Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Just an idea!

Princesss04
April 12th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Hey all I was thinking what do u all think about doing something like seceret sisters (friends) on here, we would have someones name and things about them like pets and hobbies, etc. And than every once in a while we could send a card or a gift or something. Just thought this would be fun. There are alot of us on here that are close anyway just thought it would be neat. Not everyone would have to do it just those that want to. We would give our info to a mod or someone and they would give it to that person so that we are not posting for all to see, just thought we could send a gift encouragement or something for our fur babies. What do u all think? Maybe on Birthdays or anny and stuff, not all the time just every once on a while. We could switch every so often (set a time limit) and than we can try it again if we want. :D

Eleni
April 12th, 2005, 10:51 AM
sounds great to me!

Eleni

Bearsmom
April 12th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Sounds like a good idea, however, if I can barely remember my OWN birthday, I hope the person I get is pretty forgiving!

Eleni
April 12th, 2005, 11:14 AM
thats funny, last year i never got a call from my twin brother on our birthday, I wondered if he was upset at me or something

when i phoned him he realised it was our birthday he had completly forgotten.

your comment reminded me of that

Eleni

Princesss04
April 12th, 2005, 12:22 PM
I think it would be alot of fun. Help me PM people and have them read it and see what they think and than we can talk to mods. :D

Eleni
April 12th, 2005, 12:34 PM
id love to help, but cant do much till this evening, i have a teething baby in my lap making typing interesting....*wipes drool off the keyboard*

Eleni

Princesss04
April 12th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Eleni, I hope your baby is feeling better soon. I know teething babies are no fun! :D

glasslass
April 12th, 2005, 01:13 PM
I no longer exchange birthday gifts with my friends. Hate that having to buy something appropriate for a certain date and fear of hurt feelings if I forget. What I do with my close friends is give "no-occasion gifts". We don't exchange for birthdays or Christmas, but whenever we see something we know that person will go nuts over, we buy it and surprise them with it. I suppose I could save the item to give on a birthday or special occasion, but I can't wait to give it to them. So much more fun getting something totally unexpected too. Sure takes the pressure off.

Cactus Flower
April 12th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Princess, you are beyond sweet :queen: .

Princesss04
April 12th, 2005, 02:07 PM
So glass and CF are you guys in? If we do this it could be an anytime gift or card or Email! Just something for us all to get to know each other better. I m,ean we are already like a big family. :D

Trinitie
April 12th, 2005, 02:35 PM
As always, the people here show me how caring and loving people can REALLY be. Princesss, you are truly an :angel:

Princesss04
April 12th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Trinitie what do u think about the idea? :D I mean u mods will have to be the ones to approve it. Just wondering your input :D

Trinitie
April 12th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Well, speaking for ME:

I think it's a super idea, but there are so many things that can go right (or wrong) with an idea like this. I think if people are inclined to join such a "sister's" group, there should be some rules in place. Such as: what happens if a user no longer feels as if the "group" is being nice.

Gotta run to a conference call. I'll edit this later on.

glasslass
April 12th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Sure! I'm in!

Princesss04
April 12th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Good glass I was hoping u would do it! I think u would be fun! ]

Trinitie I knew there would need to be some rules but just thought of it and thought we could get together and work out some of the stuff. I was on one on another board. Not anymore but I know how they worked it. :D

Trinitie
April 12th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Oh man, that conference call was brutal! Talk about BORING. :rolleyes:

That sounds good then Princesss. If you've done this sort of thing before, and can iron out some details, then I'll be more than happy to personally store some personal info for folks here. I, myself, will not be joining the happy little circle, but I'll be glad to offer some assistance!

Princesss04
April 12th, 2005, 04:09 PM
I know what you mean some confernece calls are awful. If we see we have more people interested I will PM you and we can go from there. Are you sure you do not want to be a part of it some one would love to have you as their secret sister or brother. :D

CyberKitten
April 12th, 2005, 04:20 PM
I am with Princess on this. I prefer to surprise my friends and family with gifts. My family is not all that sentimental and I have a difficult time recalling birthdays et al. I try to find neat things for my friends especially if I am travelling to some different location and my friends do likewise (a friend recently gave me a mousepad of Guernicia as a gift and I LOVED it! It was one of the most thoughtful things I can imagine! It doesn't take much to excite me maybe, lol).

But I actually find it stressful in my already too busy life to add something else again. I did get involved in an online Christmas exchange idea one year - on a medical research Board I am on - and it was a disaster. I went all out and created Maritime music, foods (inc lobster from here), other gifts from this region and the person who selected me turned out to be nasty. So it soured me on those kind of things. I continue to send gifts to the people who have been kind to me and have made some great friends on that Board - some I knew before anyway mind you. I think it is in the giving and so I tend to do just that. (I do like to surprise people I've met on my Physicians without Borders travels with items they desperately need - and by getting others in my own local area involved, it educates them - whether they are medical professionals or not - to the dire problems faced in those areas).

jackieb
April 12th, 2005, 04:27 PM
i like the idea of cards i wouldnt have the finances for gifts i have 3 small children and not alot of spare cash!

happycats
April 12th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Hey princess, I think it's a good idea. why don't you post a poll for this?

Princesss04
April 12th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Jackieb that is all it would have to be even a Email all I am thinking is for some encouragement, we would set a limit to gift amounts. But I think a card here in there a letter, email, picture anything would make some ones day. We would love to have you a as a part of this. :D

Princesss04
April 12th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Cyber Kitten are you sure you do not want to give it a try once more? If we do this we would love to have you join us. :D

Shamrock
April 12th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Aww,what a sweet idea, Princess! :angel:
I think this could provide a lot of fun for a group!
Maybe a poll as HappyCats suggested would be a good way to find out how many are interested?

CyberKitten
April 12th, 2005, 04:37 PM
I'll think about it. :) It will depend on where I am at Xmas. I am sometimes in a farflung corner of the globe, as you know, lol But I always love an excuse to share the unique Maritime delicacies and traditions with the world!

Princesss04
April 12th, 2005, 04:39 PM
It will not let me add one how do I add a poll. I have done it before I am so blonde today! LOL :D

Trinitie
April 12th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Allow me to create a new poll for this.

Luvmypit
April 12th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Im in! As per my conversation with princess I think its a great idea.

Trinitie
April 12th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Poll created.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=13993

Princesss04
April 12th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Thanks Trinitie you are wonderful! :D

JDG
April 12th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Sounds fun. I'm new around here, but I'd like to participate.

I like the idea of virtual cards, and posted cards, emails and little notes - I don't think it would take any extra time that we all don't already spend 'trolling' over the boards here on pets.ca ;) ;) ;) ;)

I do think if this comes to light - we should impose a money limit. That way people don't feel overly obligated to spend tons. . .

Perhaps this secret 'sisters' could actually be 'secret pets' - that way people who are still concerned about anoymnimity would be able to still keep their names private. . . and we all enjoy buying animal toys etc - right?

:queen: :queen: :crazy: :crazy:

Joey

Cactus Flower
April 12th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Great idea about the poll, will head there after this reply. Hopefully Trinitie will have posted more details for people like me.

Again, I think this is very sweet of you. Maybe I don't understand it correctly, as I've never been a member of any other board. But it doesn't seem too different from just pm-ing and emailing someone you feel a kinship with that you meet here. I have met someone here and then taken it to email, then the phone, and we've sent packages to one another. How is your idea different? Please fill me in, I'm truly curious, not criticizing.

My only concern would be that people outside of the "sisterhood" would feel more isolated. There have already been derogatory remarks about folks teaming up against others, forming coalitions, etc.

Prin
April 12th, 2005, 06:47 PM
I don't know about the sending gifts.. I'm still on a student's salary (ie no money) and I wouldn't want anyone to be disappointed....

Princesss04
April 12th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Prin you would never have to send a gift. You could do a card, letter, picture, Email anything. Bake cookies, what ever you wanted to do. Noone would ever have to send a gift, just the encouragement is nice. I know we have alot of people that are going through things that could use a friend. And if we did do a gift we would set a limit (cheap one) but that would be up to the person. :D

Goldenmom
April 13th, 2005, 09:51 AM
I would love to do this. Something different and fun!

Thanks for the idea.

This would not have to be expensive to anyone. Even a picture of your beloved pet in a card etc. would be great.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

Princesss04
April 13th, 2005, 10:27 AM
That is right this would not have to be expensive. When I did this before people loved getting pictures with a thinking of you card! :D