Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puts the breaks on at the elevator.

Eleni
April 12th, 2005, 09:14 AM
sam is suddenly scared of the elevator.

i go to bring him in and 2 steps away he freezes and i have to pick him up,

no treat in the world will get him to walk onto the elevator.

am I doomed to taking the stairs??

however im jsut hoping this is jsut one of those puppy fears he will get over

Eleni

marko
April 12th, 2005, 09:24 AM
I am not a trainer but here's a thought....

Just in case you haven't tried this....Again...Start with food -

Try bribing him with food (BEFORE the dog has eaten so that he's VERY hungry) to get into the elevator. Use food he LOVES if regular food still doesn't work.

Once he gets in the elevator - give the food and lavish praise on him during the whole ride.

After a few times - remove the food and just give praise.

If there is something he like more than food (toy, chews) try using that as well.

Daizy
April 12th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Does your pup have a doggie friend, who isn't afraid of elevators? I know my poodle pup was afraid but when her littermate came to visit, who wasn't afraid, it got her to go in and now, she's the first one in the door as soon as it opens.

Eleni
April 12th, 2005, 10:58 AM
ive gone the food route and that diddnt work

however the doggy friend I hadnt even thought of.

he does ahve a friend in the building a lil jack russel terrier, he goes over and plays with her quite alot, im going to try and see if he will be coaxed into the elevator if she enjoys it

Eleni

Gripenfelter
April 12th, 2005, 11:24 AM
My dog puked in the elevator. It wasn't pretty. He almost puked on someone's shoe.

Security got pretty pissed at me.

I think I'm just going to avoid elevators as much as possible.

He's a high energy dog anyways, should love the stairs.

nymph
April 12th, 2005, 03:09 PM
This is just a guess: could it be the motion in the elevator that makes sammie afraid? Or is he claustrophobic?

I also think that having sammie watching his doggy friends quietly go into the elevator would help him overcoming this phobia. If that doesn't work, I'd say to consult an animal behaviorist. Sorry, not much of a help.

Eleni
April 12th, 2005, 03:14 PM
well wha I think happened, is the door went to close one day before i had the kids and him completly off the elevator, so i had to hold the door open and its quite tough to hold open, and my daughter was a bit frightened and yelled, so i think that startled sam

however i had hopes that when my daughter went into the elevator he would see all is well considering she was the one who origionally was startled.

im having his pup friend over this evening for a few test runs on the elevator and see how it goes.

he will let me carry him into the elevator, so worst case scenario i can do that, but with 3 kids the dog is the last person i wanna be carrying hehe

Eleni

puppup11
April 12th, 2005, 03:17 PM
He'll probably grow out of it. My dog was afraid of all kinds of things from plastic pools to garbage bags to puddles of water to my husband's guitar. She's outgrown all of her fears and just shows slight caution if she's faced with any of those things now (15 months old). We never forced her to confront any of them, and didn't baby her if she acted scared. We tried food but it didn't work. Forcing her to confront the fear would just make her freak out more so I don't know if bringing him in the elevator would be a good thing. Does he get upset when you carry him in or is it just when he tries to walk in himself? Does he try to get out when you put him down in the elevator? He might just be afraid of the door.

nymph
April 12th, 2005, 04:23 PM
I don't blame sammy for being scared of the elevator, I am too. There were a couple of times that the elevator stopped but the door didn't open and I completely FREAKED OUT. Even today I usually wait for someone to go into the elevator together, and I REFUSE to step into an old, small, dark elevator or the one that you must pull the door to close, errrrrrrr, no way! http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/shudder.gif

Beetlecat
April 12th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Sammy could be going through a fear stage. I think he'll outgrow it once he forgets what scared him the first time. If you can coax him into it, good. If not, don't force the issue. The las thing you want is for him now is to associate the elevator forever with something bad. But again don't baby him and make him think being scared of the elevator is something good either. Go with what feels right :)