Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Royal Canin Urinary SO

SarahLynn123
April 7th, 2005, 08:55 AM
This is the type of food my new dog Shadow is on. It says on the feeding instructions not recommended to mix canned with dry. Whats that suppose to mean and why? Do they mean in the same bowl, or at the same feeding time, or pick one or the other for example always feed dry or always feed canned?
Thanks!
Sarah

Trinitie
April 7th, 2005, 10:17 AM
I think they mean mixed together in the bowl. I'm not sure why they would do that though. Some dogs will only eat their food when it's mixed - it seems to add a little something to the flavor for them.

But, as a side note, Royal Canin is super food.

SarahLynn123
April 7th, 2005, 10:24 AM
I think they mean mixed together in the bowl. I'm not sure why they would do that though. Some dogs will only eat their food when it's mixed - it seems to add a little something to the flavor for them.

But, as a side note, Royal Canin is super food.

So it should be OK if I mix it then. The vet said I could put Belle on it aswell so Im not running around buying different food for each dog! Im glad to hear its good food.
Thanks
Sarah

Trinitie
April 7th, 2005, 10:41 AM
You may want to ask your vet if there are any adverse reactions, they know of, to mixing wet and dry together in the same bowl, but I wouldn't think so.

Royal Canin may think thier dog food so good (nutritionally speaking) that it doesn't "need" to be mixed. I think some dogs do perfer it though.

Anybody else out there want to chime in about this topic?

Loraxp
April 7th, 2005, 12:33 PM
This is the type of food my cat Orchid is on (see thread "High Cholesterol Kitty).... but of course the feline sort.
I read the bag throughly and it says NOTHING about not mixing the wet with the dry... I thought that might be why Orchid's cholesterol is high, as I always mix hers together. There is a phone number on the bag though for inquiries: #1-800-527-2673. It would be interesting to hear what Royal Canin has to say about it :confused: .

SarahLynn123
April 7th, 2005, 12:51 PM
This is the type of food my cat Orchid is on (see thread "High Cholesterol Kitty).... but of course the feline sort.
I read the bag throughly and it says NOTHING about not mixing the wet with the dry... I thought that might be why Orchid's cholesterol is high, as I always mix hers together. There is a phone number on the bag though for inquiries: #1-800-527-2673. It would be interesting to hear what Royal Canin has to say about it :confused: .

I read your post this morning and thats how I remembered what I wanted to ask!!! I got a feeding guide from my vet. A piece of paper photo copied from a book of theirs. It said on the top not recommend to mix. I asked them for a feeding guide because all it said on the can was 'see your vet for feeding instructions' the receptionist (possible vet tech) said 'just mix this much canned with this much dry' and when I got home I read the paper and on the top it said not to. :confused: so I came here. I will call them and see what they say, thanks for the number. Hopefully they can clear this up.
thanks again
Sarah

Loraxp
April 7th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Please let me know what they have to say!!
Thanks!!

SarahLynn123
April 8th, 2005, 08:28 AM
I called and they said they cant answer any questions regarding this diet. I have to ask my vet then they can speak to their representative so everyones in the loop. Its their new policy as of Feb. So I guess I will call my vet when they open
Thanks
Sarah

Prin
April 8th, 2005, 11:39 AM
WATER, MEAT BY-PRODUCTS, CORN GRITS, CHICKEN BY-PRODUCTS, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITH BHA/BHT), TRACE MINERALS (SODIUM TRIPOLYPHOSPHATE, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, CALCIUM SULFATE, CALCIUM CARBONATE, MAGNESIUM OXIDE, FERROUS SULFATE, ZINC SULFATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, COPPER SULFATE, CALCIUM IODATE), SALT, POWDERED CELLULOSE, DRIED EGG PRODUCT, VEGETABLE OIL, NATURAL FLAVOR, GUAR GUM, DL-METHIONINE, TAURINE*, CAROB GUM, VITAMINS (DL-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE, CHOLINE CHLORIDE, VITAMIN A ACETATE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], BIOTIN, D-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, NIACIN, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT [VITAMIN B2], VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE [VITAMIN B6], VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT, FOLIC ACID, SELENIUM), CARRAGEENAN.

Not too tasty. My opinion is, the reason why you can't mix canned with dry in this case is because there is a very delicate, specific balance of nutrients in this food and if you violate that, it defeats the purpose of feeding it.

Go here to see the full info on the food you got (SO) (pdf)
Royal Canin SO (http://www.walthamusa.com/Learning%20Center/pdf/SO13.pdf)

SarahLynn123
April 8th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the web page it! I read through it and its quite interesting but like you said the ingredients dont look all that good. In 3 months she goes in for another urinary test and the vet will decide then if she can switch to a regular food. Hopefully that will be the cse and I will get her a higher quality food and the crystals wont come back.
There is always hope!
Thanks Again
Sarah

Prin
April 8th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Also, I don't know if I read it wrong, but this food is supposedly only for temporary use...

SarahLynn123
April 8th, 2005, 12:14 PM
I didnt see that, but I just skimmed through. Im not sure how long shes been on the food, probably since february when she was brought in to the humane society. So hopefully we can change her diet in about 3 months time depending on her next test. Ill read the web page to make sure we aren't doing anything wrong.
Thanks
Sarah

Trinitie
April 8th, 2005, 12:59 PM
I stand corrected. I didn't know that Royal Canin was that bad. That ingredient list appears to be from a can of food rather than a bag of dry. Is there anything better about the dry? I've personally never been one for wet food comparison, as I'm not quite sure what constitutes a "good" can of food.

Please, if anybody can enlighten me, please do so!!

Loraxp
April 8th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Ingredients on the cat dry bag are:
Chicken meal, rice, corn gluten meal, ground corn, chicken fat, natural flavours, cellulose powder, sodium chloride, dried brewers yeast, dried egg powder, potassium chloride, calcium sulfate, monosodium phosphate choline chloride, calcium carbonate, taurine etc, etc....

The list goes on and on...

Regarding the comment about not mixing them because they are both carefully balanced... that does not make sence to me. They are both the same brand, both created and balanced to do the same function... how would this be thrown off by mixing wet and dry?... perhaps my brain is in siesta mode, but I don't get it :rolleyes: .

later :)

Prin
April 8th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Here-- it wasn't clear that it was can on the page (I was wondering about the water)-- here's the dry (it's not as bad- still tons of corn but no by-products at least):
RICE, GROUND CORN, CHICKEN FAT, CHICKEN MEAL, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, NATURAL FLAVORS, DRIED EGG POWDER, SODIUM CHLORIDE, CELLULOSE POWDER, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, CHOLINE CHLORIDE, CALCIUM CARBONATE, CALCIUM SULFATE, TAURINE*, VITAMINS [DL-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE (SOURCE OF VITAMIN E), BIOTIN, D-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, NIACIN, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), VITAMIN A ACETATE, VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, THIAMINE MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT, RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID], TRACE MINERALS [ZINC OXIDE, FERROUS SULFATE, COPPER SULFATE, MANGANOUS OXIDE, SODIUM SELENITE, CALCIUM IODATE], PRESERVED WITH NATURAL MIXED TOCOPHEROLS, ROSEMARY EXTRACT, AND CITRIC ACID.

I'll try to figure out the can stuff for you Trinitie

Prin
April 8th, 2005, 03:53 PM
See the difference:

This one is Solid Gold's Turkey and Ocean Fish canned dog food:
Turkey | Turkey Broth | Turkey Liver | Ocean Fish | Carrots | Brown Rice | Sweet Potato | Cottage Cheese | Flaxseed Oil | Guar Gum | Olive Oil | Potassium Chloride | Dicalcium Phosphate | Garlic | Alfalfa Meal | Carrageenan | Calcium Carbonate | Choline Chloride | A-Tocopherol | Vitamin E Supplement | Zinc Amino Acid Complex | Iron Amino Acid Complex | Copper Amino Acid Complex | Calcium Panthothenate | Vitamin A Acetate | Niacin | Riboflavin | Folic Acid | Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide | Selenomethionine | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Vitamin D Supplement | Biotin | Thiamine Mononitrate |

This is Natural Choice Chicken, rice and Oatmeal canned dog food:
Chicken Broth, Chicken, Chicken Liver, Beef Liver, Ground Rice, Oatmeal, Rice Gluten, Dried Egg Product, Guar Gum, Beet Pulp, Brewers Dried Yeast, Sunflower Oil, Potassium Chloride, Carrageenan, Sodium Ascorbate (Source of Vitamin C), Ferrous Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement

(More broth than meat... "What do you want for breakfast?" Dried Egg Product! YEY!! :D )

Here is Eukanuba's Lamb and Rice canned dog food:
Lamb Broth, Lamb, Lamb Liver, Lamb Tripe, Brewers Rice, Dried Egg Product, Fish Meal (source of fish oil), Corn Oil, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Potassium Chloride, Monosodium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Salt, Dicalcium Phosphate, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Beta-carotene, Ascorbic Acid, Zinc Oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Manganese Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Folic Acid, Cobalt Carbonate.

See Eukanuba uses corn oil which is cheaper than olive. More broth than meat again, brewer's rice.... :yuck:

And last but not least: Pedigree "Choice Cuts" canned dog food.
Sufficient Water for Processing, Poultry, Meat By-Products, Wheat Flour, Beef, Wheat Gluten, Salt, Caramel Coloring, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Natural Flavors, Guar Gum, Sodium Alginate, Sunflower Oil, Minerals (Potassium Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide), Xanthan Gum, Vitamins (Vitamin E, A & D3 Supplements, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Biotin), Onion Powder, Garlic Powder.

Not even broth here... Water instead. I won't even comment on the rest...

Is that enough? Just a brief look at the foods coming down the price chain from most $$$ to least $$$...

Prin
April 8th, 2005, 10:23 PM
I've been thinking, since I posted that list... That canned solid gold sounds really tasty. I don't think I eat that well...

glasslass
April 9th, 2005, 12:06 AM
Do you suppose the reason for not mixing wet with dry would be to prevent the wet from sitting out too long and maybe spoiling? Puss used to eat her canned food up right away and would snack on the dry over a period of time.

punksuzy
August 18th, 2005, 07:28 PM
So I just got this food from my veterinarian. I know this thread is really really old, but I was searching online to learn about it. Is there any place other than the vet that this food can be purchased? I've heard good things about it, but you're right that it doesn't sound so high-quality. Either way, I do what my vet tells me to do, and if she wants Miss Kitty on this food, then that's what Miss Kitty will be eating. As for it being only a temporary food, I was told by my vet to keep her on it for life. My cat was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with bladder stones, and they came back 99% struvite and 1% calcium. Anyways that solid gold food sounds awesome. Maybe I'll have to get some for my Yorkie. Does it make them any smarter? :o

Ok. I'm done.

-Kari

Prin
August 18th, 2005, 09:11 PM
So I just got this food from my veterinarian. I know this thread is really really old, but I was searching online to learn about it. Is there any place other than the vet that this food can be purchased? I've heard good things about it, but you're right that it doesn't sound so high-quality. Either way, I do what my vet tells me to do, and if she wants Miss Kitty on this food, then that's what Miss Kitty will be eating. As for it being only a temporary food, I was told by my vet to keep her on it for life. My cat was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with bladder stones, and they came back 99% struvite and 1% calcium. Anyways that solid gold food sounds awesome. Maybe I'll have to get some for my Yorkie. Does it make them any smarter? :o

Ok. I'm done.

-Kari
I'm not sure where else you can get the SO, but maybe check at groomers too... As for the Solid gold, I'm the biggest fan there is. I haven't noticed any increase in intelligence (my dogs were already almost humanly smart :p :D ), but it does make them softer, healthier and have a good energy level... Is that not enough? :D

punksuzy
August 30th, 2005, 06:33 PM
I'm not sure where else you can get the SO, but maybe check at groomers too... As for the Solid gold, I'm the biggest fan there is. I haven't noticed any increase in intelligence (my dogs were already almost humanly smart :p :D ), but it does make them softer, healthier and have a good energy level... Is that not enough? :D

Hahaha Yes that's enough. I was kidding anyways. I don't think there is any hope for Ammo to get any smarter. I think he is just going to always be a spaz attack :pawprint: ...but we did try the Solid Gold food. The only one he liked was Turkey and Ocean Fish. But he did eat that rather quickly. As for the Royal Canin... They sell it at some Petsmarts, but you have to be a member of the Banfield vet with a prescription card to buy it. I'm very anti-Banfield, so that wasn't an option for me. I told them they could shove it. Haha. It doesn't matter anyways, because my cats despise it. I tried it 3 different nights. Once alone, once with some water mixed in, and the third time with chicken broth mixed in. They won't eat it. They smell it and then look at me like I have lost my marbles. So, my vet has been trying out various others, which have also been unsuccessful - Prescription Diet c/d, in both flavors. My cats have never been so picky before. I think they know it's medicated.

Ah, well. What can you do? A whole bunch of nothing. Eventually they will run out of prescription foods to try on my cats and we'll have to come up with a plan B to all of this. But again, thanks for recommending Solid Gold. :thumbs up

Prin
August 30th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Are you feeding canned? If you are look at Merrick and Wellness canned... They look tasty...
Merrick Canned Cat food (http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/canned_cat_food.php)
Wellness canned cat food (http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/cats/wellness_detail.asp?pCode=canCatTurkeySalmon)

dereksh
May 23rd, 2006, 03:15 PM
Hi, I'm new to this website. I was searching for info on Royal Canin Urinary SO, and I found this thread.

My cat Carolan ("Sir Carolan" for short :thumbs up ) couldn't urinate a month ago, and feeding him the wet Royal Canin Urinary SO (along with pain relievers and anti-inflammatories for a couple of days) got him through. Switched him back to the dry Azmira, and 2 weeks later he was having trouble again, so he's on it for life.

My vet (the vet tech, actually) said that they don't recommend mixing the wet with dry because it will give the cat a better mix of stuff (right ph level, and some other things she said that I don't remember) than the mix.

However, our cats used to have a problem with being separated while eating, so whatever one got, the other got, too. So she told us that, if we needed/wanted to feed all three cats the same food, we could mix the wet Royal Canin Urinary SO with the dry Royal Canin Urinary SO to mitigate the cost of feeding the special food to three kitties. (I'm a poor starving grad student, so I have to keep cost firmly in mind.)

It seems, however, that the cats are ok with eating separately these days. So we're just going with the wet food as the vet recommends.

I agree that all the meat by-products isn't great, but urinary infections trump my queasiness at rogue animal bits. He's healthy with this stuff, so until there's something better that does the same job, this is what he's getting.

So I guess I don't really have a question, I just thought I'd add our story to the data pool. (Splash!)

-Derek..