smoother at River Park because you all are far more experienced then I in training.

So if you are up for it we can make it out,let me know and post a list of things I should bring that may make things easier (treats, a 30' lunge line etc)

Thanks
Sarah

oreokitty
April 13th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Ohhhhh Can I come?

SarahLynn123
April 13th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Ohhhhh Can I come?

Of course! Everyone is always welcome to come. Do you know where it is? If not let us know and I or who ever gets here first will post directions!

See you Saturday!!!

Sarah

SarahLynn123
April 14th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Ive thought about it and decided that were not going to make it this weekend. We talked to a local trainer and got some tips on what to do and we are going to head off to Nose Hill park with a lunge line. There is far less dogs there so I think it will be safer. She goes into training classes in a few weeks so hopefully by summer I will be able to meet up with everyone again with my newly trained dog!!

Have fun and let me know how it was!

Sarah

heeler's rock!
April 14th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Awww! Sarah, that's a shame. I would have loved to give you some tips on training, but I can understand why you'd be afraid to be around a lot of dogs when you just got her. I haven't heard from Chris yet, so I don't know if we'll be going either. I'm thinking of going to the offleash by our house as River Park is a bit of a drive. Where are you taking classes at?

SarahLynn123
April 14th, 2005, 04:21 PM
I talked to a guy at pet planet and he gave me some tips, I was contemplating on sending Graydon and Shadow to do the loose leash course that the humane society puts on. (He needs just as much training as her!!!) Unless anyone has any other ideas on where to send them both!!! (preferably in the NE of Calgary)

If your up for it we can come, she is great with other dogs but I was afraid of her annoying you and everyone else to death! We really could use all the tips we can get. She is a doll though!!!

We could also go to Southland if thats closer for you. Im up for anything really. So let me know either way what you decide, if you decide not to go this weekend, no worries I will head off to Nose Hill.

Im not too concerned about other dogs, she has already been attacked by a mussled dog and she took it like a champ.

Hope to see you Saturday!

Sarah

heeler's rock!
April 14th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Hehehehe! She won't annoy me, trust me! :p

If you want my honest opinion on training, I wouldn't use the humane society. They focus way too much on treat based training, and that's not gonna fix anything, just hide it. Chad at Pet Planet is amazing, and he doesn't use any treats at all. You would really benefit from his courses, but I know Pet Planet is a bit far from you. I can tell you though, through experience, that Chad is one of the best (if not the best) trainers in Calgary.

I would love to meet Shadow on Saturday, so I will definitely meet you if you're sure you wanna go. We can meet at River PArk as I know Southland is a bit of a drive for you. I also find people friendlier at River Park as opposed to Southland anyways. I can help you out with some training tips and such, as I know what it's like to have a rambuctious rescue dog!! (I'm talking about Helix! He's crazy! :D) So, let's say 11:00 if thats till works for you?

Anyone else interested in coming along, please do so! It's always a lot of fun! :)

SarahLynn123
April 14th, 2005, 05:29 PM
11:00 works great for me and we can chat more about Chad then (he's who I talked to) and your opinions on courses I can put them in.

I dont have a computer at home so I will pm you my number and you can give me a call if something comes up and you are unable to make it.

See you then!