Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

White dog, tag stains

dogmelissa
April 12th, 2005, 10:31 PM
I have a Maltese X dog. Little, white & furry. And because I'm a good dog-mommy (or I try) he has a nice assortment of tags on his collar; rabies vaccination, dog license, ID tag & microchip information. However, one or more of these tags is made out of not-so-great metal, or the ring they're hanging from is made from not-so-good metal, and there is always a grey stain on his chest, that I can't even seem to wash out of him (shampooed 3 times today and it's still there!).

So what I'm wondering is; is there some sort of plastic container (not too big, he's just a little dog) that I can attach to his collar to contain the tags? Or something like that? Or should I make one out of fabric...?

And while we're at it, any suggestions on how to get rid of the colour now that it's there? I'm sure after another couple baths and a haircut, it'd be gone, but if I can't prevent it, I need to get rid of it.

Thanks in advance,
Melissa

Prin
April 12th, 2005, 10:37 PM
I know so many little dogs with that problem. I thought about it and the best thing would be those plastic things you put on your keys but they don't make them big enough. Other people I know put them on the leash. No one I know has been successful at getting it out of the fur though, other than letting it grow out.

SnowDancer
April 12th, 2005, 10:44 PM
My Eskimo could develop that problem - hasn't yet - maybe because I have attached everything to rings at the back of his harness. I will ask on Thursday when I take him for his socialization class which is held at a Groomer's - and we need new shampoo anyway. He gets trimmed up every 3 months only - so far so good. I have found a harness to work much better on him than his collar did. Should I get another collar I expect it will be rolled leather.

Eleni
April 12th, 2005, 11:30 PM
coat them in clear nail polish and let them dry, they wont stain anymore, its what I do with sams

Eleni

Prin
April 12th, 2005, 11:39 PM
The tags you mean right? Not the fur? I got a mental pic of nail polishing your dog's neck..

Eleni
April 13th, 2005, 04:44 AM
lol yeah the tags hehe

Eleni

mandiez
April 13th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Ohhh the clear nail polish sounds like it would work, i'm gonna have to try that. My pup is still too small for a stable colar yet, but when it's time, i'll try that forsure.

What a useful tip!!!!

Mandi
:cool:

JDG
April 13th, 2005, 09:15 AM
I was on Ebay the other day checking out the prices of Pet Tags and I stumbled across this item:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52354&item=4372268489&rd=1

I don't know if it works, but I think its what you were thinking about :) :)

Joey

SnowDancer
April 13th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Would be interested in learning if the little cases would prevent the jingling of tags/charms etc.

Writing4Fun
April 13th, 2005, 10:07 AM
If it didn't stop the jingling, I'm pretty sure it would at least muffle it. I'd love to hear from someone with first-hand experience, though. I don't know why dogs always feel the need to have a nice, loud shake right in front of the baby's room when he's having a nap. :evil:

dogmelissa
April 14th, 2005, 12:17 AM
coat them in clear nail polish and let them dry, they wont stain anymore, its what I do with sams
Eleni

How often do you have to re-apply the polish? I'm just guessing, but I'm going to guess that the tags rubbing on each other would eventually rub/flake the polish off. Otherwise, it does sound like a great solution!

(Adding to my mental list of things to get; jumbo bottle of clear nail polish)

Thanks!
Melissa

dogmelissa
April 14th, 2005, 12:21 AM
I was on Ebay the other day checking out the prices of Pet Tags and I stumbled across this item:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52354&item=4372268489&rd=1

I don't know if it works, but I think its what you were thinking about :) :)

Joey

Yes, I've seen these in the pet store, but what I understood from the package was that the tags just rest inside of this pouch, and aren't attached to the collar. Of course, I could be wrong, and after searching on the web, it seems that this just wraps around the collar/tags to keep them from dangling. But then the question comes up, how well does this work on various-sized tags? Because my microchip tag is about half the diameter of the rabies tag, and the ID tag is bigger again, so I'd wonder if it'd be possible for one of them to still slip out?
I suppose I could buy one and try it and if I don't like it, just return it. Will look into the sizes next time I'm at the store.

Thanks,
Melissa

dogmelissa
April 14th, 2005, 12:26 AM
I know so many little dogs with that problem. I thought about it and the best thing would be those plastic things you put on your keys but they don't make them big enough. Other people I know put them on the leash. No one I know has been successful at getting it out of the fur though, other than letting it grow out.

Good thing I have a dog with ever-growing fur, then! My big concern about having the tags on the leash is that the leash isn't always attached to the dog, so if he gets out, he won't have any ID (he's not tattooed) other than his microchip, and since you can't tell by looking at an animal that is has a chip, I'd be worried that it'd get missed.
He does wear a harness when we're walking (he's a puller), but I'm not comfortable leaving the harness on him in the house due to the risks of him getting tangled on something (he likes to crawl under the bed or couch) and getting hurt. The collar isn't the best for that either, but it has less to catch than the harness.

The stain did fade somewhat today (he had another bath, 2 shampoos after the 2 shampoos yesterday) but it's still there. I suppose it doesn't matter anyhow cause his tags hang right on that spot so you can't really tell.
Oh well, he needs a haircut this week anyhow, so perhaps I'll get one of the pouches mentioned below (above) and start fresh.

Thanks,
Melissa

Eleni
April 14th, 2005, 05:07 AM
it does need recoating everyso often, you can look at the tag and see that some of it has rubed away thats how tyou tell to polich it again

happycats
April 14th, 2005, 05:49 AM
In petsmart they have these little tubes (about the size of those ones you put a roll of film in) They are actually for holding poo poo bags, and they attach to a dogs collar, I think they would probably work great for holding all the dogs tags!

raingirl
April 14th, 2005, 06:25 AM
that's funny. I have a white dog and he has no stains. At least I know what to do if it happens.

CyberKitten
April 14th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Have you tried veinegar and water? It is what people who show cats - and I am thinking Siamese here (mostly white) - use to both get rid of stains and give the fur ax extra shine. You need a 50-50 solution but then you must wash ALL of it off the animal. Dawn dishwashing liquid is also used by people who show kitties. (I do not see why it would not work with dogs)

SnowDancer
April 14th, 2005, 07:16 PM
I asked the Groomer today. She suggested that tags/charms and the rings etc. be made from silver rather than brass. Obviously the Rabies tag isn't silver, but I guess maybe the ring could be once I get the little "Prince" a couple of pieces - right now he has only his ID charm attached to his harness.

I also asked about the little tag "collar purses" - and was told they are reasonably large and not suited to every dog - particularly the small variety. Noise of rattling metal is muted of course. I have seen some dogs with serious jewellery - male and female - so I guess the little collar purse would sort of render the buying of said items pointless. My dog is now into a little colour - before it was black, black and more black - matches his eyes and nose. But no red - Eskies look like Santa as it is. I am giving in to his feminine side - everyone thinks he his a girl - those eyes and eyelashes! At the moment I want to find him a bandana with a velcro closure that isn't "too" feminine.

dogmelissa
April 14th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Ok, dang it, what kind of crazy fur does my dog have? Or maybe, it's what kind of crazy fur does your dog have, raingirl, that gets no stains?? Or maybe it's just the tags??

Silver vs brass. *Analyzing the tags on Cube's collar* Not sure what the ring is made out of, but it seems to be the same stuff that the little metal "hold the size of the collar" piece is, and doesn't seem to be leeching colour. It also doesn't appear to be the microchip tag, and I don't think that's made of silver. Did your groomer mean silver in colour?? I have a tag from the Humane Society of Canada (you can get one for free: http://www.humanesociety.com) which is gold in colour but obviously engraved on some sort of silver-coloured metal, as the lettering is silver and so is the edge where the ring has rubbed a bit away. The license tag I have is silver/grey, and could be the source of the problem, but personally I think it's all from the rabies tag, because all the red colouring on the surface has been rubbed almost to non-existence and there seems to be a lot of "crud" on the tags on either side of it. Will try coating one at a time with nail polish and see if I can figure out which one is the culprit!

Vinegar sounds like an option, but I'm not sure I can get him to sit still enough for it, he doesn't really like baths (despite having 2-3 a week!). But he tolerates the shampoo pretty well so perhaps. Dish soap scares the beejesus out of me. I worked with a girl who fostered some kittens. One of them apparently ate some of her dish soap (Dawn, incidentally), and later that day, despite everything the vets tried, it ended up dying. I don't want to take a chance that even a tiny *drop* might get into my dog. Yes, the kittens were tiny, and he could have eaten quite a lot of it, but same as with chocolate; better safe than sorry.

I will still look at the Pet Pocket thing on the weekend, but I think the nail polish really sounds like a better alternative. Then I can still *hear* him running after the cats, but he won't turn grey.

Thanks!
Melissa

raingirl
April 14th, 2005, 08:55 PM
How long do you keep your collar on though? My dog only wears his collar when he goes outside, so he only has it on a few hours each day. maybe that's why?? He has three tags. A nice steel one, and rabies one (red) and a yellow plastic one for his microchip.

SnowDancer
April 14th, 2005, 10:37 PM
DogMelissa - I will get further details on next visit. I had a chance to ask the groomer as I was picking up my Eskie who was anxious to leave and as she was trying to get a Bernese to sit still to finish his grooming. For sure she said silver instead of brass - and I think she meant "silver" - hopefully not, but with my luck, she did. She also quickly said that some white dogs have a problem with metal choke chains leaving marks. As it turns out, my pup's ID tag is brass because it did not come in silver as she had suggested to the nice lady who gave it to him. But because it is hanging from a ring at the back of his harness which he only wears on his walks, it really hasn't touched his fur. He wears a Canine Friendly Safety Vest - looks like a bib and has a lining to help prevent irritation. Really has it rough.

dogmelissa
April 14th, 2005, 11:39 PM
How long do you keep your collar on though? My dog only wears his collar when he goes outside, so he only has it on a few hours each day. maybe that's why?? He has three tags. A nice steel one, and rabies one (red) and a yellow plastic one for his microchip.

That could be why. My dog's collar is on substantially more than it is off--he wears it at all times except when he is having a bath or when he is drying off from his bath. Or for a few minutes when he gets a massage or to give him a nice neck scratch... you get the picture.

2 of my 3 cats also wear collars 24/7 (one of them has a magnet on hers to open her cat door so she can eat) but one of them gets mats if she wears a collar, so she doesn't, and she should because she's the one that's always trying to sneak out the door!! And the one with the magnet on her collar is a burmese/himalayan/ragdoll (she's a moogie but these are what she looks like) and has the same kind of ID tag, and the magnet and has never gotten a mark from them--and I'd expect that with the grooming, cats would.

But oh well. Guess I'll just have to have a dog with a grey chest until I can figure out how to prevent and/or treat it.

Melissa

dogmelissa
April 14th, 2005, 11:45 PM
SnowDancer...
I'm laughing at the picture you just created; big white fluffy dog wearing bright orange reflective vest (which looks like one of the safety vests we have at work). It's funny!! I'm sure that he's much safer than my little doggie, who wears a coat when it's cold out, but has no reflective strips on it (that's for next year's model that I'm making). But then again, I figure since I'm out with the dog, the chances that he's going to *need* reflective strips are reduced--people likely won't see the dog but they had BETTER see me, and he's usually not far away.

Please do check with your groomer. I'm hoping she's not talking about sterling silver... I know our dogs are spoiled but holy cow, to get a dog tag in sterling silver every year? Yikes. I'd rather have a grey-chested dog!!
Anyhow... no big rush, it's not like having a coloured chest is harming the dog, I'm just curious cause it sure makes him look dirty and then I feel like people think I'm a bad mom because my dog is so dirty. :( But since I don't really care what people I see only when I'm out walking the dog think of me, I'm not really bothered by that!

Thanks!
Melissa

SnowDancer
April 15th, 2005, 11:21 AM
dogMelissa - Just to torment myself, I Googled "Pet Silver ID Dog Tags" - important to start with "Pet" or you get army tags. Yep, they sure do make them - and also in Gold and Platinum. One little number went for $995 US - well I guess you wouldn't have to worry about the dog being stolen - just the charm. Many of the sterling tags cost in area of $50 - $75 US and since I an CDN - not good. But very good that in my opinion "less is more" when it comes to jewellery. My Eskie's current vest is black but he does need a second one as he does not have a collar and if something happens to it - yikes. He did wear a collar before being neutered at 7 months - we needed to determine size to get. It was a nightmare getting collar done up and also enabled him to have better access to his leash - we are on number 13 - very strong teeth. Many people have stopped me to ask where I got this harness. I did try the old style on my mini Dachshund several years ago - took him 2 minutes to get out of it. So colour choices are red, bright royal blue, orange and red - with red being out. I figure he can look like a crossing guard. With his very black eyes and nose he would look striking in a classy deep rose - even if he is a "boy" - Johnny Depp kind of guy. It is good though to have the bright vest when walking him in the ravine against the snow so that he can be seen - even crossing the street on his leash is tough since drivers do not pay attention and are driving at twice the speed limit. My dappled Dachshund blended right into the foliage so he needed something bright as well. Will report back after I double-check on the silver - but so far the Eskimo has proven to be a $$$ dog - but we have agreed - no middle of the night trips to Guelph - so surgery offsets his extra costs. Meanwhile I shop at the used clothing store. And with his sensitivity to corn and wheat food is expensive, plus he destroys all toys unless they are made for Rottis - all 21 lbs. of him. Yesterday he got new shampoo - Tea Tree with Shea Butter for sensitive skin and his own sun block. Normally he uses my Erno Laszlo sun block on his nose, but it is out of stock everywhere - think it is being reformulated - and as I am on my last tube and it is the only one I can use on my very pale skin (red hair) - "someone" had to switch. For once it wasn't me.

CyberKitten
April 15th, 2005, 11:42 AM
YY had a pink patch from her collar (She got it wet - hanging around the bathtub will do that to a kitty, poor baby!) and I washed it out carefully and somewhat daintily ;) with vinegar and water. It worked very well! (and all I got was a few yowls!)

mafiaprincess
April 15th, 2005, 01:12 PM
http://www.dogtagsonline.com/orderform.html

The tags come with tag silencers. As someone mentioned the ones for keys are too small... but this is the same idea but dog tag sized.

Bathing a dog 2-3 times a week really isn't that kind to their skin. We bath ours once a week since she tends to get into mud a lot lately, and even that is awfully drying.

CyberKitten
April 15th, 2005, 01:24 PM
What about those plastic tags that one can purchase for Beanie Babies? They are about the same size as dog/cat tags.

They can be ordered at http://www.tytrade.com/TyStore

MafiaP, the same is true for Siamese kitties - they have short hair so too much washing can dry it out.

SnowDancer
April 21st, 2005, 06:57 PM
DogMelissa - We were at socialization again today so I asked about the type of "silver" ID tags and other charms. The groomer said just silver "coloured" - she had some silver looking charms that would be fine. Sterling of course would be lovely. My Eskie's orange Safety Vest is on order - so he will have a backup - the little crossing guard.

katy82
April 23rd, 2005, 10:56 AM
I had a problem with Phil my american eskimo's neck turning blue from her collar being wet. She had a blue ring for weeks! Somebody mentioned that I should use Palmolive dishwashing soap and it worked perfectly where her regular puppy shampoo didn't work at all. She hasn't had any problems with her tags yet (knock on wood!) but the dish soap worked wonders for getting the stain off her coat.

SnowDancer
April 23rd, 2005, 12:29 PM
katy82 - Elmo used to wear a black collar until he was 8 months and we fitted him with a Safety Harness - MUCH easier for walking him. But never once, despite Elmo's love of being wet, did the black dye ever run from his collar. Maybe try a different brand of collar next time - price of course not always being the determining factor if colour will run. If Elmo does get a collar it will most likely be rolled leather - the rolled collar sits better on the long hair. Glad the Palmolive worked - must have been hard to rinse though unless you used a minute amount. The joys of a white dog - my first. Hope Phil and kitty cat are getting along.