Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

need info on english bulldogs

Joey.E.CockersMommy
April 8th, 2005, 03:28 PM
The dog in question in this thread now has a happy home and that is all I care about right Now!!

Lucky Rescue
April 8th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Nice that you live in an area where 5 year old escape artists husky mixes can get adopted. They certainly can't here, or in any other places I know of. Have you called and checked to find out the fate of your dog? Is he dead or alive? Paying animal control people certainly won't assure him of being adopted. You should have found him a home yourself instead of sending him to sit alone, confused and frightened in a shelter.

The fact that you dumped him because he was escaping is NOT his fault, but your fault. You cannot get dogs and then dump them because you cannot/will not manage them, or keep them at home. How much attention and exercise did this dog get? How much time did he spend alone in the yard? The kids left the gate open, so this poor dog was exiled to a shelter as punishment?

Getting another dog is not the answer. The grass is not always greener on the other side. Good dogs are created by committment, training, attention and exercise. If you are not willing to do these things, please don't get another dog because you will be disappointed again and probably another dog will end it's days alone at the shelter.

As for English Bulldogs:

To get one from a highly reputable breeder will be at the very least 2500$ for a pet quality dog. This is due to the difficulty in breeding. Most of them cannot breed normally, nor can they deliver normally but must often have C-sections.

EBs from crappy breeders are riddled with health problems and will cost you a fortune unless you decide to get rid of it..

They are generally good with kids, but because of their extreme facial formation, they won't be running around and playing with them.

They are highly intolerant of both heat and cold and cannot walk any distance at all in either. In winter, they will need warm coats and boots in order to go outside at all.

Do not take them to dog parks. Like any bull breed, they can be aggressive to other dogs, and in a fight they will win.

They snore and slobber. They cannot be left out in the yard in heat or cold, and even EB's might leave if the gate is left open.

Please do not get another dog unless you are going to keep it for life, love it for what it is, and not blame it for your shortcomings as an owner.

Safyre
April 8th, 2005, 07:54 PM
You seem to have a lot of questions, and they are questions that you yourself, should have the answer for.Instead of asking:
Are they good with kids?
You should be saying: I want a dog that is good with kids. And use this in your search criteria.
Are they easy to train?
Instead " Iwant a dog that is easy to train"
You can determine how much time anda energy you want to put into a dog, and find one that suits.
I jsut feel that yuor question is a bit backwards. often people will set thier sghts on one dog, and bend the answers of the quetions to suit getting this breed.
There are tons of websties that you can get a compatibility test for dgos, and they will ask basically the same questions that you have, and you will be given a list, with percentages of which dogs best suit your lifestyle.
Then choose.

I agree with LuckyRescues concern that you got rid of a dog because you weren't able to care for it. In your defense I will say, Huskies NEED to run, and have been known to jump fences and run any way they can. HOWEVER, you should have known this before accepting your dog.

happycats
April 8th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Luckyrescue, very well put !!
Pets are not supposed to be disposable! And you should think long and hard before getting another. and as another member here says...............research research research, pets are FOREVER! (hope you don't mind me using it Prin)
If you can't promise them forever, please don't get one!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
April 8th, 2005, 10:41 PM
We did what we had to do. The dog had three owners before us and I did walk him everyday.I am not the first person to give away a husky or a dog for that matter. The decision was not easy by the way I did walk him for 45 minutes at least 5 times a week, I want him to have a better life and a much bigger yard. The dog control said they would find him a home and we paid extra money to make sure. So no I never wanted it to happen but it did. None of you know our situation and you don't live in my house so dont accuse me of not taking care of my pet. Personally I feel we did the right thing. Perhaps there is someone out there that has gone through this situation that can be more supportive!

mesaana
April 8th, 2005, 10:59 PM
What you have to understand, is that a large number of us on this board are involved in rescue. We're the ones who pick up the mess. We're the ones who look at these poor pets being abandoned crying for their owners, confused, lost... We're the ones who try to save the ones that end up in shelters or animal control because people made bad choices and got an animal without being ready to commit for the lifetime of the animal. How is saying that your dog was already kicked out of 3 families supposed to make us more accepting of your situation? A little extra money to animal control does not impress us. We spend a lot of our own money to help homeless animals. Oh, and walking a dog 45 minutes 5 times a week? For an active breed, that's way too little.

Lyne

Lucky Rescue
April 9th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Have you called and checked to find out the fate of your dog? Is he dead or alive?

Kicked out of 4 homes. How sad.

And what will happen if the next dog does something you don't like?

I am not the first person to give away a husky or a dog for that matter.

That's the truth, and that's why Petfinder has over 100,000 homeless dogs listed, and why the freezers and barrels of every AC and shelter are overflowing with dead bodies of discarded pets.

glasslass
April 9th, 2005, 01:30 AM
This is really sad. I feel so sorry for this dog. It's so easy to just pay for the problem to go away and for someone else to take the responsibility. All for just being a dog! Sad!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
April 9th, 2005, 11:59 PM
This is not fair, I want my dog to have a good home and nothing less. We were assured by the dog control that the extra cost would assure he would not be put down why should I not believe that. I miss him everyday and thought that the escaping would not be as much as in issue as it had become the dog was not a danger to to other dogs or to humans but to himself I was terrified that he was going to be hit by a car or shot by someone on a nearby farm. What if that had happened then what kind of dog owner would I be. I have disciplined my kids for letting him out but they are kids and they dont always remember
I would love to have my dog back and so would my oldest son, this decision has been hard. By the way if any one wants to adopt him if he is not already he lives in BC Canada is 7 years old he is good with most other dogs not except other large males he poops only on one side of the yard and will respond to most commands in an enclosed area, he hates cats and will go after them if given a chance.

Lucky Rescue
April 10th, 2005, 11:05 AM
I'm very sorry to repeat myself, but extra pay to AC is NOT going to get a home for a 7 year old husky mix who is a 4 time loser. That would truly be a miracle. For his sake, I hope there is one.

Where is he, exactly? ("BC" is a little vague - can you narrow it down?) Is he listed on Petfinder? Is he alive? Is this a kill shelter, or will he spend years rotting in a kennel?

Maybe someone reading this will be filled with pity enough to take him.

Prin
April 10th, 2005, 05:37 PM
So the dog had 3 owners and you thought with small kids and "I did walk him for 45 minutes at least 5 times a week" was enough? Our dog (husky mix) had 5 owners before and we took her because we knew she was trouble and she needed HER needs to be met. That means an average of 3 HOURS of RUNNING every day. Not walking. You didn't research and now you want another one?

"Sorry I don't like the green sweater, can I exchange it for the black one?" Saying that here about dogs, when most of us regard dogs as people, is not a good idea.

Get a friggin goldfish. They don't live long and they won't run away or need training or time. Don't get another dog that you will just find something wrong with and dump again.

mona_b
April 10th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Its a trait of the breed and difficult to break.

I have to disagree on this.My sister owns 3 beautiful Huskies.One from a reputable breeder,the other 2 are brother and sister rescues.My sister and BIL put all their time and effort to train them.And so did the kids.Yes the kids helped too.45 minutes by all means is NOT enough exercise for this breed.They are great on and off the leash.They live ona farm and have tons of room.BUT,they have never once tried to leave the property.And they have no problems taking them into town on a leash,along with their Border Collie.

I have to agree with everyones responses.I feel so very bad for this dog.Do you honestly think that just because you gave them extra money that they would find him a good home and not put him down?Come on,lets get real here.Sounds to me that you didn't put the effort into training him.Did you take him to obedience classes?

Sorry,but I just can't stand hearing things like this. :sad: :(

Lucky Rescue
April 10th, 2005, 06:35 PM
I have had enough of all of you!!!!

That goes both ways. We really have no use for irresponsible, negligent and heartless people who dump a 7 year old dog at the shelter because they are too lazy to train and manage them. Even you say "Not his fault". So it's your fault, but he has to pay, probably with his life? Shame on you.

I guess you won't answer my question about if you ever bothered calling to see how he is, or if he is still alive. That is answer enough.

Dumped the poor dog on Tuesday and looking for a new one on Friday? How sympathetic you are - obviously heartbroken. Out with the old and in the with the new? I pity any dog you get. I've seen many people like you who keep aquiring and dumping pets over and over - looking for the perfect pet who will train and care for itself.

Don't let hubby catch you here again. Good bye.

Safyre
April 10th, 2005, 08:11 PM
It's really sad to see that no one felt that they had to answer the posters original question. :yuck:

Prin
April 10th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Safyre-- There are plenty of answers about bulldogs above. But when you get down to it, she's not going to research anyway. This is not the type of person who will think things through rationally-- which is why she shouldn't have gotten a dog in the first place. She thinks dogs are interchangeable and returnable. No one is impressed by someone like that.

Safyre
April 10th, 2005, 08:19 PM
There is ONE answer about bulldogs. thats it. and it was within a msg telling her what a bad person she was for getting rid of a dog that she was unable to handle.

Lucky Rescue
April 10th, 2005, 10:45 PM
It's really sad to see that no one felt that they had to answer the posters original question

What is really "sad" is someone dumping a dog at a shelter and then shopping for a newer, improved model a few days later.

Anyone who cared the least bit about her pet would have found a new home on her own, with someone who could give the dog what it needs and not send it to sit alone and frightened at AC for no reason other than that gates could not be kept closed. And why will the gates suddenly be kept closed when the new dog arrives??

Sorry, I have way more sympathy for the poor dog, 7 years old and dumped 4 times. :yuck:

This is not Google, where you get information with no comment, although I did give her all the info I know.

Safyre
April 11th, 2005, 12:21 AM
I stick by my original comment. if its not liked, well, whats new.

Cactus Flower
April 11th, 2005, 04:16 AM
Safyre wrote: You seem to have a lot of questions, and they are questions that you yourself, should have the answer for.

I'm sorry Safyre, but did I miss you answering the poster's questions about bulldogs?

happycats
April 11th, 2005, 08:01 AM
[QUOTE=Safyre]I agree with LuckyRescues concern that you got rid of a dog because you weren't able to care for it. [QUOTE]

I don't get it? One minute you agree, the next your against it :confused:

psiharis
April 11th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Not that I disagree with the principles you're all talking about, but as a newcomer it makes me nervous to see so much anger and judgement flying.

I'm an animal rescuer too - and have hung in there with animals that were inconvenient, expensive, heart-breaking and changed my life forever. And I've met many people that just don't view animals the way I do - as sentient beings deserving of love, care and respect, even free will choice if that can be discerned. But I've also seen that getting angry and alienating those who don't see it the way I do doesn't do a thing to educate or raise consciousness. We have to try harder to educate rather than blame when people ask for advice.

I hope when I have an unpopular or even ignorant question, which I expect I will eventually, you all will try to help me see rather than blast me.

raingirl
April 11th, 2005, 10:00 AM
in case the OP comes back, based on your questions, an English Bulldog would not be good for your situation. I have one, so trust me.

Are they good with kids?

They can be, but not always. Depends on their temperment and past. Mine was probably from a bad breeder, and taken away from his mom too early. He has problems with bite inhibition and although he doesn't bite hard, he will try and nip for attention. This is something we are working on, but may never be resolved fully.

Are they easy to train?

Again, depends on if you get him as a puppy. If you do, then they can be, but they are stubborn as heck! Mine had little training as a puppy, so now that he was given up at a shelter and we have him, trying to break his habbits is maddening.

Can they handly temps of -10-30C in the winter and 30 - 40C in the summer

NO! They are indoor dogs who need heat in the winter, and AC in the summer. It's only about 15C outside during the day and my dog already gets a little overheated on very short walks just to pee/poop.

Can they be off a leash in a dog park

Depends. If you mean a fenced in park specifically for off leash dogs, or just walking in a park? Mine is ok at the dog park, but we have to watch him like a hawk. With large dogs he is ok. Small ones freak him out as a couple have bit him before. If they are quiet he is ok. If someone barks, he wants to play, and he doesn't know his own strength, so we have to make she he is playing nice. We got to know a few owners and dogs who we trust now, so it is better, but generally we only go once a week to a dog park. We let him off leash only if there are two of us, and there are no people around because our dog loves to run at anyone and meet them. As soon as we see people or animals, we pick up his leash.

How far and long can they walk without getting tired. Can they run or walk fast if so for how far and how long.

during the day in heat or cold, not far at all. In the winter most of the time it's just out quick for pee/poop and that's it. Now that spring is here, longer walks are for morning and night only, during the day pee/poop only. Our dog gets tired after about 10-30 minutes of walking. But he is still young. Our dog can run, for only about 10 feet, then gets tired. The only exception is if he is really excited about something then he may run longer. Any longer than a few minutes could kill them though if they over heat. They are also prone to dehydration easily, as they pant a lot and slobber a lot, and their airways dry out, so you always have to have water on you.

How much are their medical bills per month/year

We spend $20 a month on pet insurance, but he came with eye problems already that pet insurance won't cover (pre-existing) and they have cost us about $400 in the last 2 months since we got him. He needs surgery on his eyes that costs $700 that we are saving up for. Bulldogs have a lot of ear, eye, nose and throat problems. As well, they almost always all have allergies to food and the environment, need special food and shampoos. Our dog has a funny tail that covers his bum, so we need to wipe his bum each time after he poops.

Are they hyper or mellow (I hear mellow from what I have read but I have to ask.

Both. They go in spurts. Mine will sleep most of the day and night, but get extremely hyper at points in the day. He is a lean and muscular bulldog compared to others you see in pictures. He is agile and we are considering training him for agility. When he is hyper I can him a devil dog as he will run back and forth across the living room and get so fast he will fall and roll over and start running again.

Can they go up and down stairs or are they more suited to level ground

More suited to level ground. My dog hates stairs, and because they are so heavy for their size, lots of stairs are bad for them.

What is the best and worst of owning a bulldog

Best-they are silly and make you laugh all the time. Everyone stops to take a look and pet them. THey sleep with their tongues out. They are ugly and cute at the same time.

Worst-stubborness!!! medical bills, allergies. Despite that, we still love our dog.

Here is out cutie:

Lucky Rescue
April 11th, 2005, 10:11 AM
psiharis, I agree education is a great thing.

What would your advice or answer be in this particular case?

Safyre
April 11th, 2005, 11:14 AM
If someone is going to quote me, please quote my entire sentence relevant to your argument, not only the part that looks to help you. Thanks! :thumbs up
Yes, I agreed with LuckyRecuses concerns as stated in her/his original response.
What I don't agree with is everyone jumping on the band wagon to lecture this person instead of helping them.

I answered the OP to the best of my ability. I do not know much about the Bulldog breed, however, I feel it is a bad idea to find a breed you like, THEN ask questions about it. I feel that is backwards, and that was my answer to the OP.
After seeing that only one person, LR, bothered to answer them in regards to bulldogs, I PM'd the person, with the limited bulldog information that I know. I probably wasn't much of a help, but then again, neither were you guys. (with the exception of RainGirl)

happycats
April 11th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Oh safyre lighten up! :p The band wagon you refer to are the people who are more concerned about the fate of this poor 7year old dumped dog then with helping this person aquire a new dog to dump!
Raingirl did a great job answering the OP's questions!
Unfortunately OP did not answer any of LR's questions, about the status of poor Timber. :sad:

Lizzie
April 11th, 2005, 12:28 PM
LR answered her questions anyways. I don't see the problem.

The only problem I see is that the OP kept thinking it was that the dog was poorly trained when really it was her kids that were poorly trained :thumbs up

Safyre
April 11th, 2005, 04:48 PM
perhaps the concern should be that your assumptions of people are not always right.

Prin
April 11th, 2005, 05:15 PM
What assumptions? The OP was clear in that she got rid of a dog for a not-so-good reason and wanted another one less than a week later. It's just an exchange of goods for her. Where are the assumptions?

People act the way they do here because if a person gets rid of a dog, it goes to Lucky and all the other rescue people here. Why would you want that person to have another?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
April 11th, 2005, 06:15 PM
First off I admit my mistake in getting my dog in the first place, we obviously did not reseach enough I thought we would be a good family for him and we were not. I will pass on this advice to anyone thinking of getting a husky or malamute and hope that this situation can be avoided in the future.

I never said I wanted another dog in a week, month or even a year. I was only inquiring about a certain breed and I do intend to research long and hard. I do not honestly think I can have a dog right now but that decison is not forever and I do believe there is a breed or mixed breed that would be better suited for us when we are ready to take on the responsibility.
Except for the few that did not attack me personally on this thread. I have this to say.
I did not dispose of my dog, I did not dump him on the side of the rode, nor not claim him at all when he got out, the fact is the dog control have more resources to find a home for my dog than I do.
My kids are 4 and 7 and they make mistakes just as your kids do
It is so easy for all of you to judge me. Unless you know the whole story which you do not. You only assume that I just did not want my dog one day and went about my life as if nothing happened.This is not true!

It must be nice that you are all so fortunate that you have never been in this situation before. IF you ever are I would suggest keeping it to yourselves because no one will understand especially here, even if getting a new home is for the benefit and safety of of the pet.

The fact that you consider this forum a place to attack when you see something that you think is wrong makes me wonder what kind of people you are animal lovers or not. You probably wouldn't teach this to your kids but look at what you are doing. I may have given away my dog but I would never treat another person this way, even on the internet except for defending myself on this thread

Lastly you may have felt it neccessary to put your two cents in here but you should ask your selfs what you were actually trying to accomplish by being so hostile.

dogless in BC

Lucky Rescue
April 11th, 2005, 06:19 PM
We recently and sadly gave away our malamute husky cross after 5 years. Not his fault but he was constantly escaping or being let out accidently by my kids.

This dog was dumped at a shelter because his owners couldn't be bothered keeping him at home and assume a new dog will be better.

They could have gotten a gate that slams and latches automatically. They could have raised the fence. They could have built a kennel. They could have hot wired the fence......

What exactly are the "assumptions" being made, please safyre? I would like to know precisely.

And while I'm at it, I still have gotten no answer from psiharis about the educational advice and/or reply (s)he would have given...???

Easy to criticize while offering nothing constructive or educational yourself.

p.s. Is Timber still alive? I don't see him listed on the Vernon SPCA site. Unlike his owners, I do care and was trying to find him to post his plight on a BC board and try and get him a responsible and permanent home.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
April 11th, 2005, 07:20 PM
This dog was dumped at a shelter because his owners couldn't be bothered keeping him at home and assume a new dog will be better.

They could have gotten a gate that slams and latches automatically. They could have raised the fence. They could have built a kennel. They could have hot wired the fence......the gate was locked with a bungee cord, our fence is 6 feet high and we cannot afford the electric fence, our front entrance in our house was gated and his crate was there,

What exactly are the "assumptions" being made, please safyre? I would like to know precisely.

And while I'm at it, I still have gotten no answer from psiharis about the educational advice and/or reply (s)he would have given...???

Easy to criticize while offering nothing constructive or educational yourself.

p.s. Is Timber still alive? I don't see him listed on the Vernon SPCA site. Unlike his owners, I do care and was trying to find him to post his plight on a BC board and try and get him a responsible and permanent home.

I have contacted the dog control and yes he does have a home on a farm about 45 minutes from here.

BMDLuver
April 11th, 2005, 07:26 PM
I'm glad you checked back with them and verified he'd found a home. I hope he finds a great life there.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
April 11th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Timber is alive and has gone to farm about 45 minutes from here, so I did actually care enough to find out what happen to him.
I am actually surprised that the Vernon SPCA had so few dogs on their site.
Last time I went there every cage had a dog in it.
Despite what you all think of me I feel that I did the right thing and I am happy that my dog has a more suitable home.

Safyre
April 11th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Great to hear that he got adopted and is on a farm. I truly beleive huskies in the city are a bad idea.
LuckyRescue - I am not here to argue, only state my opinion. It has been stated, and does not need to be argued over. Finish each day and be done with it.

Lucky Rescue
April 11th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Finish each day and be done with it

Thank you for that advice. I'll keep it in mind.