Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

curtains

raingirl
April 6th, 2005, 04:28 PM
OK..need some advice.

The apartment we live in gets WAY too hot. The super hasn't found anything wrong with the AC, but we have no cold air blowing...only just room temp air being fanned around. He is going to come look at it again soon, however he doesn't know what is wrong.

So..it's only April and it's getting up to 80F in here daily during prime sunshine time. And I have the worlds biggest window that faces south west, so we get pure sun from about 10 AM until sundown. Despite having fans on, windows open letting cooler air in, and keeping the curtains drawn, it is still to warm in here, especially for Odin. And I don't want him to overheat. And with summer coming, it will get worse.

My mom, being that we grew up without AC, suggested getting really heavy dark curtains for the windows where the sun shines in. That way most of the heat is blocked out. Problem is, I haven't been able to find a curtain rod that goes that wide! The window is 100 inches wide, or 255 cm. Also, the window goes all the way to the ceiling, so any curtain rod that is long enough will have to be anchored to the ceiling, which of course is a popcorn ceiling.

Anyone have any ideas?

Jackie467
April 6th, 2005, 04:32 PM
sorry I can't be of much help but I wish we had your wheather. It's 95 F here in the shade right now and it's not even close to what it will be this summer. I didn't have AC growing up in PA either, it sucks because my father always reminds me when I complain that I'm hot that he never had AC and i'm spoiled lol.

Sneaky2006
April 6th, 2005, 05:04 PM
I was going to suggest that you get a set of blinds made for your size window, I believe they can do any size, but you're looking at a ton of money.
Our AC sucks so we have the blinds closed and the curtains drawn while it's running and it makes a world of difference, not only from stopping the sunlight but also warm air... I was going to say warm draft but it sounded funny, lol.
The window in my living room is *I think* more than 100inches, it is actually three windows side by side, one big window in the center and the way it's made you can't get separate curtains for it so we have a big gaudy brass rod that's on the outside of the 3 windows... I think something like that could be anchored on the ceiling too. It is soooo ugly, but I don't have a choice.

I just did a search and found this, I don't know about the ceiling thing but it says it can go 108 inches. This is the kind of thing I was talking about cept mine is ugly.
When looking for one, you should look for drapery rods (being bigger and longer) not curtain rods.
http://www.lnt.com/sm-umbra-orchid-drapery-rod--pi-1358115.html
I hope this helps.

Prin
April 6th, 2005, 05:35 PM
I can help!!! We had the same problem and we bought Ikea curtains and bout an 8 foot dowel from Reno-depot (it's building box in other provinces). It's about a 3/4 inch thick round piece of pine 8 feet long. It was about $6. At Ikea they only sell them up to 4 feet I think, not long enough. You just have to buy the end holder things.

What I suggest though is not thick dark curtains as those get hot. We got those (from Ikea too) as a gift and hated them. We now have two sets of thin cotton ones with the loops that slide onto the dowel. THe set closest to the window is navy blue and the top set is white. It blocks out the light but still is bright in the room during the day because of the white. ANd it lets the wind in if the window is open (thicker ones don't do that) You just put one loop of one and then a loop of the other on the dowel. They're $20 each. I posted a picture of both from Ikea's site:

Eleni
April 7th, 2005, 09:00 AM
I had this problem in my last apartment, I used velcro.

i used a double sided tape for the portion i put on the window, and i sewed the other portion into the drape

not only did it work well it was so east to pull the drapes down and wash them.

when i moved all i had to do was pull the portion off the window any parts that refused to come up i just took a razor blade and scraped them up, it wasnt hard at all

Eleni

DogueLover
April 7th, 2005, 09:23 AM
I have seen the designers on home improvement shows use cable as well. They are just anchored with those ring type metal anchors( to the ceiling and pulled through the rings.
If you ask at any home improvement store, telling them about what you are trying to do, they will be really happy to help you out with a LOT of suggestions as to what you can use.

Bearsmom
April 7th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Go to fabricland, and ask them for drapery liners that will block the heat/sun. I have them in our bedroom, and the room is pitch black when I'm working nights. You don't even need to sew them, just cut and hang.