Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about the adoption process

amber416
April 10th, 2005, 10:40 PM
I have a question for all of you foster parents/rescue volunteers. I am currently fostering three kittens (about 8 months old), all related, for a local cat rescue. The rescue was undergoing a lot of hectic changes when i first got involved because they were in the process of seperating themselves from the local humane society, to become their own no kill rescue, and everything is still very chaotic. They hold very sporadic adoption fairs (i've had the boys for three weeks and there was finally one for the first time last weekend,although there were no adoptions) that are set up with no prior advertisement in a small cat store. The foster parents are encouraged to really help out with the adoption of their cats but I'm kind of stumped as to what I could be doing. I'm concerned that these kitten's window of adoption opportunity is going to be closing the older they get and really want to find them a home as soon as possible. They are listed on Petfinder through the rescue and i will take them to any adoption fairs that the rescue holds but any suggestions about what else i could be doing?

Lucky Rescue
April 11th, 2005, 12:07 AM
8 months old? Not kittens any longer!

Here are some things you can do on your own. Take some really good pics of the cats looking friendly and relaxed.

Use these to make up posters. Put an eye-catching write up about them - not just dry facts. E.g. "My name is Tommy and I like to give kisses and lap-sit..." mention anything they do that is cute or unusual etc.

Take these posters and put them up at all vet offices, grooming salons, kennels, pet supply stores, grocery store bulletin boards and any other place you can think of.

Ask everyone you know - co-workers, family members, neighbours - if they or anyone they know are looking for a wonderful cat.

Thanks for fostering and helping save lives.:)

amber416
April 11th, 2005, 01:04 AM
8 months old? Not kittens any longer!

:) yeah, that is what i thought as well. They act like kittens but they certainly don't look like kittens anymore! The rescue, however, insists that they are kittens (and are adopted out with a kitten fee) until they are a year old. Thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely get started on some cute posters!

Lucky Rescue
April 12th, 2005, 10:46 AM
I hope these "kittens" are spayed and neutered.;)

One more thing - if you have a small local newspaper, you might contact them. Tell them the name of the rescue and ask if they would consider putting a small pic and story about the cats, and maybe about other cats for adoption.

Our local paper is now giving us an "adoption corner" in each weekly issue!!:)

(THANK YOU PAULINE NAIDOO OF THE "LOCAL JOURNAL"!!!!)

amber416
April 12th, 2005, 11:51 AM
I hope these "kittens" are spayed and neutered.;)

of course :)