Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When is a dog a pit bull, even if it isn't?

Lucky Rescue
April 7th, 2005, 05:39 PM
When it "charges" someone, that's when! Even after the owner clearly stated his gunned-down dog was a $2000 Old English Bulldog, this report STILL referred to it as a "pit bull".

Also another good illustration about why not to leave your dog outside.

--------------------------------------------------------
By Chris Gautz -- Daily Telegram Staff Writer

ADRIAN -- An Adrian police officer shot and killed what he believed to be a pit bull after it bared its teeth and lunged at the officer's groin Thursday afternoon.

While chasing a suspect who had fled on foot from a traffic stop, Officer Vince Emrick found himself in the back yard of a home at 1136 E. Maumee St. when he realized he was not alone, according to the police report.

The dog actually was an Old English bulldog, according to owner Troy McGowan.

"He probably weighed 67 pounds the last time I had him weighed," McGowan said, adding that he had paid "almost $2,000" for the pet. "He stood 18 or 20 inches high at the most."

"It's an extremely unfortunate incident all around," Adrian Deputy Police Chief Terry Collins said. "I'm convinced the officer had no viable alternative, but to do what he did."

At about 3:15 p.m. the Lenawee County Sheriff's Department made a traffic stop on Dean Street, near Erie Street, when a young Hispanic male fled from the scene.

The APD was called to assist on the foot pursuit and about eight law enforcement officials from both departments joined in the chase, Collins said.

The chase led Emrick, who has served with the APD for four years, to the back yard of the East Maumee Street home. It was there he noticed the brown and white male pit bull growling and baring its teeth. Emrick drew his weapon and began to back away, but was in the middle of the yard and realized he would not have time to get over the fence, Collins said.

"I don't think he had any other choice," Collins said. "I was thoroughly satisfied with the way the officer handled himself."

A second large and aggressive dog in a fenced-in area behind Emrick then began to bark, the report stated. Emrick noted in his report that he didn't know the second dog was there until it started barking, and said it was trying to climb over the fence to get to him.

The barking of the dog that was behind the fence seemed to trigger the pit bull to attack, the report noted. The pit bull then bared its teeth again and charged at the officer.

Emrick fired a single shot into the dog's head, killing it instantly.

In his report, Emrick noted that the dog was less than a foot from the muzzle of his .45-caliber Smith & Wesson when he fired it.

Emrick then jumped over the fence to continue the pursuit of the suspect and to get away from the second dog. The suspect was no longer visible by the time he was over the fence, however.

Lt. Cletus Smith of the Lenawee County Sheriff's Department said the suspect has yet to be apprehended. A positive identification of the suspect has been made and authorities are seeking a warrant for his arrest.

McGowan arrived on the scene after the shooting and was visibly upset and began screaming after he saw his dog lying in the yard, according to the report.

The officers removed the dog from the yard and disposed of it.

Collins said both he and Emrick feel sympathy for the owner of the dog, because it had to be put down.

Emrick's weapon was secured until an investigation of the incident was completed later that evening, Collins said. His weapon was returned to him the next morning and he was back to work.

seeker
April 7th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Our furure as citizens of Ontario ?

Copper'sMom
April 8th, 2005, 08:41 AM
What the hell do you expect the dog to do when you are tresspassing in HIS backyard?? Not to mention, the element of surprise for the poor dog! Stand up and be a man -- if this guy wasn't a cop, who is ALLOWED to carry a gun, what would he have done then for self defense?? It probably wouldn't have resulted in MURDER!! :mad: I would go ballistic if this happened to me!