Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do you have Fear of Flying?

Shamrock
April 11th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Its not me, but my husband who has an aversion to plane travel.
Every year at this time, I start thinking of planning our vacation. There is always this big stumbling block. We've flown in the past.. but in recent years. he just doesnt want to - period.
Well, that really limits us for options. :rolleyes:

On one hand, I feel like insisting he learn to deal with this as best he can - for my sake.. and so we may travel to farther destinations.

On the other hand, I wonder if I am being unreasonable in my expectations?
An irrational fear is very powerful, cant just be "willed" away. It may be unfair to insist that its "mind over matter'.

Has anyone here overcome this most common of fears?
And for those of you who havent -can you 'steel yourself" to just do it anyway, or is it just something you must avoid entirely?

We all have certain things that we dread - but we do them just the same.
I personally dont like flying either- am a bonafide white-knuckle traveller. I also loathe the dentist, having a pap smear, and public speaking.
The end justifies the means in certain cases.

Flying for recreational travel CAN be avoided, but the only compromise is to take another form of travel.. and thats what we've been doing.
I feel its a "loss of control" that is behind this aversion.. When we are on various driving trips, its telling that he always prefers to be the one behind the wheel, seems to feel uncomfortable as a passenger.
( even though I'm a better driver :D )

But how many driving trips can you take?
Plus, I dont WANT to spend days getting to a location that we could be at in a matter of hours. ;)

Gazoo
April 11th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Tell him to go to his Dr. and get xanax or another anti anxiety drug.

I have a friend who is afraid to fly and they work wonders.

happycats
April 11th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Shamrock, my hubby will not fly either!!! drives me nuts. He is not afraid of heights, he said he is afraid the plane will crash . He said he is not willing to take the chance of a plane crash.
We have given up trips to Cuba, and Europe, because he refuses to fly !!

We bought a trailer, so we have a summer get away. but we never get out of this country :( (sorry we have been to New York and Buffalo) But I would love to go to a tropical paradise some day.
I would love to put some sleeping pills in his dinner, and sneak him on the plane when he passes out. But I don't think I could make it through customs with an unconscious husband :D

I hate driving, but my hubby promised to take us to Disneyland Florida in a couple of years. (I told him I would give him a 3 day head start, and I would fly and meet him there :D ) I guess I would drive down there, but would insist on doing it in a motorhome instead of a car.

For now I am willing to live with it, but when I retire I may feel diffirent and want to travel to tropical locations, I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it :)

Karin
April 11th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Go to your local General Aviation airport and buy him a gift certificate for an introductory flight lesson. Better yet, schedule the appointment yourself pre-paid.
I grew up in a Pan Am family but did not start to fly myself until 1981. I got my ticket in 1982.
This would be the best 20-30 minutes of his life, from the start to end HE is in control, his first flight lesson.
*Caution*...it is addictive, he may want to continue.
Anyone can learn to fly. He will walk away with a better understanding and a new habit.

Gazoo
April 11th, 2005, 06:07 PM
You guys could always get a boyfriend to travel with and leave hubby at home :p :D

happycats
April 11th, 2005, 06:09 PM
LOL Gazoo :D There's a thought :rolleyes:

Gazoo
April 11th, 2005, 06:09 PM
I would love to put some sleeping pills in his dinner, and sneak him on the plane when he passes out. But I don't think I could make it through customs with an unconscious husband :D

Put him in a shipping box instead?!?!?

Put a fur suit on him and crate him after he passes out?

:thumbs up

happycats
April 11th, 2005, 06:15 PM
LMAO Gazoo, I like that idea even better !!!!! ;)

Rick C
April 11th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Tell him you'll meet him there.

You fly, he drives.

You get a couple of extra days on the beach out of it and he can bring most of the suitcases in the car. :angel: :thumbs up

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

happycats
April 11th, 2005, 06:26 PM
I like that idea to Rick, But I better take my own suitcase, because I don't want to have to wear the same cloths till he gets there :yuck: :eek:

Shamrock
April 11th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Hmm.. well, having just had a few words with "Mr Cranky" :mad: .( not about this).. I LOVE your suggestions Gazoo! :D ! LOL!

Happycats, that is what my husband thinks too..that the plane will crash!
Too many episodes of Disaster Detectives I think :rolleyes:
Your mention about the no clothes to wear reminded me of a slight disaster on our last trip. We were enroute to Jasper ( driving).and on our first stop for the night, I discovered my hubby forgot to load the suitcase that contained all my clothes.
For a ten day trip, I had only what was on on my back - a pair of shorts, tee-shirt and runners. Lovely.
I was not a happy camper - especially when he 'swore" I didnt put it out. But a quick trip to a local small town store bought me the basics.
Returning home, there it was still standing in the hallway. Alll dressed up and nowhere to go. :)

We have also never left North America... and as it stands.. dont see how we will.
Or perhaps how HE will.. :evil:

happycats
April 11th, 2005, 07:10 PM
I discovered my hubby forgot to load the suitcase that contained all my clothes.
:

And I bet it was all your fault, right??? :rolleyes:

CyberKitten
April 11th, 2005, 07:57 PM
I love flying tho the recent security changes (even tho I know they are necessary) make it less enjoyable. I have metal rods in my spine which inevitable set off machines these days. Fun! NOT! As for fear of flying, I have friends who are afraid and they take sedatives before they leave (needless to say, they do not fly alone, lol). I have one friend who is terrified of flying and she just went to New Zealand!

I fear dental work! And I carpool with a dentist - who is fortunately a pediatric dentist so me and the kids see him, lol (He questions whether I rweally have dental phobia since I never fear his work, but hey, he is a drinking buddy and a close friend so it is different!!) And he does not hurt! I make him use all that stuff I insist my young patients get!!

I'd rather fly than drive in a car any day. Flying is still the safest way to go.

And as soon as I typed "Flying is still the safest way to go", I thought uhoh, they may think I meant something else. But if you think about it, it is not a bad way to actually GO either, lol

Eleni
April 11th, 2005, 08:00 PM
im afraid of flying with all my kids, but thats more afraid what it would do to my sanity.

otherwise im fine, i enjoy looking out the windows

Eleni

twinmommy
April 12th, 2005, 12:11 AM
This is probably the strangest reply you will get, but I kind of "grabbed the bull by the horns' with this fear of mine as well. I was young and silly and tired of getting hammered before and/or during flights. :rolleyes:

I tried parachuting. :eek:

Believe it or not...it worked for me. the claustrophobic feeling of "what will I do when this plane crashes..." :p dissipated with the thought that I could just jump out!!

(Logicly it is not so possible, but it worked wonders on the fear of it all.!! :thumbs up )

I know I;m weird, but c'mon THAT's not news!!! lol ;)

happycats
April 12th, 2005, 05:58 AM
That's funny twinmmmy, because my husband said he "might" fly if he had a parachute!! (he thinks the same as you, if the plane crashes, he could jump)
So I got to thinking (I know, thats dangerous) :rolleyes: , if I just got a very large backpack and filled it with material and rope, and strapped it to his back, I may get him on a plane :D :evil:

Shamrock
April 12th, 2005, 06:30 PM
LOL, HappyCats! Worth a try.. :crazy:

TwinMommy - wow parachuting! What a rush that must have been! Well, it solved the "block" for you!
When we were out walking the other day, my sister and I were watching a couple of wind-surfers gliding overhead, it looked like SO much fun.
We were talking about how much risk we would take for a fun activity -which turned out to be not much :(

As for hubby, I think a sedative might help him during air travel, but the trouble is, he doesnt want me to even "book" a flight

There always seems to be the fly in the ointment, doesnt there?? :p
Seperate modes of travel might the only solution to this problem..unless he agrees to try "something".