Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitten questions *again*

Ghullums_mom
April 12th, 2005, 07:24 PM
ok, so here i am with these adorable kittens. 8 weeks old and getting bigger by the second. my problem is Ghullum wont ween them. i dont know what i should do.
another thing that is bugging me is the kitten that had the eye infection still has it. it went away for a month or so but it came back basically over night. i took him back to the vet and got more pink goo. i think its like penecillin or amoxicillian. but anyway. what can i do to help him and get them weened. ghullums a bit of a ''blonde'' cat and i think she lacks the will to say no to them.

CyberKitten
April 12th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Very often, the human mom needs to help a feline mom with weaning. You rpobably should have began ealier (like 4 weeks) but I guess there is no choice in the matter.

Start by feeding the kittens formula in bowls. Gradually introduce solid food. Strained baby food or Hill's brand "a/d" in a can works well. Or you can moisten dry kitten food with formula or water. Don't expect kittens to be weaned overnight. They should begin to east more and more from the bowl. You may have to actually poke their little noses into the food so they get the idea. (I've hand reared kittens so that was my experience. One thought I was nuts when I wanted him to eat out of a bowl and not from a bottle!)

Canned kitten food can also be used to introduce the kitten to solid food. Young kittens cannot chew dry kitten food without moistening. Check instructions on the container. Try to buy high quality food for the kittens (from the vet or pet food stores). Much of what is sold in supermarkets is pure junk food.

Changes in diet or certain foods can cause diarrhea, so keep an eye on stools. Diarrhea can be life-threatening to young kitten.

As for the infection, please return to the vet and get more antibiotics or a better workup so you know what is wrong!

Good luck!

Ghullums_mom
April 12th, 2005, 08:14 PM
well the kittens eat dry food and they eat ghullums wet food when she walks away from it. the do eat regualar kitten food. therre just still feeding on her. i did take my male to the vet and got more liquid pink stuff. anitibiotics of some kind.

twinmommy
April 13th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Don't jump on me, guys, I'm just speculating,

Would Ghullum not naturally refrain from weaning because one of the kittens is not well? It seems to me that nature always takes care of itself, and I'll bet that once that infection clears up, she'll wean them.

Ck is a much greater wealth of info, but I'd just thought I'd ask if that could be a possibility..

CyberKitten
April 13th, 2005, 01:39 PM
It could be a possibility Twinmommy but then it seems she would wean the others and not that one. Feline mamas can be selective.

Ghullums_mom
April 13th, 2005, 10:26 PM
the one kitten i see feeding more often than the others is the sick on, thats a thought that never occured to me, but hes half her size! and only 8 weeks old, well 9 now,but wow! thanks guys. i love the plethera of knowledge you guys offer