Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Claw

Chatito
April 12th, 2005, 12:02 AM
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but...

Hello again!

After much thought, I adopted a cat, a really friendly one, and I hope that sometime in the future I can bring one of my cats from Mexico to Canada. I just got her today, her name is Mya and she is a sweety pie; so cute and huge mittens, something I find so endearing.

One little problem though: she absolutely will not let me touch her paws. The lady at the pet store tried to trim her claws before she gave her to me but she couldn't, she said she was too stressed (both her and Mya, I'm sure ;) ) . Now that I have her at home, she urgently needs the trim because she's getting stuck on the carpet. I suspect then that no one's been able to trim her claws. I've tried waiting until she's asleep but to no avail. Suggestions on how to get her to be okay with this?

Here's a pic of Mya, a.k.a. The Claw. Isn't she cute?

Chatito
April 12th, 2005, 12:14 AM
I just tried sweet talking her. She's purring loudly but then growls, hisses and suddenly growls like a puma. I've never seen a cat so mad. Help.

Shamrock
April 12th, 2005, 12:56 AM
Congratulations on your new kitty - she is very adorable! :) And what a pretty name, Mya.
With her brand new surroundings and people, I'd say this isnt the best time for this - with her resisting as she is.
Vets will do a claw clipping, and only charge a nominal amount of around $10. You are likely going to be taking her for her checkup anyway? ( if she's not already had it, that is)
Either way, a professional would be the best for the nails-sounds like she really is needing this trim. Maybe you could take her in tomorrow for this?

The next time, when she is more settled in, she might be very cooperative.
Waiting until they are already feeling very relaxed, just waking up from a nap as you are doing is the best way. Rescue Remedy helps calm some cats as well.
A good scratching post helps their claws stay more managable too, of course -if they will use it.
Best wishes with your new sweetie! :angel:

Rita
April 12th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Nice kitty :)
One of my Boyz doesn't really like have his claws clipped either. What I've been doing is massaging his paws when it's not claw trimming time ... just so that he can get used to me handling his paws. As you're petting her and you are both relaxed, just slowly make your way down to her paws ... if she hesitates then go back to scratching her ears again, but then slowly make your way down her leg to her paws again. This technique is slowly working with my Boyz, but it does take patience ;)

Chatito
April 12th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Success! Got her during her sleep, took me forever and I had to be very careful. Thx a bunch, guys!