Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Most Popular Dog Today

Shamrock
April 10th, 2005, 03:47 PM
What breeds do you most commonly see in your area?
Big dogs predominate here, think they've always been the most favoured.
From my own observation- no doubt that the Rottweiler is number one hands-down in popularity here. Pitties and Goldens rank evenly as the next two breeds. Along with a variety of larger cross breeds of Rottie/Labs.. these make up the vast majority of all dogs I see.
Shih Tzu's and Jack Russells are the most commonly seen small dogs.

I was just thinking how some breeds are virtually never seen these days..
The Airedale
Old English Sheepdogs
Collies! I've not seen a full sized collie for years. Where are the "Lassies"?
Even German Sheperds, once so popular, are quite a novelty.
A lot of others too... just not in public demand.
Breeds come and go in favour of course,for a variety of reasons.

Do you find the Rottweiler to be THE purebred dog most likely to be found in your own neighborhood dog park...or sadly.. the local shelter?

LittleLoves
April 10th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Ok..the most commonly seen dogs in the shelters in my area are the large breeds. Rotties, and Rottie mixes, labs, lab/rottie mixes, and German Shephard Mixes. :sad: We live near a large military base and I sometimes wonder if that is why there are so many "status" (and I mean that towards the guys that get them to look cool and powerful) dogs stuck at the shelters. You get posted to another province and then 'King' becomes an inconvenience. :mad:

Most commonly on the street? In my neighborhood it's Golden Retrievers. Probably out of 20 dogs in my subdivision there are 13 Goldens. The small breeds are definitely Shih Tzus. In fact, we are getting a little boy Shih Tzu on April 21st. :) There is a beautiful Great Dane just down the street, but in the city I've only seen 3 in the last couple of years.

Prin
April 10th, 2005, 04:20 PM
I'd say labs (mostly black), german shepherds, crosses of the two, mutts or all kinds, jack russells, bichons, and believe it or not, Leonbergers. They're not incredibly popular but for a dog that is rare and has only one or two reputable breeders in Canada, the fact that we have 3 at our park is a lot...

Dobermanns are coming back in style too (I'm glad because it was Weims before and most "normal" dog owners can't handle a Weim, dobies are easier to train).

twodogsandacat
April 10th, 2005, 05:05 PM
...believe it or not, Leonbergers. They're not incredibly popular but for a dog that is rare and has only one or two reputable breeders in Canada, the fact that we have 3 at our park is a lot...

Wow - I thought they were pretty rare too. There was one mentioned in a National Post story today and a co-worker actually brought his two females from Russia with him. We had to look them up on the internet when he told us he owned Leonbergers as we had never heard of them.

Around here - on walks there are many little dogs and I'm sorry I don't really know the breeds. Most of the larger dogs are labs-retrievers (anybody mind if I group them?), shepherds, Collies (including Shelties) and then huskies. Of course there are many mixes.

melanie
April 10th, 2005, 05:16 PM
maltese, maltese, maltese, matlese crosses and anything jsut as shaggy and small. big dogs here are a real novelty, you see alot of cattle dogs but this is farming community so thats a given. but maltese, maltese ahhhh more maltese.

i have a shepherd, there is only one other shepherd in town and he is a real spunk rat, but we only see him occassionally. apart from two pig dogs you see occassionally, charlie is the biggest dog walking the streets around here.

but then big dogs are becoming so unpopular, ppl want a dog to fit into the little pocket on the side of their handbags, you know the one, right next to the mobile ph pocket, i swear that is true.

big dogs are seen as an inconvience, but in a way it is good,. it means that there arent a million big dogs here sitting in backyards not getting walked, the little ones are easier to excersise than the bigies. although on the other sidee of that coin it means there are a large number of small dogs out there not recieving proper training, as many of us know it is easy to let the little ones get awaywith things, but a big dog is a huge problem if it is naughty, and often the little ones dont have such intense training as the biggies. well thats what i have found anyways.

Safyre
April 10th, 2005, 07:05 PM
The dog that i see most often in my city?
Pit Bulls, Staffies and any combination there of. Basically, the dogs that are being banned, are the most popular in my city.
Unfortunately, I live just down the street from pot houses and drugs dalers, who have Pits, that they train to attack (hanging a dummy 5 feet off the ground and teaching the dog to attack it)
Its really disturbing.
In the park across the street from my house, there really is no consensus for dogs. I have seen many different types, no common ones.

doggy lover
April 10th, 2005, 07:14 PM
I'd say mostly goldens and medium sized cross breeds. The odd sheperd, dobe and boxer. Tucker's favorite a large blood hound. Alot of shepherd crosses and a few border collie crosses.

db7
April 10th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Fat Labs, all colours.

wjranch
April 10th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Whew! from the sounds of all of your area's My neighborhood seems like a veritable zoo of dog breeds.... lets' see... I have a shep/dobe mix and a dobie purebreed... there are a total of
4 JRt's,
1 dane,
2 greyhounds,
1 italian greyhound,
1 more dobies,
1 cardigan welsh corgi,
1 german shorthaired pointer,
1 boxer,
1 standard poodle,
4 mixed breeds (anyones guess)
1 golden retriever,
1 german shepherd,
1 lhasa apso... any other's I'm not aware of yet :)
That's a lot of dogs!

Lizzie
April 10th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Pit Bulls by a landslide. They are everywhere I look. In fact, they are the only dog I see in large numbers anymore...

Lissa
April 10th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Around my house - any smallish dog is predominant! Mostly Shih Tzu, Maltese and Bichon's!!

At the dog park - Golden's, Lab's or Border Collies!

greaterdane
April 10th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Over here in the Niagara area I see alot of labs, and shepherds. In the shelters we have alot of border collie mixes, shep mixes and pitt bull mixes. As for small breeds its pretty much shih tzus or mixes of this breed. There have been quite a few chis lately and some yorkies. At the dog park in Burlington I see alot of labs and mixes as well.

Cactus Flower
April 11th, 2005, 02:44 AM
Way down here in New Mexico, it's heelers by far. Mostly blue heelers, but some red. The oilfield workers normally work 12 days on (for a 12-16 hour shift), then four days off. Almost every one has a heeler that rides with them to work, stays with them on the job and wherever they go. They keep them company out on the oil rig all day, all night, then go home and get spoiled. Those guys love their heelers.

r0amy0
April 11th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Poodles, chihuahuas, schnauzers, & cocker spaniels around me...

BMDLuver
April 11th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Walking by our house we see:

5 goldens
3 Bernese Mountain Dogs
1 Great Dane
2 Black Labs
1 Beagle
1 pitt/lab
1 GSD
1 pitt/terrier mix
1 Foxhound
1 saint
1 cockapoo
1 Labernois
All these dogs live on our street or the next street over and walk by daily.

When driving around the neighbourhood, we see a ton of goldens mainly. I've seen two rotties, 1 bouvier, 1 standard poodle and 2 chocolate labs as well. The neighbourhood doesn't seem to have a large number of mutts.

Now that spring is arriving I expect we'll see a few more.

nymph
April 11th, 2005, 08:37 AM
In my neighborhood, large breeds dominate as well:
goldens (mostly fat ones), labs, german shepherds, husky, a gigantic great pyrenees, and a very active portugese waterdog, jogs with the owner everyday.

Smaller breeds include:
beagles, JRT, shi-tzu, pugs.

Very few mixed breeds though.

Dukieboy
April 11th, 2005, 08:48 AM
When I visited Ireland the ONLY dogs I saw were JRTs.

CyberKitten
April 11th, 2005, 09:16 AM
I saw a variety of dogs in Ireland and my cousin brought home a Border collie from County Mayo. They are very popular there. I think here - I see labs, German Shephards, lab mixes, ****zus (sp?) and lately, I've seen many lasa appsa's. There are many others of course but these seem most popular.

savannah
April 11th, 2005, 11:10 AM
On my street, we have a wide variety of dogs.
a few jrt's
1 doberman
a few german shepards
1 bichon

but when i go for walks the most common dog would be a medium - large breed mutt.
I am actually happy that my dog breed, a peke, is not very popular, since i would hate for them to be one of the millers top choice. I get happy when the peke wins westminster, but then i think it might increase their breeding with millers, etc. just to please all those "fashionable" people who want to own the "in" dog.

BeagleMum
April 11th, 2005, 11:37 AM
In our area, there are 4 Golden Retrievers, 1 Doberman, 1 German Shepard, 1 beagle (mine), and some mixed breeds. I would say hands down if you go to a dog park around here, the Labs and Golden Retrievers would be the most popular. For small dogs, definitely the shih-tzu.

Karin
April 11th, 2005, 05:39 PM
This area has a wealth of different breeds. Rotti's, Poodles, Maltese's, heavy on the JRT's, (horse country favorites). Neighboring farm has 2 Irish Wolf hounds that cruise over here for snacks. Shelties galore and German shepherds every where.
Last week we had a beautiful blue Pitty stroll in and stay..she was young and had obvious road rash from falling out of a truck...very common around here. She rode on my golf cart with me for most of the day. The boss called animal control before closing, things are better here in the south with Pitty's...the officer that picked her up fell in love on the spot.(He took my old job)...he was waiting for the mandatory 3 day wait for a reclaim and was planning to take her home. I called the animal center today to find out and was told he took early leave today so he can settle in his new dog. A happy ending.

Sadie's Mom
April 11th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Pitbull and Rotti crosses are everywhere here.

Yesterday, I saw a bunch of people walking four golden retrievers!

Also in my neighborhood there's a lady with three greyhounds.

niagarapets
April 19th, 2005, 02:23 PM
I'm a pet sitter/ dog walker in the Niagara area so I see lots of dogs :-)

I'd the say the most common dogs I have as clients and the most common I see when I am "out and about" are labs and retrievers. I am also seeing more and more Bernese Mountain dogs.

In the shelter, I tend to see GSD, "pit bull" and rottie mixes. :-(

Amy

Princesss04
April 19th, 2005, 03:04 PM
We have mostly mutts around here. LOL They are all mixed because the dumb people from where I am at will not fix their dogs and all they do is breed. Makes me so mad. Than up goes the signs free pets. :mad: We do have a pure great dane on the street but other than that mutts. :D

kandy
April 19th, 2005, 05:16 PM
In my neighborhood there a quite a few dogs but the one I notice the most is the poodle mix behind me because it barks all the time. I noticed that my dogs were barking alot more after those folks moved in. Other than that one, there are quite a few mid size mutts - a couple of german shepards, rotties, One huge Great Dane (gorgeous dog!). In our community I see cattle dogs (most people around here call em dingo's - even tho that's not what they are), saint bernards, laso appso (sp?), lots and lots of labs (every color) and even a couple of mastiffs. I have to say that my Newf is one of only two in our whole town, and the other folks are friends of ours who got theirs after they saw our first newf. They brought him down from Canada and paid big money for him.

goldenblaze
April 19th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Neat thread interesting :)
I live in the country not alot of houses on my road not many dogs either but here is the list. I know all the dogs by name.
We have 4 golden retriever's including Blaze, 2 husky and Jordie 1 shih tzu so Goldens rule my neighborhood :thumbs up