Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How can we....

chico2
April 12th, 2005, 10:15 AM
How can we get the Animal-Cruelty laws changed to get people stiffer penalties,when in this province a mother gets 3yrs jail(free in 1 yr) for neglectfully killing her 2 yr old daughter.She went salsa dancing and stayed over night with a man,while her baby-daughter died of dehydration in her crib in a +30C room.
What is it with neglectful mothers and lenient penalties,it's not the first time,are babies worth less than adults?
Sorry,but it really gets to me...I don't understand :mad:

goldenblaze
April 12th, 2005, 11:03 AM
I saw that on the news aswell, how sad for the father. I agree she should of had a life time in jail to remember what she did. :(

lezzpezz
April 12th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Yes... a jail cell kept at 30C+ with no water and no food and no clean clothing or bedding. I can't help but picture that poor wee infant crying until it had no more tears or voice left.....makes me want to scream and it is the most despicable act I can think of. It really makes me sick. :sick:

glasslass
April 12th, 2005, 01:30 PM
It's not just the laws that need to be changed. When kids are brought up without learning any accountability or responsibility, this is exactly how they turn out.

Eleni
April 12th, 2005, 01:30 PM
breaks my heart, especially when I look at my 2 year old, I could never let him be in that horrible a situation

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/Denise_rector_bouchard/issac.jpg

heres my 2 year old, how a mother can look herself in the mirror after doing something so horrible is jsut unbeleiveable.

may the child find peace wherever she may be
Eleni

CyberKitten
April 12th, 2005, 01:39 PM
I see this situation more than I care to admit when I cover the ER. I even see it in children with cancer!! I always report the parents - and they threaten me or complainand worse - and I have testified in a few cases. You should see the cases where the parents use their sick children in custody disputes. Sometimes I think we need certification for parenthood but at the risk of sounding really gross - it's like backyard breeding, how do you police it? Prevent it? You cannot deny reporoductive rights to women - even those who themsevles wil labuse their children or make horrible choices in boyfriends who husbands.

I once had a tiny patient - 4 months old - whose parents were middle class professionals and seemed like the perfect caring family until dianostic tests revealed the baby had a sexually transmitted illness in addition to cancer! In that case, mom had a bfriend but they tried to first question the diagnosis and then blame the babysitter.

I could go on. I hate reading this stuff here - I see enough of it at work, sighhhhhhhh!!!

But you are right Chico! Sweden I think has the toughest laws in the world - spanking is outlawed (as it should be - it can bring on shaken baby syndrome among other probs). My mom - who was a teacher and school principal and later District official (in the area of spec needs children) often disparages about her Florida neighbourhood which she sees as anti child - no playground (seniors do not like to pay for those things and in that County, many things need a referendum to be completed) - and her older neighbours complain about kids. But alas, it is not just Florida communities with a majority of seniors. Here in the west we sit back as millions of children in Africa and in Indonesia where I was recently are now dying of AIDs and have NO access to the medications that would let them live!

Anyway - I better get back to work and save the ones I can!

chico2
April 12th, 2005, 03:46 PM
What really befuddles me,is the judge saying"She will be no danger to society"well,she might as well have stuck a knife in this little girls heart...she might be no danger to society,but she certainly was a danger to this baby-girl.
It just makes me so very angry,in the judges eyes,this babys suffering was worth nothing :mad: The mother should be in jail for at least 10yrs!!!
This happened last year too,then it was a little boy,who died of starvation and the coldhearted mother walked free :sad: All I can say is...poor,poor little innocent babies :sad:
CK,I am sure you see the worst of the worst,but also the best of the best :love: