Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The devil you know and the devil you dont!!!

Britishvixen21
April 12th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Here is the story so far with introducing the cats, Im having a really hard time here so please dont post what a horrible cat mother I am and how I couldnt have followed the steps. I did and I only want construcitve replies please. Im likely to cry if anyone is mean!!!

We did everything we were supposed to and it seemed to be going well the hissing at the door had stopped and Yesterday we felt ready for a meet. It was going good they were staring eachother down, and then Cali who was on the bathroom sink suddenly jumped down and that was it, Mya went after her and they went at it. HB threw a blanket over Mya as Cali had cowered under the couch, Mya broke free and went at it with HB biting into one of the veins in his hand and biting deep cuts into his thumb and wrist.

IT was like a scene from the Amytiville Horror house Blood everywhere, he still managed to get Mya back into the bathroom and shut the door with blood pouring everywhere. Cali had just ran under the bed and refused to come out.
We finally got order restored and HB got patched up. We got Cali back into the bathroom where she had been with her food and litter.

So yesterday we thought we would try again, we did the whole steps again and let them meet and Mya just went ballistic again. Cali is not the problem she is very docile and isn't bothered one bit by Mya, Its Just Mya goes psycho at the very thought of her being around. They went at it again We separated them and I called the vet for some advice as at this point both cats were pretty stressed. Vet suggested that I take Mya into one room and pay her lots of attention and then open the door to were Cali was and let her roam. This seemed to work until Mya caught site of her. They hissed for a while and they went about 2 minutes before Cali turned her back and Mya went for her. ( seems shes a dirty fighter!)

Mya has just grown more and more aggressive and I just don't know what to do, she wont leave the bathroom door alone and this is making Cali more and more stressed out. Last night I had to have Mya crated just to give Cali some peace and quiet. However I know have both of them being very aggressive towards me because they are stressed. And after what happened to HB im very frightened of them both. Cali because she is an unknown quantity and Mya because she is so angry. It seems like the moment Cali stepped into the House Mya went back to her old ways and all the training we did was for nothing.

Around 4am this morning Cali was crying to get out, she must be very claustrophobic in that room, I had crated Mya and put a blanket over her so she could not see. I let Cali out to wonder around and strectch her legs. She went straight up to Myas crate as if to aggravate her. She then went into the kitchen and jumped onto the sink. Now Mya is not allowed on the counter or sink and I was gently asking her to step down. I went to pet her and she lashed out and scratched me. I had to get a blanket and take her back to the bathroom.
I don't know what to do, Cali is such a wonderful cat and I wish that Mya would allow her some room to move but Mya is not giving an inch. Im very frustrated we did everything we were supposed to and followed those instructions to the tee! I don't want to keep Cali in the bathroom forever its not very nice for her and you can tell that shes getting stressed from it. But as soon as I switch them Mya wails up a storm and the neighbours are complaining and Mya is getting more and more angry at being put out!!! I don't know what to do, and I spent from 4am this morning to 7.30 when I leave for work Crying. Im sleep deprived im frightened in my own home and I have two cats who just will not get along. And im worried for both of them. But Mya is being a b**** from hell and I don't know what to do with her? If you have any suggestions please let me know?

Eleni
April 12th, 2005, 10:35 AM
I hate to say it but it seems to me that you may not be able to keep those 2 pets together with any sort of harmony.

if it were me, I would seriously think about what I would do in the scenario if they never did get along again.

if my cats were behaving this way with one another, id be thinking about the logistics of rehoming one of them in a place where it would be happiest, so that they are separate and no longer able to fight with one another.

that kind of chaos is no way to live for anyone involved including you.

however I may not be aware of other ways to help teh cats live together peacefully, so take my comments with a grain of salt

Eleni

happycats
April 12th, 2005, 10:36 AM
This is a very very difficult situation !! I don't envy you!
I know many on this board may not agree with this, but, here goes..... :(

When I was younger, my dad brought home this cat (Cher) her owner passed away and no one else would take her. At the time we had this huge aggressive cat named Mighty, who was very aggressive, would attack our dog, and us, if we even looked at him the wrong way :eek: .
My Dad said the only way Cher and Mighty were ever going to get along, was to just let them go (Cher was in a carrier for a day so Mighty could get used to her). I know it souds cruel but my dad said they needed to work it out between them, and our interference would only make it worse.
So there was alot of fur flying, and screaming!!! It took awhile but they had to establish who was top cat, and Mighty made sure Cher knew it was him.
and no was ever injured anything :)

They never truly loved each other but learned to co-existr, and every once in a while, when he felt the need Mighty would attack Cher. :sad:

So my advise, let them work it out, don't interfere.

Britishvixen21
April 12th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Thank you Eleni, it may be something to think about. When I spoke to the vet she said that there are three outcomes
(a) they will become best friends
(b) they will tolerate eachother
(c) they will hate eachothers guts and never get along.

But really because we live in an apartment we are cut down to two options really, I mean how can you tolerate eachother in a small apartment???

Im so frustrated because they are both beatiful cats and Cali so wonderful everything anyone could ever want in a cat! and Mya well she has her quirks but we have grown to love her!

amber416
April 12th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Oh, i just went through exactly what you are going through except i had three new cats and my Tinkerbell, like Mya, was not having any of it at first. First I would not put Mya in a seperate room at all or in a crate or anything like that. I understand what you're saying about the new cat getting stressed but i know with Tink, she was extremely jealous and trying to alleviate stress for the foster cats had to become my last priority or they would have never been okay together. In fact, I gave Tink lots of extra attention, one on one play time, excetera, and even when the fosters were being given free roam of the house all the time, i still put them back in their room at night for a little while to give Tink her house back for awhile. I agree with Happycats in that they do need to work it out for themselves. When Mya was chasing Cali was there any actual physical contact made (biting, scratching) or just hissing and swatting? Try not to use the blanket unless you absolutely have to. I know I felt bad watching Tink kind of bully these new cats around a lot at first. There were vey few places in the house they were allowed to be as far as she was concerned and if they stepped out of line she let them know it. But it has been almost a month now that I've had the fosters and they are pretty much coexisting peacefully. They certainly don't like eachother but they do play with one another sometimes-- the chasing has become mutual, the hissing is gone, and Tink cries at their door if i put the fosters in the other room now for whatever reason. If i were you, I would try letting Cali out and letting Mya do what she needs to do to assert herself. I mean, I wouldn't let her actually really hurt Cali as I think Cali needs to feel safe in her new home, but let Mya show her who's boss and don't scold Mya for it either.

Don't beat yourself up about any of this, you seem to be doing everything right, nobody is going to call you a bad mom!! :) A couple of weeks ago I, too, was crying and practically tearing out my hair with frusteration so I know how you feel. I really think you can do this though and I certainly don't think you need to think about rehoming anyone yet. It definitely is going to take time, maybe a lot of time, and they may never really like eachother but stick with it and you can enjoy both of your babies and a peaceful home again, i'm sure. Good luck and let us know how things are going!!!

amber416
April 12th, 2005, 10:58 AM
But really because we live in an apartment we are cut down to two options really, I mean how can you tolerate eachother in a small apartment???

You'd be suprised, i know i was. We are in a two bedroom apartment with four cats and they all tolerate one another, only two of them really like eachother. They will likely figure it out for themselves. :)

Britishvixen21
April 12th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Yes there was definate scratching, and contact. although there has been no injuries to date.(except HB who has been off work for two days and may have nerve damage) Mya is very jealous and I know that I should not be crating her, but we had to give Cali a break for a minute at least. But I do agree that it is probably making the situation worse. I will try what your saying tonight and see how it goes.

Lucky Rescue
April 12th, 2005, 11:13 AM
How long have you had Cali? I really think it was too soon for a face-to-face intro.

When Mya "went after" Cali, what exactly did she do? A major fight - clawing and biting hard - or just a tussle? Was either cat injured or bleeding?

Since cats cannot fight 24 hours a day, they will usually learn to tolerate each other for their own preservation.

I had a cat who despised one of my other cats. She hated him for her whole 17 years, but only 3 times did she attack him in a major way.

If the two cats are just in a little wrestling match, and you interefere each time, then you have to start all over again the next time.

Do NOT try and grab Mya - you could be seriously injured. Use a water spritzer instead. Do not scream, run or yell.

I suggest you start rotating them, perhaps in your bedroom. One can stay there during the day, the other in the evening. This will give Cali some time out of the bathroom, and will spread Cali's scent all over the house and help Mya get used to her. Mya was raised with no other cats around, so is not accepting of them on her territory.

Rub both of them with the same towel too.

Females are often way more territorial than males, although their territory is smaller.

You need to calm down and slow down.

Britishvixen21
April 12th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Ok we dont have a bedroom we have a bachelor! and in the article that you gave me it said that if they started seriously fighting then to have a blanket ready and interfere. We do have a water spritzer now.
The fights seem pretty bad to me there has been no injuries of either that I can see.
As for it being too soon I cant leave CAli in the bathroom forever, and I did ask the vet first and she seemed to think it was ok.
And Mya grew up with another cat in her old home.
Im trying to stay calm but its very hard, ive got two cats trying to attack me everytime I go near them if ones not crying the other one is, ive had no sleep for 3 days and im growing weary of it!!! As for slowing down I woul like to see some improvement at least but it only seems to be getting worse.
I need a time out from them!!!

Lucky Rescue
April 12th, 2005, 11:28 AM
No bedroom..oh..

I am understanding you have only had Cali since this past Saturday, the 11th?

If so, this is way waaaay too soon to be introducing them. I would never expect great results after only 3 days no matter how calm the cats were.

This could take a month or more. Right now both of them are very stressed. You have to give this time.

Do you have a big dog crate?

Britishvixen21
April 12th, 2005, 11:54 AM
We dont know, never really had a need for one, and I cant keep Cali in the bathroom for a month surely?

Rita
April 12th, 2005, 12:07 PM
What a very difficult situation for you :sad:
Some cats are left in cages at Humane Society longer than that so it shouldn't be a matter of the bathroom being too small.
Is there a window in the bathroom that Cali can look out? Even if you have to put a shelf or something at the window so that she can see out it might help her boredom. Do you spend some time with her in the bathroom?

Lucky Rescue
April 12th, 2005, 12:11 PM
and I cant keep Cali in the bathroom for a month surely?

What is the other option? You have no doors or rooms you can close off. It's not a great situation but you can make it work. I told you, and I'm sure the article told you - this takes time, especially if the cats aren't kittens or aren't totally laid back which Mya is not.

Look at it this way: Is Cali better off in the bathroom (with times out when you can put Mya in there to absorb her scent) or better off at the SPCA, being stuck in a terrifying cage, then being dragged out and killed by strangers? This is where she was headed.

This is how I look at it when I have terrorize and trap skittish or feral cats, keep them in dog crates, or drag them to adoption events where they are frightened and miserable. A few days, or a month, of unhappiness followed by 10 or 15 years of happiness is not a bad trade.

Go in the bathroom with Cali. Talk to her, stroke her, give her treats, play with her and be calm.

Britishvixen21
April 12th, 2005, 12:16 PM
We do go into the bathroom and spend time with her, she loves to be brushed, unfortunatly there is no window, however she seems to like playing with the toys that came with her, and she takes great glee in climbing on my lap when im going to the toilet!! what is it with cats and that!

I will try what people suggested and see if it gets any better. I dont want to give up Lucky thats why im writing on here for advice and not throwing her back the the OSPCA. I know this takes time but i was hoping for a glimmer of hope at least.

Lucky Rescue
April 12th, 2005, 12:28 PM
I am trying to give you hope.

Don't think I don't understand. I know exactly what you're thinking right now - "What the hell have I done??" I feel this way with each animal I take in. It's a huge adjustment for all concerned. Lots of times I wanted to give up, especially with feral cats (and whole litters of feral kittens!!) who might take a month or MORE just to let me touch them. I have one here who still will rarely let me touch her.

But it works itself out. I have never EVER brought a new cat into my home who couldn't learn to get along with the others - even adult tomcats. They may not be pals or even like each other, but they can peacefully co-exist.

As for Cali in the bathroom - we have a cat looking for a home. She has been in a cage at the vet for two months now. We are sad about that, but that cage is better than being on the street, freezing, starving and dying.

I had to learn not to put time limits on it, and just take each day as it comes. If they don't get along today, maybe next week it will be better.

But by trying to introduce them after 3 days, you have actually made things worse. So just start over fresh from today.

mesaana
April 12th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Can I offer one more suggestion, more for you than the cats? Don't do anything with them tonight. Leave Cali in the bathroom and Mya loose. Then, take your husband and get out of the house. Go to a movie, or dinner or whatever you like to do together. Just forget about the cats for a few hours...

Lyne

happycats
April 12th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Don't think I don't understand. I know exactly what you're thinking right now - "What the hell have I done??"

How true !! hell I even thought that when I brought my son home as a newborn (he cried and cried and cried) and I was fostering 1 dog and 4 cats at the time !!! (I also had 6 cats of my own) :crazy:

Please don't get discouraged, and don't give up, It will all work out OK,
Like Lucky said, they may nver be best friends, but they will learn to co-exist! :D

And Mesaana has a great idea, get away from it all for a while !! It will do you a world of good! ;)

Britishvixen21
April 12th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Yeah I think that, thats the best idea, Actually comming to work today has given me a little clarity. I think we need to show Mya lots and lots of affection as she is obviously very jealous, everytime we call Calis name she growls.
Thanks guys, the advice means a lot :grouphug:

CyberKitten
April 12th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Am I correct in recalling you had behaviour probs with Myra before? Do you give her some Rescue Remesy? Maybe you all need it at this point? :)

Listen to lucky's advice. I have tamed ferals as well and 3 days is NO time at all. You need a good month and now they;ve been szet back so essentially you are starting over. Take a deep breath and give it time. Cats will not mind the lack of space as long as they have love, kindness, food and water! And toys! And attention!

Good luck!

Britishvixen21
April 12th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Golden girl did give me some rescue remedy which did work pretty good. It seems that we just got mya the way we liked her and she liked us and now shes gone all pyscho again and I think she can see that im stressed also. Im going to just start over again and see what happens.
I do appreciate and listen to everyones advise and I find it all very useful and encouraging.

Lucky Rescue
April 12th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Take some of the Rescue Remedy yourself.:p

And do not introduce them again now. Wait a week at least,( I would wait longer) and then just open the door a few inches and see what Mya does when she sees Cali. Speak calmly and soothingly. Cats can definitely pick up on it when you are stressed or anxious.

The absolute worst thing that can happen is that they will never get along and you may have to think about rehoming Cali down the road. But there is lots of time. Be patient, take a deep breath and stop worrying so much.

They won't kill each other, or probably even hurt each other. Cali has been outside a lot and has probably dealt with hostile cats before.

The only cats I've ever seen who can, and do, inflict mortal wounds are two adult intact toms fighting. For *most* of the rest of them, it's more sound than fury.

Britishvixen21
April 12th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the advice, I will do this, I wish we had another room, as we need to use the bathroom and Cali trys to get out!!! But I will perceviere, I didnt give up with Mya and im certainly not giving up now! im going to try all over again with all the steps and see what happens.
I really wish that Cali would give Mya a big slap right across the chops because she doesnt defend herself she just runs. and that gives Mya more of a power trip. I think if Cali just whacked her one right back she might back off a bit. But Cali is so docile and doesnt really care you know, she just want to run and carry on chilling out. She is the sweetest little thing you have ever seen and is soooo adorably cute when she lays on her back, shes one big cuddle monster and I really want nothing more than for her to be cuddled up with us on the couch! I know it will come in time but with the confined space and Mya being a total B**** again its just frustrating, plus I have family comming in on thursday. I think im going to have a heartattack before im 30!! :sick:

PS I am worried about them hurting themselves, but after what happened to HB im scared to even go near them, im scared more for my safety than theres right now

Prin
April 12th, 2005, 06:33 PM
I don't have much to add except that now your hubby knows what it's like working at a vet!! People think their cats are so gentle and they leave and the cat goes insane...

I hope it somehow works out..

Britishvixen21
April 13th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Its funny considering what happened to him, his hand is in pretty bad shape, hes had to take the last two days off work because he cant move it properly, (hes a butcher and needs his hands) Hes not scared at all, me im terrified of them both! shows what a woose I am. There was literally blood everywhere and where he was holding onto Mya so tight it was spraying everywhere. I was a mess crying thinking that he was going to die LOL. (did i mention im a little dramatic too?)
But well see how things go, im a little concerned that its very humid in the bathroom and that Cali might get a cold is that a possibility? weve been having stone cold showers teh last three days so that it doesnt get to hot in there.

chico2
April 14th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Britishvixen,this is the first I read of your troubles and I am sorry it's so difficult.
When I introduced Vinnie to my other cats,I had such a hard time,I cried and was about to give up,but I just could not give sweet Vinnie up to an uncertain future and now I don't regret it for a minute.
One of my cats still does not like him,but he only hisses if Vinnie gets to close.But it was easier for me,I have a house with lots of room..
I word of caution,never ever break up a fight between two cats with your hands,as your hubby now knows.My Rocky bit me and clawed me in a crazy moment and I had a very serious infection in my leg,requiring a month of treatment.
I wish you luck and I hope it works out,more Rescue Remedy is probably a good idea :love:

maddoxies
April 15th, 2005, 09:26 PM
I am still in Toronto and have a large dog crate. What about letting Cali out on the balcony confined in the dog crate? (There is no room in the apt for the crate, especially with guests coming) The note that came with Cali said that she loved to drink her water outside :confused: :confused: I have not needed the big dog crate for Valentin in my hotel room. What do the cat experts think?

If you have not found more Rescue Remedy, I have a full bottle with me.

I will send you a pm with my hotel and office phone numbers. I have to come back for another 3 week stint, so they have given me a voice mail box here in Toronto too. :(

chico2
April 16th, 2005, 09:31 AM
I hate to say this,but I feel for Cali..it is a possibility it will not work out :sad:
I've never had that happen to me,but maybe Mya will not cave in...maybe,just one room is just not big enough.Cali cannot spend her life in a crate...I was kind of worried this might happen,seeing Mya is such a spirited little cat :D
I wish I could take Cali,but my 3 is more than enough...
I might be just full of doom and gloom,maybe by now,hopefully,they've kissed and made up..

aussiemedogs
April 16th, 2005, 10:07 AM
If Cali and Mya are still not getting along I would like her returned to me, I found another person that is willing to take her. But I would like to see it work out with Mya. If not she can come back here and I will rehome her.

maddoxies
April 17th, 2005, 10:09 PM
I am coming back to Montreal next weekend, for one week. Then I am back in Toronto for 3 weeks. So we can give it a bit more time if BV is willing. We still have May 24th as a fallback date to return her to Montreal.

BV does have relatives in from the UK at the moment, so I will give her a call tomorrow (in case she is not online anytime soon) and see where things are at and where we want to go from here.

Britishvixen21
April 19th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Hi guys sorry I havent been on, had family staying from the UK, (as if i didnt have enough stress) Mya is still not comming around, and is being a super cowbag!!! I know you are all going to kick me ass for this, but my freind took mya over the weekend, shes very very good with animals she seems to have a way with them, and she pampered Mya for the weekend so Cali was able to get out of the bathroom and she is an absolute sweetheart, she clambered onto the couch and snuggled right into my arm on her back and ZZzzzzzz that was it for the pair of us for the afternoon! She really is adorable. and my freind has offered to take Mya permanently as her sister is an animal behaviourist and she feels she could do some work with her. I know taking Mya out of the house was a bad idea but we were all so tired and poor cali was climbing the walls. I dont want you all to come down on me for considering getting rid of Mya as im not, but i know that she would have a wonderful life with my friend. However I dont know if Calis former home might want her back, which is also cool with me, I wouldnt want them to regeret giving her away. She doesnt even need the rescue remedy now shes chilled its only when Mya is around and growling at the door. What do you all think I should do??

tenderfoot
April 19th, 2005, 10:52 AM
I have cats that just don't get along, but fortunately they have enough places to maneuver around each other and still have a life.
Personally I think there are some animals who just don't want to be around other animals and it may never change. Some can learn to get along well enough, but some can't.
At this point I think you are trying to think about the cats happiness and there is nothing wrong with that. I would have bigger issues if you were determined to keep forcing the situation despite the cats' ultimate happiness.

Lucky Rescue
April 19th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Here's my opinion for what it's worth.

I dont want you all to come down on me for considering getting rid of Mya as im not, but i know that she would have a wonderful life with my friend. However I dont know if Calis former home might want her back, which is also cool with me, I wouldnt want them to regeret giving her away. She doesnt even need the rescue remedy now shes chilled its only when Mya is around and growling at the door. What do you all think I should do??

I don't think you are the right home for Mya. Your nervousness makes her worse. Please don't take that in a bad way!! Every person is not suitable for every animal and many people cannot deal with "special" animals or ones with behavioral problems..

I think a laid back, easy-going and "easy" cat like Cali is better for you. If you were adopting from us, we would give you a cat like Cali - never one like Mya who needs someone with more experience.

Cali's owner does NOT want her back.

If you are SURE Mya would have a permanent and wonderful home with your friend then I think you should leave her there.

BMDLuver
April 19th, 2005, 03:07 PM
I totally agree with LR. I'll give you an example. We had a pug come into our rescue, cute adorable and busy as the day was long. I jokingly said to my partner that if I had to spend a week with this dog then I'd shoot myself. My nerves were jangling from one night with him. Sometimes the pet you have is not the one you should have and rehoming it so that it and yourself are more comfortable is not a horrible thing.

Britishvixen21
April 19th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Thanks for your opinion it is appreciated and has only fueled what I already thought, my freind is very good with animals cats especially and I think she would be good for Mya.
I also think that we are a bad mix, I am a very nervous and worry wart person by nature and that obviously doesnt help the situation. I have tried with Mya I really have, if you could have seen her before you would be shocked, she has come leaps and bounds but she does need someone very calm like my friend.
Anyways I will let you know how its going. :grouphug:

chico2
April 19th, 2005, 04:30 PM
BV,I agree with everyone,normally I would say"out with the old in with the new"is a bad,cruel thing.
But in this case I think it's for the best,as long as Mya has a forever home and is not"dumped"when or if she gets difficult.
I also believe you have a space-issue,if the cats loved each other it would have been ok,but obviously they did not.
So,good luck with Cali,she sounds like a wonderful cat and I hope"spirited' Mya has a great new home :love:

SnowDancer
April 19th, 2005, 05:30 PM
In this case, I agree with everyone else that Mya should move in with your friend as long at is forever. As Chico said though, I normally would not agree with displacing Mya. One thing to consider, should you get another cat, would Cali accept him/her? If not, then I think you should take this into consideration.

Lucky Rescue
April 19th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Sometimes the pet you have is not the one you should have and rehoming it so that it and yourself are more comfortable is not a horrible thing.

Right! I fostered a Lab, who was a very sweet and good girl, but just not my style.
I couldn't stand that she was a "velcro" dog, wanting to be with me every second, and was THRILLED to have her move on to her new home, where her owners treasure that very quality that drove me insane.:p

Shamrock
April 19th, 2005, 05:50 PM
BV, I also agree this is the best choice under these circumstances for all concerned.
Sometimes it just will not improve, and if you can be sure you have a responsible and permanent home as you did, its best. Mya sounds like she will be fine.
2 years ago, I rescued an adult female cat - had been left behind on someone's move. Was fine with my male and the dog, but the two female cats hated each other - fought, hissed, spit endlessly. They couldnt bear to be in the same room.
I firmly believed that time would correct this and that they would work it out.
I tried to keep them as seperate as I could, to keep the stress level down.
My original female Miranda, a tiny and quiet natured cat, spent her days hiding under beds, peeking around corners, always fearful of being ambushed by the much larger and more agressive girl.
After six months, she began vomiting. I decided that Miranda was a stressed-out and and nervous wreck, and that this was unfair and cruel to her to continue.
I conceded defeat and rehomed the rescue privately.

I recently socialized a male adult into the home- it went beautifully.
So just never can be sure. :)

In your case, I think your Mya and Cali will both benefit from this change of living arrangements.

CyberKitten
April 19th, 2005, 06:08 PM
I too am normally do not concur with the typically cruel "out with the old and in with the new" but this is not the situation here. If your friend can handle Mya and give her a good home, then she should stay there. You really did as much as you could and I would not consider it a failure if I were you. Every cat and every person is unique with different needs and personalities. (Gawd, any gardener will tell you that even some plants do not get along with others, lol)

I wish you well with Cali - she sounds more like your kind of kitty and I hope Mya will find a place for a spirted, lively bossy cat! :)

Lucky Rescue
April 19th, 2005, 06:25 PM
I had one female cat - Sweetpea - and had her from the time she was 6 weeks old until she was 17. All those years, I could have only male cats, since she would go berserk at the sight of a female. She would furiously attack them with no hesitation.

That suited me fine since I preferred male cats, and so did Sweetpea - in fact, the more scarred and battered they were, the more she loved them. (little floozie):p

She is the ONLY cat I've ever had who was so intolerant.

Eleni
April 19th, 2005, 09:42 PM
I cant have male cats around my oldest cat either, she "tolerates" female cats however.

we nicknamed her the Boss for very real reason, shes picky about anything and everything. Definatly not a cat for anyone who doesnt ahve all theirtiem to devote to her majesty.

Luckily she suited my lifestyle perfectly.

it shows how much you care, to admit that she will be happier in a better suited household

Eleni

Britishvixen21
April 20th, 2005, 04:10 PM
****UPDATE*****

Just to give you all an update, Mya is going to stay with my freind in a forever home, and she couldnt have gone to a better place. My friend really missed a vocation as a animal therapist. I was very sad to see her go and cried for ages. However I know that this is the best thing for her and us. (I was close to a coronary) Cali continues to thrive and is a playful little thing and follows me everywhere chatting away to me. she loves to be brushed and if I hold it she literally does it herself. Still a little confused over the food as the food I was given she doesnt want to eat I find that the balls are a little big for her liking so I have changed her to a new formula and she seems to like it.
I would really like to thank everyone for there help and advice, and especially Aussie and Golden without you guys we wouldnt have been blessed with her. Thank you Golden I know you had a real journey down what with your little one figuring out bags and a huge dane trying to order Tim Hortons!!! Thank you once again and the offer I made of any help that you guys need in the Toronto area was genuine and heartfelt. Thank you once again.

:grouphug:

chico2
April 20th, 2005, 04:20 PM
BV,you don't know how happy that makes me,happy for Cali and little feisty Mya and for you.As long as Mya got a good home,everything is great :thumbs up

Britishvixen21
April 20th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Feisty is one way to put it ;) The day before the little **** left she found the cat nip, (god knows where) and ate the whole bag. Boy was she hyper, and relaxed all at the same time!!!

chico2
April 20th, 2005, 04:40 PM
BV,that's funny :D :D Catnip(fresh)does anything but relax my cats,they get high,high and higher :D
How old is Cali,I know she's not a kitten I saw her picture,but cats play even as they age,never too old for the old mouse on a string :crazy:
I would love to see some pics of Cali in her new home and maybe even little Mya..

Britishvixen21
April 20th, 2005, 04:58 PM
I have some beauties of Cali in the sink! and some of Mya just have to load htem up.

chico2
April 20th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Can't wait.....http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/tabbymeow.gif

Lucky Rescue
April 20th, 2005, 08:11 PM
I think Cali is the perfect cat for you, and that Mya needs someone who is both assertive and calm.

I'm not against people rehoming animals to a better home - just against people who dump them for stupid,selfish, ignorant and frivolous reasons.

This seems to be a happy ending for everyone. :)