Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I need some help

Dog Mom
April 11th, 2005, 02:44 PM
As i Said in my title I need help with my dog Gibson, We found him on the side of the road. the Vet thinks he's about 5 or 6 years old, He's a happy go lucky type of dog. Last night I had some friends over and he Decided to mark his territory on someone's leg! what's going on with that? We have a Whopping 5 dogs in total and 3 ferrets in our family. He Has also tried peeing on the other dogs. mainly the 2 puppies is this a dominance issue? Please Help :(

Lissa
April 11th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Unfortunately, I am really not sure what is up with it. I knew a dog who peed on peoples' legs and I have been peed on twice. I believe the dogs are marking and expressing their dominance but I'm really not sure how to stop it. It is their way of letting others know who's in charge and who's territory they are trespassing on. Aside from going through the whole crate training process or attaching him to your side for supervision, I'm really not sure what to suggest. Obviously obedience training will help - do you think he was a stray with no prior training? I have never heard of a dog deliberately trying to pee on other dogs repeatedly. Hopefully, others who have dealt with something similar will be able to offer better advice!

Lucky Rescue
April 11th, 2005, 05:09 PM
This behavior is not all that unusual, although of course you want it to stop ASAP!:p

Is this dog recently neutered? If so, he's probably marking territory.

I suggest getting him a "belly band" which you can get at pet supply stores. That usually does the trick, as dogs intensely dislike urinating on themselves.

tenderfoot
April 11th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Picture him walking around the house thinking "oh, this is mine, and this and ohh and I really like this one..." as he pees on it all.
Re-training is key and neutering is essential.
Thanks so much for taking him in! :thumbs up

Dog Mom
April 12th, 2005, 08:19 AM
When we first found Gibson he was half starved and pretty wild. The day we brought him home, with in 5 min he lifted his leg on the couch and "marked his territory" but we just chaulked it up to having never been inside before. he's been neutered now for 2 yrs, but our husky had 10 puppies on new years eve and he was really weirded out by them, if a puppy would come near him he'd run away "screaming". We ended up keeping 2 of the puppies ( 1male 1female). Gibson has taken to lifting his leg on them when they are asleep. The puppies (Pumpkin& Buster) will be 4 months the end of this month, could that have something to do with his behaviour? Having another male in the house ( the rest are females).

tenderfoot
April 12th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Though having another male in the house can be an issue these pups don't really even smell/act like full blown adults yet. When a new behavior or change in behavior occurs it is very helpful to make of list of the changes in the dogs life that might have precipitated it. I think that the dramatic change of life with the new pups had something to do with revisiting an old behavior. I picture him as a socially impaired guy who gets overwhelmed and does what has worked for him in the past - peeing on things seems to be his first response to lifes changes - own it and then it won't be a problem.
He needs you to retrain the housebreaking and to teach him how to cope with life.
Gibson may not have had much socialization in his previous life and the sight of new puppies wigged him out. As they matured they became unpredictable balls of fur and his parental instincts aren't kicking in.
I would put Gibson on the leash in the house attached to you for the next week or so (as much as you can stand it). Help this poor guy out by helping him make better choices about his behavior. Having him on the leash reminds you to watch him and gives you the opportunity to communicate in the moment he needs it. Correct the bad choices and reward the good ones. I would also teach him "easy" which means use gentle energy - help him to feel comfortable with the pups by teaching him how to be with them, and teaching them to be respectful of him. He doesn't have to like them - but it would be great if he could start to feel more comfortable around them.
Does he play at all? It would be great to take one puppy and see if you could help him play his favorite game with it. When he gets comfortable with that puppy then switch to the other and then have them both play with him.
This is all so new to him and it doesn't come naturally for him - so he needs your hep and understanding.

Dog Mom
April 12th, 2005, 11:28 AM
I think that Socially impared is an understatement for Gibson. the first time we took him to the vet he "screamed" is the only way I can describe the sound that he makes when he is scared. We had a lot of trust issues with him when we first got him. The first time put a leash on him, he urinated all over himself. I felt so bad. We are still working on his manners, he's not exactly the brightest dog but he tries. I'll try the one on one time with the puppy and keep you informed.

puppup11
April 12th, 2005, 02:11 PM
How is he normally (with being housetrained)? I think too dogs pee on things to try to cover up other dog's scents so maybe that's his idea with peeing on the puppies.

Dog Mom
April 12th, 2005, 02:27 PM
It took about a year to have him completly house trained, but now he's amazing, whines at the door to go out. He was homeless when we found him and he was around 3 or 4 ( so the vet figures) so that's I think why it took so long to train him

Prin
April 12th, 2005, 05:39 PM
It's amazing how much you can teach a dog about where to pee. So many dogs pee on the benches at our park and Boo almost peed on a person while trying to pee on the bench and I taught him "No pissing on the benches".

I suspect this is a dominance and hormonal thing in your dog though. My big Boo peed on a small beagle who was in heat. He's never done it since or any other time.

Dog Mom
April 21st, 2005, 09:56 AM
Thanks for all the help. I tried the one on one with each puppy and now that problem is solved. They all get along a big happy family (finally). Gibson has completly regressed in his house training. :sad: He has decided to mark his territory in the house, on clothing, the couches everything. He has also started digging under the fence to get out, (it's not so fun chasing 6 dogs around town at 6 am). For the last week we've had to tie him up Inside the fence. We have a nice big fenced in yard so it makes me feel horrible having to chain him up when the 5 dogs are running free, but we live right on the highway and I've already had 1 dog hit by a car since we've lived there, and I can't handle losing another one. I'm at my wits end, trying to re-train Gibson and trying to train 2, 4 month old puppies. So any help would be greatly appreacated!

Lucky Rescue
April 21st, 2005, 10:08 AM
You must know that having intact bitches in heat is going to affect the behavior of a male dog and I"m not surprised he is marking everywhere.

If you want to breed, you will encounter these kinds of difficulties. Also, trying to raise two siblings is a major challenge for even the most experienced dog owner and NOT recommended. I suggest you rehome one or both of the puppies. YOu seem have way more than you can handle.

Dog Mom
April 21st, 2005, 11:57 AM
At the moment my Husky Zoe isn't in heat, and I don't plan to breed. Her litter was an accident, she is getting fixed in a week. This problem only started about 3 weeks ago, up until then he was good, no marking territory after we house trained him, no digging. Why is raising 2 sibling together so difficult? ( I've never done it before and now you have me worried :) ) I am trying to find homes for the 2 strays that I have now. So when they are gone I'll have 4 dogs. Ya I know you are probably thinking that I should just take the strays to the Humane Society, but I Live in a VERY small town in northern ontario and we have no such services here, the closest adoption center is 4 hours away. I will not give them to the dog catcher here (only service we have) becase if some one will not claim them within 3 days they are shot and left at the dump! If I can't Find homes for them by the time I take Zoe out to get fixed. They will also be going for the ride to the Humane Society. I'd really appreacate the info about the puppies.

Lucky Rescue
April 21st, 2005, 01:52 PM
IF both puppies are the same sex, they may mature to fight fiercely and constantly for dominance. While they are puppies, you will have to work extremely hard to keep both.

Here is a very good article on why raising siblings is a bad idea.
http://www.caninedevelopment.com/Sibling.htm

Dog Mom
April 21st, 2005, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the information LuckyRescue. They are of different sex. We always train/feed our dogs seprately. Every night we make a point of having some alone time with the puppy/dog so that they don't have to always compete for our attention. What about having the mother around could that complicate things also?

mafiaprincess
April 21st, 2005, 03:51 PM
Not a solution for the long term, but for the short term you could look into getting the dog that is marking in the house a belly band. http://www.dog-breeds.net/dog_diaper_belly_band.htm If you google 'belly band' there are tons of sites.

K9-Advantix
April 24th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Well, thanks to your dogs natural ways of life, that just his way of marking his
Territory, Trust me my Cairen terrier does it, And the best way to teach him to stop is everytime he does that lock him in a crate or small room for about 5 minutes, then let him out, but dont act happy, It worked, But he still pees in the house, but not on people or animals anymore.