Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

drinking 8 glasses of water??

raingirl
April 11th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Anyone else have trouble doing this. I REALLY try..but I can never do it. I hate water. I hate how it feels in my stomach, I hate how it tastes. I know it's good for you, and I feel so guilty if I don't at least try to drink more water.

I have tried adding lemon, chlorophyll, cranberry juice, carbonated water, mixing it with anything that gives it flavour, but still can't get my 2 litres a day.

I was also having a debate with someone. They said you don't have to drink 2 litres, just get the equivalent of 2 litres in you. So..if she drinks 2 glasses of OJ, she counts it as 2 waters as they are mostly water... I don't think this is correct.

I usually only get 1-2 glasses a day of water when I remember, but that's it. I have really dry skin and atopic dermatitis, and the doc said more water will help my skin.

I also hate drinking a lot of water as it makes me pee more, and even withouth drinking any water, I always get up to pee at night, and drinking more water makes me get up more at night. I drank two glasses of water with lunch yesterday, and got up to pee 4 times last night!!

Any suggestions??

happycats
April 11th, 2005, 09:39 AM
That is exactly how I feel about water, hate it, can't get 8 glasses down if I tried, and even if I get close to 8 glasses I am in the bathroom every 5 minutes! I have a very dry skin prob as well, and I know I should be drinking more. As for Orange juice I think it does count as a glass, my doc told me pop, tea and coffee DO NOT count (anything with caffene basically do not count) but juices do, (only they are very high in sugar, so you shouldn't drink them all day either)
Have you tried crystal light single serving? I find it makes drinking water more bareable, and can split them each in 2 as I find a whole one way to strong. (they come in lots of flavors to)

raingirl
April 11th, 2005, 09:40 AM
I tried crystal light. It's ok..but don't like the aftertaste. I have some splenda that I don't mind the taste of, so I was thinking I might try a little splenda in the place of sugar, and make some olf fashioned Kool Aid...

SnowDancer
April 11th, 2005, 09:57 AM
If it is any comfort, I have extremely dry and dehydrated skin - always have -and drinking 8 glasses plus of water a day made absolutely no difference to my skin. I suffered from acid based kidney stones so have gone the water route numerous times. I also have a tendency for water to build up in my system so that it only comes out at night and once I wake up, I am up. Re the orange juice, it will count as water, but as was pointed out, the natural sugars can be a problem. Unfortunately if you are not supposed to use sugar substitutes, the Crystal Light will be a problem for you.

Sunkist/Winnie
April 11th, 2005, 10:05 AM
I have a hard time drinking my water unless I'm at work. I work at a deask all day, so I just try and keep my water glass full and drink it whenever I notice it on my desk during theday. I do not like cold water out of the cooler, so I do need to let it warm up a bit.

Juice/milk can be a substitute for water. I'm pretty sure I read that if you drink caffienated beverages you have to to add an 8oz of water to compensate for it. But remember if you are trying to lose weight juice/milk has calories.

I know if I have been good and drinking my water then my body seems to deal with it better = quicker elimination. I do have to stop drinking water around suppertime or I'll be up at night peeing too.

If you really hate water what about exploring the option of drinking herbal teas? Pick one that is caffiene free and you can have a wide variety of flavours.

Schwinn
April 11th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Thank you! I knew I couldn't be the only person who didn't like water, although I do drink water during sports (if it's cold enough, I enjoy it while I'm exerting myself). I usually drink at least a litre when I ride. But the rest of the time, I try to drink lots of juices and I'm now drinking Powerade all day long. It is true, it doesn't have to be pure water, but just remember that one glass of juice is less than one glass of water.

Eleni
April 11th, 2005, 10:34 AM
I drink more then 8 glasses of water easily, however im still breastfeeding my baby and breastfeding him seems to make me hugely thirsty

seems everytime i sit down to feed Ty im needing to drink a big glass of water.

Eleni

Lizzie
April 11th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Really there is no substitute for water. I've talked to many doctors about this because I used to HATE water--refused to drink it at all costs.

It took some getting used to but now it is all I drink. Only if I am out for dinner somewhere special do I ever drink anything but water.

Adding things to your water only adds sugars to your body that you likely don't need. There's also food colouring and additives that you could do without.

Fruit juices are not a good substitute either as many of them are fake, contain excessive amounts of sugar and are big calorie bumpers. Eat real fruits if you want fruit intake.

My suggestion is to clean out all of your other drinks...everything!! It's the ONLY way I could do it.

Also, to me, all spring water and tap water is gross. It's gritty and yucky as far as I'm concerned. Distilled water is all I can drink--or Dasani which is filtered many many times. Distilled water is the best water you can drink---you can get jugs of it from Loblaws for 1.29 each...so it's much cheaper than anything else you might buy to drink..and better for you!

My suggestion is to go that route. That's what I did about three months ago and I'm loving it! My skin is feeling younger, and softer and my entire body just feels cleansed.

sammiec
April 11th, 2005, 11:33 AM
I must be strange! I LOVe drinking water. Mind you I have to now being pregnant and all, but I couldn't even tell you how much I drink all day. I know I drink more then 2 litres though because I have a 1L Nalgene bottle that I carry around with me and I fill it at least a couple times a day! I can drink it room temp and freezing cold! Except when it comes out of the tap cloudy, can't drink that! LOL

I try to drink lots of juices and I'm now drinking Powerade all day long. It is true, it doesn't have to be pure water,
I saw on Global News the other day that Powerade and Gatorade have just as much - if not more - sugar then a can of Coke!!

Eleni
April 11th, 2005, 12:01 PM
those powerdrinks also ahve alot of sodium, wich some people try to avoid

Eleni

Prin
April 11th, 2005, 04:24 PM
If I drink one glass of water a day, I've been good. I drink litres and litres of milk (which some say is bad, I know all the arguments), so there really isn't room for water. Water has a time and a place. I grew up drinking water in restaurants and I still do. I drink water with exercise and in the car. Anything with tomato sauce gets milk. Sweets get milk. Ice cream gets milk. Asian food gets water.
I've only heard that milk makes your skin good... Water hydrates, but milk tweaks.

Water is ok, but only in the right context...

(Power drinks are also full of sugar and food colorings. I don't see anything wrong with replacing water with good real juice. It's like eating a fruit and drinking water at the same time, no?)

melanie
April 11th, 2005, 04:41 PM
as eleni said powerade contains soduium, that is salt. basicalkly thsoe drink do rehydrate you fast, but because of all the sodium you are dehydrated fast too.

dont drink water from a glass, use a bottle i find that helps. i drink 3 litres of water a day and have for years. i think the secret to getting in a good amount is to drink it early in the day, when your body adapts to using water properly you will not pee as much. you see you pee alot as your body is not used to dealing with that much water, it usually gets crap for hydration so it conserves water differently.

it amazes me that people dont drink water, or think that having flavoured water is the same (its not by the way, your body is too busy dealing with the caffine, sugars and sodium that it does not get the full benefit of water).

90% of the human body is water, we cannot survive without it. the strain caused by not replenishing water supplies is tremendous. basically you are dehydrating your body and brain to the point where it conserves water in funny ways, and you suffer dehydration and poor skin/hair. 80% of headaches are actually dehydration of the brain taking oplace, if you ahve a headache skull a glass or two of water and keep it up, you may find the headache disapears in secounds. majority of headaches is the brains way of saying it is dehydrated and needs water.

when you dont drink water you are abusing the system that gives you life, jsut like a car needs oil to run properly you need clean pure unadalterated water. you must feel terrible physically, i know if i drink less than 2ltrs in a day i am dehydrated the next day and dotn feel so fresh. not to mention the toxic feelings of not flushing the system, yuck. itsthe most natural drink out there. your body has processes that require nutrition and hydration, without meeting those processes your body copes in not such healthy ways.

if you respect your body and like being healthy, weather you like water or not you will drink your share daily. and you adapt to the taste and feel. your body needs it fuels, and weather your taste buds agree is not the issue, it basically comes down to how you want to be physically and in respect to health.

now go and get drinking, you will feel better, look clearer, be less toxic and add years to your health. :D

Rick C
April 11th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Anyone else have trouble doing this. I REALLY try..but I can never do it. I hate water. I hate how it feels in my stomach, I hate how it tastes. I know it's good for you, and I feel so guilty if I don't at least try to drink more water.

I'm a runner - I'll be doing the Stampede half-marathon this summer and other events - but I couldn't put down eight glasses of water in a day, even though its obviously important to stay hydrated if you're a runner.

I'd be trotting to the washroom all the time and feeling slightly awash.

At most, I'll drink three bottles of water. . . . and I carry water when I'm running. I like ice cold water and we use well water on our acreage which I keep in the fridge for handy use.

But eight glasses? I couldn't do it.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

glasslass
April 11th, 2005, 05:46 PM
dont drink water from a glass, use a bottle i find that helps. :D

I think that's a biggy! I wasn't drinking enough water at work. I work on the opposite side of the building from the drinking fountain. Good intentions, but I'd get busy and pretty soon the day was gone with very little water intake. I make a point of drinking a liter bottle before lunch and another liter before leaving for home. It's really just a habit and not hard to do anymore. Sometimes at home I'll add a lemon twist to the bottle. Adds a lot!

CyberKitten
April 11th, 2005, 06:06 PM
It is actually pretty much a myth that we need to drink 8 glasses of water. We DO need that many ozs of fluids but most fluids will do. Water is healthier of course, depending on its source but I am a milk drinker and drink it copiously. We also get nutrients from veggies and other foods - most veggies contain H2O. So... drink your fav liquids with abandon. (Not necly potent ones tho :) )

Prin
April 11th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Yey!! Thanks Cyberkitten.. :)

Karin
April 11th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Water is one of the few natural ingredients of life...get use to it, embrace it. Water has no color or taste, if your water does, you are doing something wrong.

I use to hate water too. I thought of it as "punishment" when I was a kid.

Karin
April 11th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Oops! Brain fart..I forgot to add, in response to the 8 glasses of water a day.

As far as "I" know, I did not come with a rule book. So, to each their own. Drink water, substitue it when you can. I have found meals go down better & digest better with it & hot afternoons are weathered better with water.
I like my coffee in the am followed by diet coke.

I also have been know to partake in a margarita party...or two.

I go back to the water in the middle of the night sometimes too.

No rules here....I did hate the stuff growing up. Unless I was swimming in it.

Copper'sMom
April 11th, 2005, 08:22 PM
I heard about a "New Study" that now, coffee or pop can be added into your 8 glasses of water a day category(in moderate amounts). I don't even drink one glass of water a day! The only liquid I take in is 2 or 3 large coffees a day and maybe one small glass of kool-aid at night!! I only get dry skin in the winter(woodstove heat!). I do believe this new study because if coffee dehydrates me, than I probably would have been dead along time ago!! I hardly eat any fruits or veggies, so I really wouldn't be getting hydrated from them!!

I heard this on a local news station(News Now), so many people may not have heard this study - i don't know!

Schwinn
April 11th, 2005, 09:27 PM
I just read a study in one of my magazines (I read bike magazines and bodybuilding magazines...yes, quite the contrast!), don't remember which, but I also read the study about taking in various forms of liquid. One of the things that was discussed was the myth that drinking coffee and pop would dehydrate you because caffeine is a diaretic. They have now found this to be false. I do know that when I ride, in the middle of a ride, I tend to drink water to keep my from "bonking" (what happens when you run out of fuel), and once in a while I'll have a sports drink which tends to give me an energy boost. I actually had a nutritionist suggest adding salt to Powerade (Gatorade has a higher sodium content and doesn't need it).

Rainy
April 11th, 2005, 09:43 PM
I love drinking water from a bottle rather than a glass also! I have no idea why but it just goes down better.The colder your water is the quicker your body will eliminate it.

Prin
April 11th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Water is one of the few natural ingredients of life...get use to it, embrace it. Water has no color or taste, if your water does, you are doing something wrong.
I am so offended!! Just kidding. It's not me who is doing something wrong, it's Montreal. Ever since we woke up one night and it reeked of sewage on our street, we don't drink tap water as much. Before that, it was really good because we have a broken water main just before our apt so the water is always very cold straight out of the tap. It's funny because they fixed the watermain 3 times a couple of years ago (we had no water for 2 weeks) and the water was normal temp out of the tap, so we had to use ice. This winter it must have broken again because it's all cold again...

Cactus Flower
April 11th, 2005, 11:33 PM
My docs say that nothing replaces water, because, as Mel mentioned, your body will have to process all of the additives in it. It's not the same.

One thing, ladies, that you might like hearing: the more water you drink, the more water you'll flush out that you've been retaining. It's true that most of us are chronically dehydrated. Once we show our bodies that we will be giving it regular and copious amounts of what it needs-it will stop saving what it has stored up- and flush it out!

To me, not drinking water is like never rinsing out your sink. Ick. Our bodies need rinsing (not to mention hydrating).

My Mom and I have been trying to figure out why we drink more water if we have it in bottles in the fridge. She calls it pure laziness..."too lazy to get a glass and get it from the tap, or what?". But we still keep well stocked with bottled water, so long as it keeps us drinking.

I have always had a rule for my son and myself: If you want a pop, you must first drink the same amount of water. If you're going to have half a can of pop, you must drink half a can's worth of water. If you're going to have a full can, you must drink that much water first.

And anyone who thinks coffee isn't a diuretic hasn't been at our coffee shop lately. Man, two cups and I'm a peeing sonofagun! If you're not peeing a lot from caffeinated beverages, perhaps it is because you are too dehydrated already to have anything to pee out.

And the headache thing.....it works. 90% of the time, my headache is gone after just having a glass or two of water. Takes more than a few seconds, but it's still very fast and better than swallowing a pill!

Lizzie
April 12th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Apparently water can also help reduce cellulite if you drink boatloads of it a day! :cool:

xorochellexo
April 12th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Anyone else have trouble doing this. I REALLY try..but I can never do it. I hate water. I hate how it feels in my stomach, I hate how it tastes. I know it's good for you, and I feel so guilty if I don't at least try to drink more water. water is boring and I hate drinking it . the only thing I can handle is some of the flavored stuff and crystal light tea. that is usually the only way I drink water. I know they have so many different kinds in the store but I think it's pretty sad we have to pay for something thats supposed to be free it's like saying the crap that comes out of our faucets isent good enough to drink, that we need to run to the store to buy it.

I was also having a debate with someone. They said you don't have to drink 2 litres, just get the equivalent of 2 litres in you. So..if she drinks 2 glasses of OJ, she counts it as 2 waters as they are mostly water... I don't think this is correct.

[/QUOTE] No this is not correct. the main reasons they want you to drink alot of water is to flush out your system and when you drink anything with sodium or artificial flavors it just retains the water in your body. oj is good for you especially for the vitamin c but even drinking too much of that is bad. it has alot of sodium and acids that are bad for you and your skin.

Luvmypit
April 12th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Did you know your can actually die from drinking to much water? Its true. I forgot what its called but be forewarned you would have to drink alot alot alot of water. Water has its benefits and its one of the purest things we can put in our body. Its a detoxifier in its own way and certainly doesnt hurt to drink 8 glasses. But I dont think for most people 8 glasses is feesible I have herd that drinking as much as you can and then having fresh fruits and veggies will do just fine.
I hardley drink water which i think I will start doing so.

Luvmypit
April 12th, 2005, 03:08 PM
http://www.mashinc.org/resources-essay-water.html

Read that . They even say atheletes have died because the water causes the brain to swell.

I just eat and drink what i want and hope for the best. lol

CyberKitten
April 12th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Actually she is to a certain extent. Obviously, OJ is ot the same as water (different nutrients, etc - especially the less pure stuff. My folks have tangelo and orange trees and the squeezed juice is soooo god!).

I have never liked water tho I am coming to enjoy bottled water and tea makes me physically ill for some unknown reason so I drink other fluids to get my daily intake.

I can only address it from a medical standpoint but we do need fluids to replace the amount we lose daily through excretion, perspiration, and other functions, but that amount can varies widely from person to person -depending on age, physical condition, activity level, and climate. The "8-10 glasses of water per day" is a rule of thumb ands even amg nutritionists, its origin is elusive.

As a recent Los Angeles Times article on the subject reported:

"Consider that first commandment of good health: Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. This unquestioned rule is itself a question mark. Most nutritionists have no idea where it comes from. "I can't even tell you that," says Barbara Rolls, a nutrition researcher at Pennsylvania State University, "and I've written a book on water."

Some say the number was derived from fluid intake measurements taken decades ago among hospital patients on IVs; others say it's less a measure of what people need than a convenient reference point, especially for those who are prone to dehydration, such as many elderly people.

The consensus seems to be that the average person loses ten cups (where one cup = eight ounces) of fluid per day but also takes in four cups of water from food, leaving a need to drink only six glasses to make up the difference, a bit short of the recommended eight to ten glasses per day. But according to the above-cited article, medical experts don't agree that even that much water is necessary:

Kidney specialists do agree on one thing, however: that the 8-by-8 rule is a gross overestimate of any required minimum. To replace daily losses of water, an average-sized adult with healthy kidneys sitting in a temperate climate needs no more than one liter of fluid, according to Jurgen Schnermann, a kidney physiologist at the National Institutes of Health.

One liter is the equivalent of about four 8-ounce glasses. According to most estimates, that's roughly the amount of water most of us get in solid food. In short, though doctors don't recommend it, many of us could cover our bare-minimum daily water needs without drinking anything during the day.

Certainly there are beneficial health effects attendant with being adequately hydrated, and some studies have seemingly demonstrated correlations between such variables as increased water intake and a decreased risk of colon cancer.

Neither do we need to worry about dehydration due to caffeine intake. I say that as someone who likes coke, lol

Regular coffee and tea drinkers become accustomed to caffeine and lose little, if any, fluid. In a study published in the October issue of the Journal of the American College of Nutrition, researchers at the Center for Human Nutrition in Omaha measured how different combinations of water, coffee and caffeinated sodas affected the hydration status of 18 healthy adults who drink caffeinated beverages routinely.

"We found no significant differences at all," says nutritionist Ann Grandjean, the study's lead author. "The purpose of the study was to find out if caffeine is dehydrating in healthy people who are drinking normal amounts of it. It is not."

The same goes for tea, juice, milk and caffeinated sodas: One glass provides about the same amount of hydrating fluid as a glass of water. The only common drinks that produce a net loss of fluids are those containing alcohol and usually it takes more than one of those to cause noticeable dehydration, doctors say.

The best general advice (keeping in mind that there are always exceptions) is to rely upon your normal senses. If you feel thirsty, drink if you don't feel thirsty, don't drink unless you want to. The exhortation that we all need to satisfy an arbitrarily rigid rule about how much water we must drink every day was aptly skewered in a letter by a Los Angeles Times reader:

Although not trained in medicine or nutrition, I intuitively knew that the advice to drink eight glasses of water per day was nonsense. The advice fully meets three important criteria for being a health urban legend: excess, public virtue, and the search for a cheap "magic bullet."

Luvmypit
April 12th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Well said Cyber!
Ya thats what i meant...What she said :rolleyes:

chico2
April 12th, 2005, 04:46 PM
On a hot summer day,nothing beats a cold bottle of beer :crazy: I have lots of water in my pool,that's about as close as I get to drinking water :thumbs up Hubby however drinks a lot of water,even warm water :yuck:
An icecold glass of cranberry juice is ok too...

melanie
April 12th, 2005, 05:11 PM
do you guys drink water when you drink beer or alcohol? years ago someone told me to have a glass of water to each beer to avoid hangover (well some of it, the hang over part related to brain hydration :D ).

for every beer i have, i have a glass of water in between, i dont know if i pee more or not, i pee alot when i drink beer anyway so i have not noticed. not only does it help you the next day, it makes you feel less seedy when your drinking, it refreshes you during the evening. not to mention it really make the beer budget streach farther.

i love water and would probable die without at least 2ltrs a day. i really do feel terrible if i dont have enough water daily, and the next day i am very dehydrated if i dont get enough. i honestly feel jsut disgusting without water, even for an hour,. i have a big water bottle with me absolutly every where or will use garden taps or absolutly anything for a drink.

i jsut love that feeling when your really hot and dehyged, and you get a big fresh bottle of water and skull the lot at once, its such a nice cooling feeling, yum. :D