Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

concerned

chico2
April 8th, 2005, 09:20 AM
A friend of my son,got a "Snowball Siamese"kitten,now 8 month old,never heard of Snowball meezer..a new designer breed????
The reason I am concerned,I have heard from more and more catowners,the friend included,that while you book s/n with the vet,the vet will suggest declawing while the cat is under :mad:
The 3 people I've heard from declined,since they feel the way I do,but I am concerned about the owners who know nothing about this cruel practise and just say,Ok go ahead!
It makes me wonder why these vets chose this proffession,they certainly do not have the cats wellfare in mind.

BMDLuver
April 8th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Sounds like the vet has their pocket book in mind. That's ludicrous to offer that upfront. :mad:

chico2
April 8th, 2005, 09:44 AM
The fact this particular vet,who spayed the friends Meezer,also gave her her shots,meds for earmites all at the same time at the cost of $400 also made me suggest he looks for a new vet,which he will..
I wish someone would take up the declawing cruelty,make it known to the public,make more people aware of the harm done to their pet.... :sad:
I am not trying to bring up the declawing debate again,it's been debated to death :D I was just surprised at these vets,my vet would never recommend declawing(at least not to me!)

Eleni
April 8th, 2005, 09:48 AM
wow, my vet only declaws at our request, [wich we dont] and i never heard of all the shots etc happening at the same time as the spay/neuter, my vet gets the shots out of the way first and then spays or neuters before the pet matures.

all of my pets have been fixed by the time they hit 5 months for my own peice of mind.

id say another vet is in order for that situation

Eleni

Princesss04
April 8th, 2005, 10:13 AM
That is awful Chico. Sounds like all he wants is the extra money. :mad: It is so sad that these people go to the vet and trust what they say and the vet does not even have the animals best interest at heart. :mad:

Lucky Rescue
April 8th, 2005, 10:58 AM
The vets I know are very much against this. However there is one vet in downtown Montreal who has a sign in the office, offering clients a "package deal" of s/n and declaw.
Many unknowledgeable people think this sounds great, and of course it's a money grab for the vet, who should be trying to talk people OUT of it, not making it even easier for them by offering financial benefits to mutilating an animal.

But even that pales in comparison to a vet who will declaw and leave a cat intact. Can't get much more unethical than that. :mad:

krdahmer
April 8th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Wow, Chico, that's awful. My vet here will not declaw at all, (unless of course the owner puts up a big enough stink :rolleyes: ). I can't believe a vet would actually suggest it! :yuck:

krdahmer
April 8th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Wow, Chico, that's awful. My vet here will not declaw at all, (unless of course the owner puts up a big enough stink :rolleyes: ). I can't believe a vet would actually suggest it! :yuck: Oh and $400!!! :eek: Holy carp! Even with the shots and spay and all, Fagan's visit was only $130!

Shamrock
April 8th, 2005, 04:19 PM
How terrible! I've heard of this before, Chico, offering it along with the s/n...but I think most vets would find this very unethical.

At one time cigarettes were offered for less if you bought two packs - theoretically encouraging people to buy more, smoke more... get "a deal"
This is no longer permitted.
This declaw 'special" should be illegal to offer to clients who may not have otherwise considered it.
If they hadnt considered it, unlikely they would have researched it :sad: .

chico2
April 8th, 2005, 04:55 PM
I've heard of this before,a s/n declaw combo and it just makes me ill :sad:
My older vet,whom I loved,but who has gone back to Scotland,refused to de-claw,would recommend the client sees another vet.
But I have an iffy feeling about the vets who bought her clinic,I am not fully comfortable and I will look for anoher vet.We have vets in every streetcorner here in Oakville,lots of competition.

Cactus Flower
April 8th, 2005, 08:27 PM
They still do that here, Shamrock. A lot of brands are cheaper if you buy two packs of cigarettes, and still others offer buy one get one free, or buy two get one free......

About this vet....the sarcastic side of me suggests you ask him how well he could do these surgeries with the last digit of every finger cut off....

Grrr!

Karin
April 8th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Sadly, most vet's here offer the same. The selling point is using anesthesia only once for two procedures.