Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What's your favorite KONG stuffing recipe?

nymph
April 12th, 2005, 01:05 PM
and stuffing instructions? Is frozen kong messy?

Eleni
April 12th, 2005, 01:13 PM
i just mix a bit of his normal food in with about 2 tbsp of peanutbutter and shove it in the center of it, he loves it.

no idea whats in a frozen kong however.

Eleni

nymph
April 12th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Thanks elani. Some recipes require freezing the kong, for example, if you put yogurt in the kong, you'd probably need to freeze it first.

Writing4Fun
April 12th, 2005, 01:21 PM
I smoosh peanut butter into the bottom hole and around the inside edges of the Kong, drop in a handful of treats (usually diced up hot dog) or kibble, top it off with more peanut butter and throw the whole thing in the freezer overnight. Let me tell you, if we leave Phoebe in her crate without a Kongsicle, she barks and cries when we leave. Put her in there with a Kongsicle, though, and she barely notices that we've left! :p Oh, and there isn't really any mess when we get home - Phoebe's a pretty neat eater. :)

nymph
April 12th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Ah, music to my ears. Thanks for sharing!

Writing4Fun
April 12th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Thanks elani. Some recipes require freezing the kong, for example, if you put yogurt in the kong, you'd probably need to freeze it first.
Ummm...yeah. I thought of freezing yogurt in a Kong. And then someone reminded me that the yogurt will eventually thaw. Now that would be quite the mess, I'm sure! :eek: I think you can freeze pretty much anything you put in there, the freezing just makes it last longer (and feels great for a teething puppy, too).

Dog Dancer
April 12th, 2005, 02:50 PM
I used to stuff my dogs Kong with her dog food (some canned and some dry) due to her allergies. Then I would freeze it and give her the kongsicle when we left - she loved them. I did notice though that sometimes there would be a bit of a soggy mess on her blanket from when it was defrosting. That was okay so long as she kept it on the blanket, not so great if she took it onto the carpet to work on. I used to use peanut butter and chopped up roll over treats.

mandiez
April 13th, 2005, 07:59 AM
OOOh Kong's...My best friend in the entire world, LOL!!!!

I usually do peanut butter as well in the kong, cheese whiz is good too. However, i don't "fill" it up. That's not what they are intended for. if you are using cheese whiz or peanut butter put a decent size layer all around the inside of it.

I've never tried them frozen, but i'll give that a go. I have a teething puppy right now.

At the pet stores u can also purchase Kong treats to put in them. They are made to specifically fit them. I have the liver ones, or u can get PB...my pup goes absolutely crazy for them.

Mandi

Gripenfelter
April 13th, 2005, 03:41 PM
I put broken dog biscuits with peanut butter and carrots inside. Its a large kong ball. :D

SnowDancer
April 13th, 2005, 04:27 PM
A nice Empty Kong for the "smooth operator". He gets more than enough treats and Eskies can get fat.