Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

so confused!

jan3toc
April 13th, 2005, 03:01 AM
I recently got a puppy, which i was told .. was a American Staffordshire (sp?) .. I took him to the vet today for his first set of shots, and was told they didn't think he had any pitbull or anytype of bull breed in him, they said his face looks like a lab, but he also looks like a rottwielder, i'm so confused! his coloring is brown, different shades, and a bit of white,he was big heavy paws, i saw one of his brothers, and he was a brindle color, anyone wanna guess what breed or breeds he might be?

http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL168/2109899/6974491/90290555.jpg

http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL168/2109899/4098837/92870519.jpg

Prin
April 13th, 2005, 06:14 AM
He looks kinda pitbull to me..

Lizzie
April 13th, 2005, 07:22 AM
I'd say he is a mixed breed for sure. His face does have similarities to a pittie--ears, shape, eyes, etc.

His colouring does also match that of what I would consider a lab/rottie.

chico2
April 13th, 2005, 07:27 AM
My very untrained dogeye,says pit/rottie cross,he is certainly sweet,love those big paws :love:

happycats
April 13th, 2005, 07:39 AM
maybe, Beagle/pitt maybe ??

Sneaky2006
April 13th, 2005, 07:41 AM
My very untrained dogeye,says pit/rottie cross,he is certainly sweet,love those big paws :love:I'd have to agree there... but either way he's 100% cute!

chico2
April 13th, 2005, 07:45 AM
In the first pic,he's head says RottieX,to me.

sammiec
April 13th, 2005, 08:06 AM
It might be easier to tell when he gets a little larger... but I am inclined to say that there is no pit bull in your dog. He does have a similar mug... but I would say definately mix.... my first guess would be rhodesian ridgeback/rottie... but the face says something different....
He doesn't have a typical pittie tail (usually long and thin), he has huge feet with short toes that are not typical pittie... I could be wrong....but he doesn't strike me as pit bull at all.

Dukieboy
April 13th, 2005, 08:24 AM
I agree with Sammie, paws are way huge and tail is way short. Anyway, if your location in Ontario, at least he won't have to grow up muzzled.

Lizzie
April 13th, 2005, 11:35 AM
The Beagle/Pitt suggestion from Happycats could explain the big paws, colouring and certain facial features....

Lucky Rescue
April 13th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Where did you get this cutie?

One thing he definitely is NOT is an American Staffordshire Terrier.

He may have pit bull in him and could be Rott/pit bull cross, a very popular mix with certain idiots.

Very hard to tell with puppies that age. You may be able to figure it out as he gets older.

CyberKitten
April 13th, 2005, 01:23 PM
I am not all that knowledgable about ascertaining what might be a pit bull but I did have a beagle and I can see signs of a beagle in that dig. He is very cute!! He is definitely a mix of some kind, a cute mix. Love those huge paws too!

Sadie's Mom
April 13th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Oh WOW is he ever adorable!!! I see Pit in there too, the ears look like it to me, although they seem a bit large. It's so hard to tell what he is, it'll get easier as he gets older though. Enjoy your new baby!

Schwinn
April 13th, 2005, 01:30 PM
I don't think he'd be a pittie/rotti cross (unless there is something else mixed in). That's what our Daisy is and she has the definitive black and brown markings, and her body type, I think, was a little different when she was a pup. And yes, we think it was one of said idiots who "bred" her, then discarded her when they found out she wasn't mean. He might be a pitti/rotti-something-something. As for the pittie part, it's tough to tell, in my limited opinion. The head looks kind of pittish, but it doesn't seem quite as square as usual. Is there a ridge in his skull? Also, I think if he was standing that might give an indication if he has the pit type body, though I don't think it would be that obvious at that age.

deerclan
April 13th, 2005, 01:52 PM
jan3toc your little cutie there may have Staff but not realy sure though here is a pic of my Staff maybe you can compare :D You be the judge :D

jan3toc
April 13th, 2005, 02:40 PM
thanks so much for the suggestions... i got him through friends .. i had been thinking of getting a puppy for some time, i only saw him and his brother, which was brindle coloring, i never thought about asking for the pictures of parents, but i think that's what i'm going to do, try to get the pictures of his parents. thanks!

raingirl
April 13th, 2005, 02:51 PM
first thing I thought was beagle as well...

SnowDancer
April 13th, 2005, 03:23 PM
I also can see some Beagle but not sure about the pit bull. But if you live in Ontario, might be just as well if puppy doesn't have that mix. I know this will sound kind of dumb, but can you tell by the teeth? That is what most people are afraid of. I do realize other breeds have very strong teeth - my 21 lb. Eskimo being an extremely good example. But the set of the teeth - would that help?

Karin
April 13th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Rotti X yourguessisasgoodasmine.

He's a keeper anyway you look at him.