Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

technique for stopping dog from barking, can it be used to stop pup nipping&cheewing

Eleni
April 7th, 2005, 07:08 AM
holding his muzzle farmily, but not enough to hurt him and tellign him no bite

effective or no? so far he stops for awhile and forgets later and i ahve to correct him again

not serprising for a pup.

It wont hurt his trust in me being this stern will it?

Eleni

raingirl
April 7th, 2005, 11:06 AM
I only do positive training, nothing physical, so I can't help you there.

The "positive training" way to stop biting is to yell OWWW really loud when it happens, and to walk away and remove ALL attention to your dog. That's how puppies learn it in the pack. If the dog gets to rough, the other dog signals to him with a loud yelp and walks away. If they dog wants to continue playing, he has to learn to play nice.

It isn't working so well for my dog, but he is a rescue, and not a puppy, and has not been trained to no bite at all (probably taken away from his mom too early). Also, he's an English Bulldog and he's extremely stubborn.

On a weird note, we have started using a calm down/shhhhh command when he tries to bite, by petting him and talking softly, and it actually seems to be working better. When my dog bites his is overly excited and just needs to relax.

MIA
April 7th, 2005, 11:47 AM
I've used bitter apple to deter both barking and biting! I put it with the command and spray right in the mouth, they don't like it and it seems to be a fast effective way to stop them.

Eleni
April 7th, 2005, 12:16 PM
im not talkign hold him roughly, jsut put my hand around his muzzle to stop him.
perhaps im describing it wrong

yelling ow seems to encourage him, not sure wonder if i was yelling it wrong, but he gets excited, this is only really aproblem when he is excited

Eleni

Trinitie
April 7th, 2005, 12:19 PM
You spray right into the mouth? The poor thing. Does it hide, cringe and cry much? How old is your puppy?

Biting and nipping is part of puppyhood and Raingirl has the right idea. Eventually they grow out of it, but like I've said before "persistence is the key!". Deviate from your behaviour and the unwanted things might return. ANYBODY the puppy nips should react the same. Yelp and turn away. It does work, in time.

Trinitie
April 7th, 2005, 12:21 PM
im not talkign hold him roughly, jsut put my hand around his muzzle to stop him.
perhaps im describing it wrong

yelling ow seems to encourage him, not sure wonder if i was yelling it wrong, but he gets excited, this is only really aproblem when he is excited

Eleni

Yelling won't get you very far in the long run. Instead of yelling, try a GROWLY voice. Pretend you're reading a book to a little kid, and you're doing the part of the Big Bad Wolf. Imagine how he'd sound and use that as your GROWLY voice. A low growl "OFF" will work better in the end than a yelled one. Eventually you may find your dog deaf to the yelling and then what?

Not to mention, it'll be easier on your voice!

Eleni
April 7th, 2005, 01:18 PM
ah maybe thats what i was doing wrong, I thought you were supposed to yell ow to get their attention.

im not usually a yeller. ill try to growly voice and see how he does.

Eleni

Natasa
April 7th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Not yelling, but yelping (high pitched, like another pup would do if hurting) and than ignoring them works for pups. It doesn’t teach them not to put their teeth on you per se, but it does teach bite inhibition and to have soft mouth, which is more important.

I think it very important not to stop pups from mouthing completely, as it teaches them bite inhibition. How else are they going to learn what is appropriate?

Eleni
April 7th, 2005, 01:49 PM
well the problem is I cant allow him to mouth my toddlers for their safety and his.

right now they are very well supervised and when he reaches an excitement level that i know he will begin thos behaviour i put him in another room where the kids arent.

however id like him to eventually be around the kids and know he wont put his teeth on their skin. I know its a long process and I know its normal as a pup.

im gonna keep with it, its worth the effort and time for sure

Eleni