Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

mastiff, great dane mix

StellaGrace
April 8th, 2005, 08:25 PM
First let me start by saying, I'm not Canadian but had been reading all the wonderful info here for an hour and was getting ready to post before I realized it is a Canadian forum. I'm going to take my chances and post anyway. :-) :usa:

I just got a new puppy. I probably had a stupid moment but it will all work out. I had my heart set on a great dane 1-2 years old. There are no local rescues and most of the rescues I contacted wouldn't adopt outside their local area. I had been looking for 8 months. I had researched the breed throroughly and I spend a lot of time with my son's girlfriend's great dane and adore him. The last dog I had was a bouvier 10 years ago (he was stolen out of my yard) so I understand having a big dog.

I responded to an ad in the local paper for a 13 month old brindle dane. I thought I would go check out the dog, make a decision, then come home and call the fence company (not putting up a 6' fence unless I know I need one). I am still considering getting him if nobody else is willing to take him soon but while I was there I fell in love with the 3.5 month old puppy. Honestly I'm not a puppy person but I made the instant decision to muddle through house breaking, etc, and brought her home. The owner only had her 2 weeks and decided to get rid of 5 of her 7 dogs (doberman, great dane, etc) and keep the aggressive sharpei. This was a single mom with 3 kids, a full time job, part time student, 7 dogs, 2 cats, and a litter of kittens. Her 2 year old was playing with a full prescription bottle and she had no problem with it. So I offered her about half of what she claims she paid for the puppy and got her out of that zoo.

Now for the problem.... I know NOTHING about mastiffs. I'm not even certain she is mastiff and great dane. Just took her word for it. She's 3.5 months and 33 lbs (which is on the low end of normal on the weight charts for great danes from what I can find). The vet tech said her eyes look like a pit bull and I can see it a little but I don't think she is. The vet just said "Can't ever tell" then went back to oooh and ahhhing over her saying she was the sweetest thing he'd ever met and how could anyone not love her. She is SO laid back and pliable. She sleeps about 20 hours a day I think. She follows every step I make, waking up if I leave the room, following me, then napping when she gets to where I went. She looks a lot great dane and has the loose skin around her jaw and neck like a neo mastiff. She has a black sheen to her but you can tell she is turning from black to brown. I think I read somewhere that mastiffs do that. She has the personality of a mastiff. If you even slightly raise your voice at her she pouts and ignores you and becomes stubborn but she is very smart and understands no and drop and some other basic commands just in her few days here. She also snores and has gas and I read that is typical in mastiffs.

So my question.... I'm reading up on mastiffs trying to figure out a game plan for training. With a mix, how do you decide which breed to follow the advice for? What should I be feeding her? I bought a small bag of science diet puppy food for big dogs and she hates it. Anybody with mastiffs have advice? Or great danes....

Rebecca

StellaGrace
April 8th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Another picture of her.

Karin
April 8th, 2005, 08:46 PM
There is a great Mastiff member here who should be along shortly to advise you.

She is beautiful! I do see some Dane, brindles do tend to be lean & lanky.

At the given age, growth spurts do mislead. The last picture does look like a pitty head...

Writing4Fun
April 8th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Welcome to the board! You'll find there are lots of Americans here; this board is very international. :D

Your pup is a beauty! :love: I wouldn't call it a "stupid" moment - I'd say it was fate that brought you two together. I don't know much about any of the breeds being considered here, except that they're all gorgeous. You have a real stunner on your hands! :thumbs up

StellaGrace
April 8th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Supposedly mama was a neo mastiff and daddy was a blue merle great dane. I do see the bulldog look in her eyes in that last picture but there is a little distortion in the angle and the lense I was using. I still see it though. I thought maybe mama was a bull mastiff which would make her 20% bulldog but I went back and checked the ad in the paper and it says neo. The previous owner didn't see the parents but saw a picture of them both. She didn't have the pictures though so I had to take her word for it. Not that it matters.

Prin
April 8th, 2005, 09:17 PM
I'm by no means an expert but the way the doggy is sitting, I think if you have money to spare, you should get her hips xrayed to be sure of no hip dysplasia.

You are right to get into training because if this girl gets as big as you think she will, it will be a large beast to handle. Best to do it while she is young.

For stubborn dogs all you have to do differently than any other dog is be VERY consistent.

Good luck and I hope others have more details to share...

meb999
April 8th, 2005, 09:32 PM
I don't have any advice to offer, but I wanted to chime in to say she's BEAUTIFULL!!! :D What's her name?

StellaGrace
April 8th, 2005, 09:44 PM
I'm by no means an expert but the way the doggy is sitting, I think if you have money to spare, you should get her hips xrayed to be sure of no hip dysplasia.

I asked the vet just because I know it's a possibility with big dogs and he didn't x-ray her but from the examination said he didn't think he needed to. The angle in the picture is an odd one because she was laying down and I called her to get her to sit up. She is still clumsy and awkward and I think that is part of the position. I took 30 pictures (seriously, I love my camera) and I just looked back through them. She is sitting in about 2/3rds of them and isn't at that odd angle in any others. She ends up in odd positions because it's like she's always on her way back down for another nap. But I'll keep an eye on her and have her xrayed if she starts showing any sign of problems.

StellaGrace
April 8th, 2005, 09:47 PM
I don't have any advice to offer, but I wanted to chime in to say she's BEAUTIFULL!!! :D What's her name?

Her name is Stella Grace. Her previous owner called her Maybelline but I think she had been kept outside for the 2 weeks they had her and didn't respond to that name so I felt ok changing it.

Prin
April 8th, 2005, 09:49 PM
That way if she ever runs away (I hope she doesn't), you can look really funny outside yelling "STELLA!!! STELLLLLLAAAA!!" lol

StellaGrace
April 8th, 2005, 10:00 PM
That way if she ever runs away (I hope she doesn't), you can look really funny outside yelling "STELLA!!! STELLLLLLAAAA!!" lol

Yeah, we have been going around the house calling her like that all week. She just looks at us like we are crazy.

mesaana
April 8th, 2005, 10:04 PM
She's a cute pup! You should really get her in puppy school and then obedience. Consider it as an investment and a great way of bonding.

Lyne

Lucky Rescue
April 8th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Stella is a beautiful puppy!

Training is training, no matter the breed. Consistancy, kindness and love will do the trick.

Oh and like everyone else says - get her into puppy classes and then obedience.:)

DogueLover
April 8th, 2005, 11:55 PM
Stella is a doll face.
My sister has great danes, I myself, have Dogue De Bordeauxs. I see both dane and mastiff in your puppy`s face.

The stubborn streak is common in both breeds, but the aloof nature you talk about is very typical in Mastiffs. The big softies. LOL

No matter what mix she is ........... she is a real pretty girl.

Here are some pics of my mastiffs for you to compare faces. I definately see mastiff in her.

Also, as for her sitting on her side instead of straight up, my female Mastiff has done that all her life and she does not have hip dysplasia, I think she does it because it is easier to flop down for another nap that way. :)

DogueLover
April 9th, 2005, 12:01 AM
This is my female Dogue De Bordeaux "Angel"
She is affectionately known as meathead.

glasslass
April 9th, 2005, 12:22 AM
Stella looks really sweet! Welcome! There are lots of :usa: on this board, and Canadians, even some in Australia, China, Korea, UK - all over! But we're all the same in being pet-a-holics! :D

StellaGrace
April 9th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Also, as for her sitting on her side instead of straight up, my female Mastiff has done that all her life and she does not have hip dysplasia, I think she does it because it is easier to flop down for another nap that way. :)

That's Stella. She is either napping or on her way up from or on her way down to a nap. Not much else. :)

StellaGrace
April 9th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Training is training, no matter the breed. Consistancy, kindness and love will do the trick.

I know that is true to a certain extent but I also keep reading about the personality traits of mastiffs that she obviously has and realize you have to handle them carefully. For example, she understands "no" in a normal tone but if you sound even slightly scolding she becomes extremely sullen or stubborn depending on the mood you catch her in.

Oh and like everyone else says - get her into puppy classes and then obedience.:)

What are puppy classes? I live in a rural area and there is one person who gives obedience classes every few months. No other options. I have never heard of puppy classes. I guess we will have to be homeschoolers. :clown:

StellaGrace
April 9th, 2005, 10:01 AM
This is my female Dogue De Bordeaux "Angel"
She is affectionately known as meathead.

Awwwww she is adorable!

Lucky Rescue
April 9th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Puppy classes are to socialize puppies to other people and puppies and give them a bit of early training.

Do you have friends who have gentle older dogs to play with Stella and start teaching her some manners?

As for the manner of training, I don't know about Mastiffs or Danes, but some breeds of dogs - like pit bulls - are very "soft" to corrections, and anything harsh will make them shut down. Only positive methods can ever be used.

Other breeds are "hard" (stubborn and/or more dominant) and training must be much more firm.

For a dog who is going to be huge, I really suggest obedience school. Most of these schools will take puppies 6 months old.

StellaGrace
April 9th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Puppy classes are to socialize puppies to other people and puppies and give them a bit of early training.

Do you have friends who have gentle older dogs to play with Stella and start teaching her some manners?

Not really but she has been with 6 other dogs until we got her and she seems great around other dogs. I took her to my mother's house and her itty bitty dog attacked Stella! She bit her in the butt. Poor Stella just took it and didn't snap back or anything. Then she sat in my lap and pouted for 15 minutes.

For a dog who is going to be huge, I really suggest obedience school. Most of these schools will take puppies 6 months old.

We are definitely doing that. I haven't called yet (they aren't in the phone book so I have to wait till they put an ad in the paper for the next class).

Cactus Flower
April 9th, 2005, 12:49 PM
I see great dane and mastiff in there as well.

I have a great dane, and must say that some of the attributes that are being called mastiff can also be called dane. But danes were created by crossing a mastiff with a greyhound, so that makes perfect sense doesn't it?

I agree with Lucky, that training is training, and that some breeds take "soft" training better than others. Still, I've seen stubborn danes and danes that just live to obey.

I would say to always start "soft" until you need anything else- with any breed.

Bless you for saving this beautiful pooch. Those eyes are heartmelters!

chico2
April 9th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Stella Grace is a sweethheart for sure,look at those big legs :p
As for this being a Canadian Forum,it's not the case....we are all animal-lovers,that is the only important qualification,it does not matter where you live.
Welcome to you and beautiful Stella Grace :grouphug:

StellaGrace
April 10th, 2005, 01:26 PM
I am still looking for suggestions as to what I should be feeding Stella. I bought Science Diet puppy food for big breeds but she doesn't like it and from what I see in the ingredients list now it doesn't look so great (or worth that high price tag). Anybody have a good reccommendation?

chico2
April 10th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Stella,Science Diet is not a high quality food,at least I do not think so....I believe we talked so much about how cute Stella is and what breed she might be,so your food-question got lost..
I have three cats,so I cannot give you an answer,but I am sure someone will help you .Also if you go to a reputable Pet-Food place,I am sure they can recommend something...it will probably cost more than Science Diet,which is not really on the high price list,but expensive if you look at the ingredients,not very good!
I am sure you want to give beautiful Stella the best you can afford.

Prin
April 10th, 2005, 04:31 PM
It all depends on your budget. There are some great higher range foods (I'm partial to Solid Gold because of the results I have had). It depends on what price category you are going to be in. Solid gold Wolf King is $67/33lbs now which is fairly expensive. I son't buy nutro but a lot of people here do so maybe someone else can tell you the price of that one..

DogueLover
April 11th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Just my two cents here..........
Our male Mastiff "Zarr" was raised on Nutro large breed formula ( Lamb and Rice). He won`t even look at any other food. We put both of the dogs on it and they are doing fantastic.
You can pick it up at Petcetera and I believe the 41 lb bag is around $50.00.
They make a large breed puppy formula as well.
I would suggest trying a small bag first so that you know if she likes it or not. No sense in having a huge bag of dog food your dog won`t eat.

Sometimes you can get the sample bags from the pet food stores as well, that way you would know if she likes it or not.

Hope this helps.

My sister`s danes like the Nutro Chicken and Rice so who knows.

I like the lamb and rice as it smells good even when they are slobbering it up............. kind of smells like shreddies cereal that has been left in the milk to get soggy,,,,,,, no bad puppy breath when my dogs eat LOL.

pollito
April 11th, 2005, 06:12 PM
she 's a beautiful girl, she probably does have great dane in her (look at those long legs) but maybe in a few months it will be much easier to tell what breed it is

happycats
April 11th, 2005, 06:21 PM
What a beautiful pup you have there!!
I use performatrin (pet value brand) for my cats it's great! other people on this board use it for thier dogs, and find it's a great dog food.

Copper'sMom
April 11th, 2005, 09:22 PM

No need to worry here!! Just like Doguelover said "It's easier for them to flop down for a nap!" My boy sits like this all of the time! And I just got a new pup and she sits the same way too!!

Stella is beautiful!! Lots of love and the proper training and she'll be the best companion for many years to come! :D

Welcome to the board! Stick around and please post LOTS of pics!!!!

Bearsmom
April 11th, 2005, 09:32 PM
I have Kaos (9 week old mastiff/rottweiler mix) on Nutrience Large Breed puppy. It does come in large chunks, so they need to chew it rather than wolf it down. He's doubled in size since we brought him home, and really loves the food.

Bear (now 5 yr old lab/mastiff/rottie mix) was on the Nutrience large breed puppy, but stopped using his back legs (the food was causing the bone to rapidly outgrow the muscles/tendons, thus causing him pain)...we're going to closely watch Kaos for this.

By the way, your puppy is beautiful. I just love them when they're all legs and ears.

jackieb
April 12th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Mastifflover would help you more but i know she injured her hand a while back

I had a english mastiff great dog very laid back and lazy but they can be trained his parents were in agility and crufts. We just had zac as a pet he was basic obident trained but he was stubborn.

He was a very lazy dog great with children and loved company hated being on his own

dovelady4
June 20th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Stella is gorgeous!! I have a mastiff/dane mix and we treat him like a dane, but he has the spindly legs of a dane. He's tall, not thick, but he has lots of loose skin like a mastiff too. The only thing that really shows he's a mastiff is his head. I'm glad you could save stella. She sure is a beauty! Good Luck!
p.s. I'm not Canadian either:usa: , but I could probably see it across the lake if I had a telescope:) This is a neat forum!

chico2
June 20th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Dovelady,the post about Stella is from 2005,if you do not get any replies that's probably why:laughing:
We are not an only Canadian forum,anybody in the world is welcome to join.
I did not check if you are new,but if you are,please introduce yourself and your probably beautiful pup in the introduction thread,ok!

hippen
November 6th, 2007, 11:17 PM
I have a great dane and mastiff mix. I feed him purina dog show. It gives him all the nutrients he needs being a big dog and he likes it. Plus it works for my other dog too. He is 16 months old and about 200 pounds.

duke k
November 25th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Bella, my greatdanemastiff, is looking for a friend of similar disposition and size. She's 3 and ready to take care of a puppy. Do you know any breeders? Where did you get yours? Is he happy and healthy?
duke