New baby

vegan
April 6th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Hi everyone. :)
Yesterday I was given a one year old white german shepard from
a "friend" of mine. They were keeping her in a apartment, locked in a
closet and she chewed out.
Normally I do a good deal of research BEFORE I take in a breed of dog
I have never had but in this case I was not looking for another dog.
I will be keeping her of course and just want to be sure I go about
taking care of her correctly.
I would like to go about training and caring for her in the right
manner and want to learn as much about the breed as I can. Is there
any diet problems with the breed? My dalmatian can not have beef,
lamb, etc due to his breed. What health risk does the breed have? She
is well trained come when called sits and lays when asked. She does
get distracted I have noticed by the other dogs and will not listen
as well. She is very bad on leash and pulls me all over the place.
She is not overly aggressive with me or the two other dogs but will
show her teeth when playing. Is the showing of the teeth something I
will need to worry about or just normal playing behavor? She will
also play bite me when I run around with them but she is getting
better about stopping that. She is already protecting the yard like
she should. She is very hyper and is wearing out my dalmatian a dog I
have always thought as impossible to wear out. The dalmatian and her have been doing a little growling trying to figure out whom is on top but play well at times like normal. Its only when one jumps on the others back or with a toy they both want.

Princesss04
April 6th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Thank you so much for giving this baby a good home. There needs to be more people like you that wants to help and save fur babies. Nice work! :D

Prin
April 6th, 2005, 04:47 PM
I think it's great too that you're giving this guy a good chance at a home.

For the teeth, I would advise that you to pick a level of aggression that you are ok with with the dog you already have and stop the playing if it gets higher than that. What I am trying to say is, you have to figure out where the boundary is between playing and "not really playing anymore" and stop it before the escalation.

As for health issues, german shepherds can have many, many genetic disorders, and I'm not a pro but there is an enormous list of the in the book "Control of Genetic Diseases" by Padgett. I was going to list them all by I would be here all day...

vegan
April 6th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Yeah she is a good girl and at last she has found a FOREVER home. :) :love:

I like the idea of setting a level. Do you think she would understand a different level between my little dog and the bigger dog ie the dalmatian. I think the dal can handle a little more then the small one.

Prin
April 6th, 2005, 06:55 PM
I taught my dogs "easy" and "he's little, be careful" (as well as "be careful, that doggy hurts" and "it's a puppy") just for that. My doggies know really well that there is a difference in puppies, little dogs and dogs their own size and strength. The little ones screech a lot more easily too so that makes it easier for them to learn.

They do know the difference if you enforce it.
("that doggy hurts" worked really well so many times-- there was a great dane with asthma and Boo really didn't understand what was going on and was freaking out. When I told him that doggy hurts, he calmed down and was a lot less antagonizing. It works with old crabby dogs too, if you don't want your dog near them. My dogs know what "hurts" is from seeing us hurt and saying it to them when they got hurt-- a lot of repetition in similar contexts)

kandy
April 8th, 2005, 05:50 PM
I have had german shepards and the most common health problems (that I have seen) are ear infections, displaysia and arthritis (in older years). We did have one black german shepard that had dog lupus, although the vet said that was fairly rare. As far as diet, all of our german's just ate any normal dry food, sometimes with canned mixed in, sometimes not.

Try the gentle leader for the leash pulling problem.

I applaud you for taking in this dog - german shepards are extremely loyal and all around good dogs!

They do need to be socialized alot. When I was young we had a belgium shepard that my mom bought for my dad after his was killed and he didn't want the dog around him (I guess it reminded him of the other one). Consequently, the dog spent the first two years of his life in a pen behind my grandmother's house. That dog became very aggressive because the only human contact he had were kids teasing him and my grandmother yelling at him to quit barking. My mom and I were the ones that fed him and brushed him and cleaned his cage. When my dad finally agreed to let the dog live with us, the only people who could pet him were my mom and I. He was very protective of her and I but was very, very aggressive with everyone else. He would bite other people with very little provocation. We could never break him of the aggression, although we did get him to quit biting. He would still growl at everyone else if they came too close to my mom or I. I know that his behavior came from not being socialized so he began to see my mom and I as the only nice humans.

tenderfoot
April 8th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Shepherds have a huge slew of physical problems so it would be best to contact a local reputable breeder to get the list. They can have enzyme production problems, so if you notice a problem holding or gaining weight get to your vet and they have a remedy.
The baring of teeth can also be a sign of submission, so be sure you know what you are observing. She is on stimulation overload right now and probably doesn't have the social skills she should, your other dogs will teach her a lot. The next couple of weeks she will be learning a ton about the rules of your house. It is better to get her off on the right foot from the start, so be sure you are clear about your rules.
Thanks for taking her on - it might be a bumpy road at first but it could be the best ride ever!

JennG
May 10th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Our white shepherd, Sheba, has no medical problems aside from the ones she's brought on herself. We got her from a similar situation, the owner worked 12 hrs/day, so at 9 mos. when we got her, we had to train her. She still eats everything-cat food to poop. She is very sociable; great with kids (we have three 8, 6, 4) to which she adores; and is extremely gentle with my sister's Llaso Apso (she'll lay down so that he can climb on her to play). When she came to us, she jumped up alot. We tried everything to break that habit. Finally, we started ignoring her and putting our hands behind our back until she sat. That worked as she craves the attention. It took a great deal of patience, but she is a good dog now.

Lucky Rescue
May 10th, 2005, 10:48 PM
THANK you for taking this dog in! His owners should be locked in a closet and the key thrown away! :mad:

Yes, this dog is probably overstimulated and no doubt undersocialized. I would limit her freedom in the house for now and let her earn it with good behavior. Too much too soon is not always a good thing for dogs and can make them anxious and insecure.

Time, patience, consistancy, training and of course love should do the trick!:)

GSDs, like other deep chested breeds, can get bloat.