Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I hate wasps!

raingirl
April 10th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Today I almost got stung twice!! Why are they atracted to me?? BF says it's because I'm blond and have long hair that smells nice, and it's a bright colour...is that why? Both times then went for my face.

Bee allergies run in my family, and I have had one sting so far that turned into a baseball size welt. I'm worried that a second could be a lot worse. Can they test for bee sting allergies?

CyberKitten
April 10th, 2005, 12:42 PM
If you have greay smelling shampoo on your hair or any kind of scented product, wasps and any insect will ove you! I learned the hard way NOT to wash my haor before mowing the lawn, lol

Cactus Flower
April 10th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Hmm. I have long blonde hair, too, but they don't pay particular attention to me. Could be something you're using that smells flowery. Perfume? Body wash? Shampoo?

Lizzie
April 10th, 2005, 01:56 PM
I agree with CK..it's the scent they are after.

I always have summer bugs buzzing around my head---and I hate it. Other ppl I'm around never experience the same level of attraction.

One summer I had tried a new face powder that had a scent and boy oh boy!! Bugs were always hitting my face, swirling around and driving me crazy. They taught me a lesson that's for sure!

Writing4Fun
April 10th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Raingirl, are you talking about wasps or yellow jackets (hornets)? Because wasps, as I understand it, are the long, thin brown or black ones that generally stay out of people's way. The yellow jackets are the crazy ones that dive-bomb you if you get too close. I believe you can be tested for bee sting allergies, and it's a good idea to get it done if you think there's a chance of allergies. A severe reaction can be fatal, can't it? :eek:

I'm terrified of anything with more than 4 legs, but more than 4 legs and a stinger are enough to send me screaming from the vicinity. Don't know why - I can't remember ever being stung - it's just one of those things. :o

And, yeah, I'm one of those people who attracts bugs. People love it when I come to a bonfire, because they know the mosquitos will be feasting on me so they'll pretty much be left alone. :p

By the way, I heard that golfers put a sheet of Bounce in their back pockets to keep the bees away. Might be worth a shot...

Prin
April 10th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Yes it can be fatal and yes you can be tested and yes you should because if you are alone and pass out, your chances are not good.