Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tenderfoot has returned.

tenderfoot
April 8th, 2005, 09:35 PM
In case anyone noticed - we have been out of commission for almost a month now - our computer was devoured by spyware and virus' :sick: . I am starting to think that the death penalty might be appropriate for hackers. I can't believe that someone's life is so small that they have time to do damage to complete strangers lives. I never realized how lost we would be without email and that our whole life was stored on this darn machine.We are hoping that we have it all fixed and can get back to work.
I have truly missed the web site and all of your conversations - it was like going through withdrawal.
So I just wanted to say we are back, we missed you all and I hoped we were missed just a little bit. :o

happycats
April 8th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Welcome back (was wondering what happened to you) !
I missed your wonderful training tips!!

BMDLuver
April 9th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Was wondering where the heck you had disappeared to. Glad you're back!

tenderfoot
April 9th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Thanks so much for missing us - it feels like old home week!

meb999
April 9th, 2005, 05:53 PM
It 's good to have you back!!!

twinmommy
April 9th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Yes!!! We noticed!! Of course you were missed!!

I totally sympathize with the whole spyware thing, it happened to us too.
We only got a computer about two years ago( talk about dinosaurs, I know.) We didn't think we needed one.....HA!!! :rolleyes: and then to do without 6 months later was agony!!!!

welcome back!! look forward to your great posts!!

Sneaky2006
April 9th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Every training thread that I've read, I was thinking where's tenderfoot??? They'll know the answer!I am starting to think that the death penalty might be appropriate for hackers. Yeah, me too... it makes me ill to think about people doing that for fun, they really have no real reason! I hope in the mean time you've downloaded spybot and ad-aware?!! So you won't have to worry about spyware atleast... I know new viruses are being made everyday so keeping your virus protection updated as much as possible helps!
Glad you're back!! :)

tenderfoot
April 10th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome backs!
I had Semantec & Spy Sweeper, but that wan't good enough - so my cyberguy put in Norton w/ a firewall and that seems to have done the trick. I was almost ready to chuck it all and get a Mac (no hackers), but then I heard the hackers are starting to go for the Macs too. There is no escaping these jerks!
I am thinking we need to start a therapy group for the terminally small hearted - all hackers invited no charge.

Lizzie
April 10th, 2005, 01:41 PM
The sad part is that even with Norton, spyware can still attach itself to your computer.

I've had Norton forever and about two weeks ago my computer begin lag--I had to get another program called Ad-Aware from CNET to remove all of the junk that is not considered a virus, but can still do unnecessary damage to your computer.

Why on earth people find enjoyment in making these invasive programs is beyond me!

tenderfoot
April 10th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Thanks, I had heard Norton had its own set of problems but so far it's doing great (we are only on day 3).
I am not a conspiracy theorist by nature, but I am beginning to wonder if the software companies aren't doing it to create a market for their anit-virus/spyware programs.

nymph
April 11th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Welcome back! Well I use Microsoft's Anti-Spyware, it's free, but only a beta version. I used to use Spybot, but I find the Microsoft one is even better.

I use Norton's too, it has real-time protection, and I set it to run a weekly full scan of my hard disks.

doggy lover
April 12th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Welcome back was wondering where you were. Quick question what do you think of Jan Fennell's books?

tenderfoot
April 12th, 2005, 10:57 PM
I got her book "The Dog Listener" when it first came out in England in 2000, and as I skimmed through it just now - the places I had highlighted where right on. I liked the way she defined the need for good leadership - which is how we define the human/dog relationship. She talks about how the leadership role needs to be defined in different situations and is more intense at some times than others. We teach that you must create your leadership in all situations - having a great dog is so much more than just doing regular obedience.
I will thumb through it again (since it has been so long since I first read it), and see if there were weak spots in reflection to our experience. What did you think of it?
& thanks for having me revisit the book - I love the English culture (I spent some time growing up in London) and I love to read anything that takes me back there. Even the English spelling system fills me with warm memories - one reason I love to chat with you all in Canada, you write like the Brits do.

doggy lover
April 13th, 2005, 07:27 PM
I have just finished that book and am trying out her methods on my 11 month BorderCollie who thinks he is boss. I have gotten hooked on her style and ordered two more books from England.I like the no force fact and getting the dog to do what you want under his own free will, I don't want to break my dogs spirit. I understand what you mean about the English experience, I was born there and went to see my Nan last Jan before she passed away, mind you I have been there many times yes it brings back memories.

BoxerRescueMTL
April 13th, 2005, 11:44 PM
welcome back tenderfoot! looking forward to some of your good, positive, solid advice :)

tenderfoot
April 14th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Thanks so much, I am touched that our absence was noticed.
This is kind of fun, it's like having my own little chat room!

Princesss04
April 14th, 2005, 11:22 AM
I have been meaning to come in and tell you that I have missed you but have not got a chance. You were missed. Glad you are back! You are not allowed to leave us anymore! :grouphug:

tenderfoot
April 14th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Princess, you are too funny. I have to say I am starting to think we should all take a month long hiatus occasionally and have a welcome back board - it's kind of nice.
Why doesn't my family miss me this much when I am gone? Don't answer that! At least my animals miss me, that I am sure of.