Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help Luke Is Yelping All Night Long In Crate

ksjduffle
April 12th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Hello I have a 16 week old mini doxie that started out great with potty trainning now pees and poops inside all the time, when im staying on the same schedule i have not changed anything but he yelps all night long in the kennel which has started to wake up my 1yr old daughter. When I put him in the kennel he has just come in from going potty I give him his favorite blanket and I go to bed he yelps non-stop!!!!!!!!!! Everyone says just let him come to bed with you which I will not do because I dont want him jumping off of the bed and going potty on the floor. I have tired a hot water bottle and everything else any suggestions are more than welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused: :( :eek:

SnowDancer
April 12th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Dachshunds are very stubborn and Luke wants into that bed. Is the crate next to your bed? If not, I would put it there, but he will still cry. You could leave the gate open, but then he would stand on his little tippy toes and pull at your blankets until you give in. First night he would wait a few hours, then 2 hours, then 1 hour and then demand to go to bed when you do - actually will be annoyed if you want to stay up after he decides it is bed time. If he goes potty just before bed and you limit his water he might just be able to hold it for longer than you think - all depends on Luke and his bladder. Re jumping down from the bed, I really suggest you try and rig up a ramp of sorts - or when you are in a pet store check out what they have if you are not handy - we definitely are not. Ramps are much more common place now than when my Dachshunds were puppies. Apparently if you can train them to use the ramps while still puppies they will use them throughout their lives which could really help the pressure on their backs. Duke and Jack made it into the bed very quickly! Amazing how much space a 9 lb. dog can take up and of course you don't dare move once they are comfortable.

Lissa
April 12th, 2005, 05:53 PM
My puppy gave me the same problem, only I decided to give in. Being abandoned at 6 weeks old and being a pack-oriented hound really made him quite "needy" of constant companionship. He slept in his crate during the night for the first 2 weeks, then without changing a thing, he started causing problems. Dodger's problem was that he hated the crate and since I didn't agree with crate training in the beginning I gave in.

If you are planning on letting your doxie sleep in the bed with you in the future, then I would do like Snow Dancer suggests and reduce his water in-take (I didn't give my puppy water after 8:00pm) and let him stay with you. I never once had to take Dodger out in the night (he likes to sleep so he could go from 10:00pm-8:00am at 6 weeks of age without needing to pee).

If you want to persist with the crate training then I would make sure your puppy is exhausted at bed time (oftentimes I had to sit with Dodger until he fell asleep and then tip-toe away). If your puppy is awake then you will have to put him in the crate with a no-nonsense attitute, do not linger around or speak to him in a baby-tone-voice. Maybe leaving something that smells like you would help. But again, I agree with Snow Dancer, letting him sleep in the same room with you may also be beneficial. Unfortunately, it is probably going to take patience and a few more sleepless nights for your doxie to accept his crate. Good Luck!

Melissa

SnowDancer
April 12th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Lissa, Just try and sneak away from a Dachshund, particularly if you are the pup's main person. You are given just enough time - in pup's view - to go to the bathroom and that is it. Any longer, well a Dachshund has a job to do - to protect and be served - but will share. The Dachshunds were more demanding than the Beagles about getting into bed - and the Beagles were no slouches. The attachment was always greatest to me - my husband could sneak out, that was okay. Somehow this has happened again with the Eskimo - I didn't see this coming.

Lissa
April 12th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Snow Dancer - I didn't realize that doxie's got so attached!! I never knew that they only chose 1 main person! But, in your case it sounds like your dog's will always adore you, no matter what the breed..what do you do to them!?!! I take it your dog's have always slept with you - where does your husband sleep!! LOL

SnowDancer
April 12th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Lissa, Mini Dachshunds were the dogs of my life - particularly 2 of my little "Dobes in Disguise". They are fiercely loyal - often to Mommy - but always to me. And not just mine were this way with me. I was in PetSmart last week and could hear the dulcet tones of Dachshund barking/growling - until they saw me! Hadn't met them before but their Mom laughed because she knew they could sense right away that I was Dachshund approved - something about respect and my tone. All dogs love me, but hound types in particular. When my guys were alive my husband didn't raise his voice to me - they wouldn't bite him, but they would move in front of me just in case, raise their eyebrows and give "the look". Re the bed, he was lucky they let him on it! But it was me they had to press against, even if it was just one toe - to keep track of me. Now my Eskimo is trying to be an Eskie/Wiener - same scenario. My last little guy died a year ago this Sat. - I have my Chianti Riserva ready. He would have turned 8 April 2. But the memories are wonderful.

Lissa
April 13th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Snow Dancer, I am sorry for your loss, all of your dogs sound absolutely wonderful and 100% devoted to you...it is so neat that hounds have a special connection with you....what prompted the change to an American Eskimo dog!?? Memories are greatest treasures, I hope that this Saturday isn't too difficult for you.

SnowDancer
April 13th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Thanks, Lissa. My husband isn't getting any of my Chianti - he thinks I am morbid. Wonder why the dogs have always loved me more! Of the 7 Dachshunds we have had (4 at one time), my 2 very special, very benevolent Alphas - heck, they were "people" - smartest pups vet had ever met - these guys had the worst cases of Dachshund disc disease ever seen by the Guelph neurologists. They operated because both dogs had very strong wills to live - they weren't leaving me. Too many Dachshunds are being bred from parents who themselves have suffered the disease. There are no guarantees in life, but there are ways to help reduce the risk. Frankly, I would stop breeding them. In Germany they are trying things - shorter back etc. If I had run the risk - although I couldn't deal again with the pain and suffering on their part and mine - a new dog would not have been a replacement for these 2 - I am very fortunate to have found a second soul mate after my first one died. There had better be a Rainbow Bridge. I might have looked at Beagles again, although in the past 20 years I have not seen nearly as many as when we had ours, had our Neurologist not mentioned that he himself had been sleeping on a mattress on the floor, with all furniture turned upside down, to prevent his dogs from injuring their newly operated on backs - I thought they were Dachshunds - they were Beagles. That ended that. That left a Bassett and as nice as they are, severe arthritis in the back and I couldn't pick up a Bassett and run. My husband had wanted a Samoyed back in 1976 - I correctly picked the Beagle - at the pound. Last type of dog I thought I would be getting is a white fluffer. But have one I do - and fortunately VERY good natured - not all Eskies are. They are subject to dysplasia and PRA - but all dogs seem to be subject to dysplasia. All I wanted was a dog who had a fair shake at life - not go in knowing that at any moment a disc might start pressing on puppy's spine - and it happens very fast. Not used to that fluffy white hair on the pillow though. He won't go on the bed if my husband is home - but is a real snugglebunny with me. I should have named him Earnest - he wants to please so much - but has such strong teeth. So I approach every Dachshund I see - and have yet to be rebuffed, much to Mommy's surprise - and delight.

nymph
April 13th, 2005, 01:44 PM
When he first came to our home at 6 weeks, he cried and cried non-stop, even though his crate is right beside our bed. We tried everything from hot water bottle, to ticking clock, to my dirty cloths to you name it! Nothing worked. Finally we figured that he WAS too young to be separated from his own pact. So so put him in a small laundry basket with my dirty cloths and some paper right beside my side of the bed, and every time he whined, I'd give him my hand and arm without getting up. He'd also make some noise when he's about to pee, so I'd take him out immediately.That worked great!

When he was about 10 weeks old, we moved him to the real crate, again, right by our bed, and he's loving it ever since, no problem at all.

Eleni
April 13th, 2005, 03:45 PM
how clever is that!

great idea nymph

Eleni

ksjduffle
April 14th, 2005, 02:25 PM
We have tried keeping him next to the bed and our clothes all the things mentioned but to no avail. I think tonight I am going to just put up the baby gates and keep him in the kitchen thats where his favorite bed is and see if we just cant leave him out in the kitchen all night and see what happens Thanks

SnowDancer
April 14th, 2005, 07:02 PM
I am anxiously awaiting the results of this test - but you have to allow for a night for the shock factor. My money is on Luke! In your favour is his youth though. Give it a few months.

dogmelissa
April 14th, 2005, 11:26 PM
If you're worried about him messing in the house at night, maybe try litter training? I'm just starting this with my yr-old abused dog, and so far no luck (it's our first day!), but it has the promise of not having to wake up in the middle of the night or go out in the snow & rain & hot & wind & dirt of the seasons. He will still go for walks and he does seem to prefer outside to the box right now (he's not house-trained though so this is hit & miss), but I have faith that he will get it, and then I won't have to wake up at 3:00 to let him out for a pee.

That being said, I have no advice re; kennel. My dog is kept in a crate next to my bed at night (as I said, he's not house-trained). He whines and cries and kicks up a HUGE fuss when he goes in there, but he has started to respond to "go to bed" which I repeat for at least 10 minutes every night. Sometimes I have to smack the kennel (big noise, no hurt) to get him to stop whining so I can tell him to go to bed. And in the 2 months that we've been doing this, we've cut down from over 3 hours of whining to a little less than 5 minutes. I expect that in another couple of months, this will also disappear. I have patience and faith... and have found that although I don't operate well on the amount of sleep I've been getting, there are times when I can sneak in some extra hours--like Saturday mornings when I can put him out for a pee and then I tie him to the kennel--he can get into bed with me (which he loves) but he can't get into too much trouble. And he usually can go at least 3 hours without having to pee again, so I usually get 3 hours extra sleep to make up for the 1 I lost during the week. :) It's been working for us.

I personally don't like the idea of putting the dog in a seperate room, because that is just going to make him more anxious and could possibly lead to destructiveness or worse, develop into separation anxiety. Maybe if his kennel isn't too big, try putting it on a chair or stool next to you-the laundry basket idea sounds great as long as he can't climb out of it.
I've also had the recommendation that I sleep with a teddy bear (apparently for small dogs the bigger the better) and then after about a week, give it to the dog when he can't be with me (at night, when I'm at work, whatever). This apparently can satisfy some of his "cuddle" needs as it smells like you and is nice and soft (like you in some places I'm sure). You might also want to try recording yourself on a tape saying soothing things (or just making soothing noises) and playing that for the dog at night or whenever you're away. Or if you have the technology, put it on a CD and put the CD on repeat!

Good luck and sounds like you got a good doggie there, one who is very bonded to you already. I'm sure most of this is a puppy thing that he will grow out of.
Melissa