Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When can I leave Belle and Shadow alone together?

SarahLynn123
April 7th, 2005, 12:04 PM
RIght now we have Shadow in the kitchen with her beds and Belle in the living room. They are separated by 2 baby gates, one on top of the other. I had been leaving them for an hour or 2 here and there for the last couple days so Shadow would get used to it, and It was going fine. I got home from work yesterday, they had been there alone separated for about 4-5 hours. Shadow had ripped down the blinds, peed on her bed, opened the garbage (In the first few hours we had her she figured out how to put her foot on the step to open the garbage can lid :evil: ) threw garbage all over the floor, barelled through the top baby gate and over the bottom to be with Belle. They were fine when we got home, tails wagging. They get along quite well. I separated them again today and gave them each a kong again. Would they be OK together or should I continue separating them. We have only had Shadow since saturday morning. Or is there anything else I can do?
Thanks
Sarah

Lucky Rescue
April 7th, 2005, 01:12 PM
You are giving Shadow way too much freedom way too soon. Her rampage in your home shows this. She is probably overwhelmed and anxious.

Also, it's not a good precedent to give her as many privileges so soon as your resident dog has and could cause friction and resentment. It's not fair to Belle.

I would keep her confined to one room for now. Keep her on a strict schedule for walks, feeding, etc. to give her confidence. Give your other dog whatever freedom she has always had.

Let Shadow realize the house belongs to you and then to Belle, and let her gradually earn her freedom and other privileges.

SarahLynn123
April 7th, 2005, 01:41 PM
You are giving Shadow way too much freedom way too soon. Her rampage in your home shows this. She is probably overwhelmed and anxious.

Also, it's not a good precedent to give her as many privileges so soon as your resident dog has and could cause friction and resentment. It's not fair to Belle.

I would keep her confined to one room for now. Keep her on a strict schedule for walks, feeding, etc. to give her confidence. Give your other dog whatever freedom she has always had.

Let Shadow realize the house belongs to you and then to Belle, and let her gradually earn her freedom and other privileges.

I have her only in the kitchen. The way my house is set up it when I block that one opening it Gives Shadow the kitchen and Belle the rest of the house. Belle has food and water upstairs that she always eats and drinks so I dont think she was ever in the kitchen unless we are home. Im worried that if I put her (Shadow) in a bedroom upstairs, it may be a bit hot for her during the day, and its all carpeted. (Getting her urination problem under control at the moment) The basement would work but its unfinished and full of unused furniture and shes a little unsteady on the stairs so is afraid to go down. I cant think of where else I can have her. The schedule is something we need to work on for sure. Every sinse we got her from the humane society shes been in and out of the vets, and bathed, plus I took a couple days off to spend with her so now we are getting into the routine.
If I should change something or do something differently please let me know. Ill have a look around at lunch and see where else I can put her during the day.
Thanks
Sarah

Trinitie
April 7th, 2005, 01:43 PM
We have only had Shadow since saturday morning.How old is Shadow?

SarahLynn123
April 7th, 2005, 01:46 PM
How old is Shadow?

8 Year old German Shephard X

Trinitie
April 7th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Oh, I was thinking "puppy". But LR is right. As a newcommer in your home, the new dog must learn the rules. The rules are very simple.
1. You're the boss (top dog / alpha)
2. Your first "born" is the second in charge
3. Freedom is earned, not given freely.

A kennel may be in order for this dog until it learns the new rules. Peeing on the bed, tearing through the garbage is natural to do when the rules aren't defined and too much freedom is given. As the dog settles in, she'll learn how things are. It seems like there are too many things for her to get into in the kitchen, so I wouldn't leave her there.

SarahLynn123
April 7th, 2005, 02:51 PM
I went home at lunch and she didn't destroy a thing, but she did bust through the gates. We have decided to keep her in the basement. Possibly building her a kennel type area where she can stay until we get home. The humane society had to pad lock her kennel because she can get out of everything, and can unlock the locks that dont require keys :evil: . She is quite smart. So off to get building supplies!
Thanks for your help
Sarah

Prin
April 7th, 2005, 06:57 PM
How are they together? Is there any aggression at all? (Growling, dominant behavior, possessive etc) Are they allowed together all the time when you are home? I didn't hesitate to leave Jemma and Boo alone together. Boo was so passive that I wasn't worried anything would go wrong. I would advise keeping Shadow blocked off until you trust her more and she respects you (nearly) completely.

SarahLynn123
April 8th, 2005, 09:38 AM
How are they together? Is there any aggression at all? (Growling, dominant behavior, possessive etc) Are they allowed together all the time when you are home? I didn't hesitate to leave Jemma and Boo alone together. Boo was so passive that I wasn't worried anything would go wrong. I would advise keeping Shadow blocked off until you trust her more and she respects you (nearly) completely.

They are always together when we are around. There hasn't been any major problems. Belle got upset when I was petting her and Shadow came to close but that was the day we brought her home. Other then that no problems. Belle is very possesive over toys but Shadow doesn't seem to care, she lets Belle have them all. (I dont allow that. They each have their toys) I wouldnt let them have toys when we are not around knowing Belle! Our weekend project is going to be setting up a nice comfy area for Shadow to hang out in while we are at work. Im pretty sure they would be fine, but Im not positive so better safe then sorry!
Thanks
Sarah

Dukieboy
April 8th, 2005, 09:58 AM
I crate Wizard and Duke has the run of the main floor and one of the upstairs bedrooms. I would always rather be safe than sorry. I tried giving Wizard the front bedroom but I think he likes his crate better. That way he can see Duke and I think that relaxes him. The one day I put him in the room he must have been really anxious because he either scratched or bit a hole in the very bottom of the door. When I am home they play wonderfully together but the occassional "settle" and "leave it or him" is required.

SarahLynn123
April 8th, 2005, 11:03 AM
When I am home they play wonderfully together but the occassional "settle" and "leave it or him" is required.

'Settle' is required at our house aswell. Shadow gets so excited and sometimes she wants to play and Belle wants no part of that. So I guess keeping them separate is the safest! I was hoping if she could see Belle she would be fine. Nope wanted to be with her!
Thanks
Sarah