Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Detroit News Poll requires YOUR vote please (it's split right now)

PitPal
April 8th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Hey guys and gals, please vote - btw you don't need to register or give your email...

http://www.detnews.com/2005/metro/0504/06/B01-139928.htm

THANKS!!!

babyrocky1
April 9th, 2005, 07:47 PM
I voted but sometimes these stories really get to me. :sad:

twodogsandacat
April 9th, 2005, 11:59 PM
I know they do. They get to me too. However it's never really the dogs and there is usally more to the stories. Look at the stories of the twenty dog related deaths in the US last year and you will see many 'mistakes' made.

I use this question to validate my feelings. If pits were banned could this of still happened?

Usually the answer is yes. Chained dogs, food guarding, middle of two dogs fighting (any dogs) and leaving a child with dogs that most likely were trained to attack (protection for illegal activities?).

Also remember we live in Canada. Our laws should reflect that. In the last twenty years what dogs have killed and for what reasons?

In my heart (and I'm a pretty analytical person) I know that implementing as many recommendations of the Courtney Trempe Inquest as possible would make us safer.

babyrocky1
April 10th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Of course I agreee with everything your saying, thts what Im doing here and I wondered myself if the dogs were attack trained or used as guard dogs but for the first time I hesitated before I voted. I had to read some of the comments which provided more balance, The story a usual didn't have the information that we need to figure out what happened.! But a child bing killed b its own two dogs is really out there!. I dfinately had to take a "moment"

twodogsandacat
April 10th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Try this: You read the paper and watch the news everyday so you have no illlusions about the world we live in. One day an alien shows up and says your species is too violent for the comfort of the other species living in the universe and now that your species has space travel you must be destroyed (banned?) unless you change your ways.

If they then showed you all your news broadcasts but nothing else (like the Life network) you would probably agree. This is pretty much the theme of the 1951 movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still". With all it's hoaky special effects the message remains clear:

We ourselves are a war mongering race hell bent on our own destruction. As individuals we are loving and intelligent and we all deserve a chance. So are pits. Remember there are an estimated 28,000 pits in Toronto alone and few stories of attacks. Get rid of the stupidity and there is room for all.

"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it".Klaatu (the alien)