Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Neuter tomorrow..and a dew claw question

Heinz57
April 12th, 2005, 11:47 AM
So, Einstein is just turning 6 months, 57 lbs all shots UTD and it's neuter time. :eek:
I won't be going to Canyon Meadows, it pays to check around for prices. I thought I had..most clinics were $250 and up, not including pre blood work, I.V. fluids extra. I was getting 30% off through their rescue discount so it was $160 for neuter, $80 for fluids, $75 for blood test, $75 A FOOT for dew claws (his rear dew claws REALLY hang and dangle). When he had his shots, the vet mentioned having them done while he was under anyhow. Tricia, the wonderful vet who did Grizzy's surgery, couldn't offer a discount but did a great check up on him thought removing his rear dew claws was a good idea to prevent future ripping or tearing.
So ok, I book him at Canyon Meadows, even though I live in Castleridge, get on the phone with Falconridge Animal Hospital. Turns out it's $160 without the "discount", $40 for fluids, $45 for blood tests, and $45 for BOTH rear dew claws, unless they have bone in, then $65. Should I have them removed? I think he has great potential to injure them in the future, but how much harder will it be on him on top of the neuter? I know I must be rambling, I'm worried and nervous for him. When I called I said I was calling to find out how much to have my son neutered...she just roared with laughter! :D Well, he IS my baby :p It's awful to be so stressed! Thanks in advance for any help with dew claws and heck just for reading my nervous rambling... :love:

mesaana
April 12th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Ok, breathe! ;) Get the dew claws done. It's not a big deal, especially if they're just hanging. And much better than having to put him under because he injured himself. I know you're worried and it's normal: the surgical/anesthetic risk is very low, but there's no such thing as zero risk. You are doing everything right for him (getting the blood tests, etc).
*hug*

And let us know how it went :)

Lyne

BMDLuver
April 12th, 2005, 12:22 PM
You sound like me everytime a dog goes under. It's ok to worry to death. Lots of us do. You are doing all the right things as Mesaana said. Breathe, relax and give him some extra special hugs in the morning. If the dew claws are dangling then yes, removal is important. :grouphug:

glasslass
April 12th, 2005, 03:34 PM
There's no need to apologize for just being a good mommy!

Prin
April 12th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Get them done. We had Boo's done and I regretted it at first but then in the snow he ripped the stitch out-- imagine if that had been a big floppy toe? So I'm not so regretful anymore.

His were $40 with a bone in them. Just keep in mind that the incision whould be one or two cm long. Very tiny. Some at our park were over an inch and a half. It takes longer to heal when the cut is longer and I consider it a bit of proof of how good or not good a vet is...

Heinz57
April 12th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Thank you mesaana! That's what I was forgetting..to BREATHE! Ok, so I kept busy, played Halo2 with the boys, pokemon stadium with Jess :rolleyes: ..

gave Einstein tons of extra cuddles ALL day long, he must wonder why he keeps being told how totally awesome he is just for laying at my feet :p . I'm so glad he can be done right around the corner instead of the other end of the city. It'd be such a long drive in rush hour traffic on his way there and back. Will get the dew claws done for sure, just wondered how much more discomfort he would be in. Poor lil guy, he's happy as a clam, has no clue, but I know how much better off he'll be for being neutered. Thanks for the dew claw info Prin, and for the support glasslass and BMD!! I'll be sure to post how he is when it's all over. Thankfully I can't chew off the acrylic nails LOL!

lucyvanpelt
April 12th, 2005, 10:36 PM
heinz57, what a coincidence...on monday we had our little duffy neutered and he had one dew claw removed. he's recovering so well you'd never guess he'd been thru surgery. the only thing we have to watch out for is him chewing the bandage around his foot.
we had to get the claw removed as it had been nipped by the groomer and we'd like to avoid having that happen again. the vet said it was easiest and cheapest to do it while he was under already. there is a chance it could have been torn out during play. don't stress! you'll soon find out it's no big deal.

Prin
April 12th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Why only one?

Karin
April 13th, 2005, 05:05 AM
I have never seen a vet give iv fluids with a neuter/dewclaw removel. Why would he need fluids?

happycats
April 13th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Heinz57, just thinking about you and Einstein.
I hope everything goes good with his surgery today :)
Hope to hear from you soon. :grouphug:

Heinz57
April 13th, 2005, 12:27 PM
They told me it ( I.V. fluids) helps keep his blood pressure up and much easier to administer emergency meds if needed rather than an intra-muscular shot which would take longer to reach his blood stream. All of the vets I asked recommened the fluids for overall ease on him during and after surgery.

I'm glad Duffy is doing so well lucyvanpelt, I'm sure Einstein will too,,,he's under right now and I'M A WRECK waiting for the phone to ring :eek:

Thanks happycats! Gawd I'm sooo nervous right now!! I forgot to take his stuffed Rottie toy for him, I'm such a poop head! :mad: I love that little guy sooo much :love: , the kids were not too bad this morning, just worried a little. I'm going to go run the vacuum AGAIN (phone is attached to my hip)!

lucyvanpelt
April 14th, 2005, 05:31 PM
prin,
for some reason he only had one. like a human having an extra toe i suppose.