Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Any advice for TOO loving?

Conners
April 6th, 2005, 12:48 PM
My Shasta (Staffordshire) is WONDERFUL!!! But...when friends first come to visit, she gets overly excited and licks them to death. I have put a halti on her, and that works and she sits like a proper lady. Once I've figured she's settled down and tell her NO LICKING! She immediately goes to great the person and depending on who is is, has to show her love by licking the persons face.
I don't want to scold her for being too loving, but when is enough, enough? I've even tried the treat thing trying to get her mind off the greating. We call it cookies.
Another problem is my girlfriend had a sore lip she was going to the doctors about. Shasta insisted she wanted to lick it. As the sore became worse, the more agressively Shasta wanted to lick it. Turned out her mouth and lip was cancer and she had to have surgury done. They say animals can sense this and we were both wondering if this was why Shasta was being so insistant with her. Now that the cancer is gone, Shasta doesn't go for her mouth anymore. Back to wanting to lick the whole face.
She doesn't do it with me very often as I found some tricks thatworkfor me and 'if she is a good girl', she gets her belly rubbed from me instead, which she can't resist.
Any advice? I was thinking of dog obedience, but it's so costly and she walks perfect, behaves perfect...except for this greating thing, then she calms right down perfect as gold.
We're being loved too death!!! :eek:

Conners
April 6th, 2005, 08:53 PM
I notice nobody is replying and probably think this isn't a real problem. I'm not always clear when I say things as I have a cognitive memory problem, but along with the licking, we are being scratched by her nailed, which I try to keep clipped down.
She so desperately wants to get to your face to kiss you, that she will try to climb on you, if you're sitting or jumps up if I don't grab her in time, and she weighs 55 lbs.
So, I guess the real question would be how do I get her to settle down when a friend comes to visit so she doesn't jump or maul us to death to lick us?
When I know someone is coming I use the halti on her, but without the advanced warning, I'm frantic and she's balistic for the first 15 minutes. My arm looks like I took a vegetable grater to it. Please HELP if you can.

Lizzie
April 6th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Perhaps some old fashioned obeidience training so she learns to listen on command....

It's worth a shot.

mona_b
April 6th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Yes,you are right.Animals can actualy sense medical issues in humans.There are dogs who can sense when their owner is having a seizure.A friend of my moms has a Weimaraner named Radar who can sense a seizure just before it happens.And Radar was not triained for this.

As for the exssesive licking,I would teach her the "enough" command.Practice this with your GF.You can have her leash on for this.When your GF has had enough of the licking,say to her,Shasta,"enough"...And get her to sit right away.Once she does,praise her.But since she sounds like an exciteable dog,I wouldn't over do it with the praise.You may just over excite her more.Then try this with someone else.The other thing you can do if she even gets excited when someone comes in the house is to ignore her for lets say about 10 minutes.Don't talk to her or even look at her.After that time if she has settled,praise her.Tell her she is a good dog.

Did this help?Did any of this make sence?

Lucky Rescue
April 6th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Connor, I was griping about this on another thread. I have a pit bull, and from what I've heard from others, this comes with the breed.

My dog goes insane when anyone comes to my home. I mean berserk. She shakes, whines, yips, moans and lunges, although she is not a licker.

Like you, I don't want to punish her for loving people so much and have asked a lot of other owners what to do.

My dog is very obedient and trained, but she loses all reason at this time. I have tried a number of methods on her, and I found one that is beginning to work just a tiny bit. I really feel this behavior has nothing to do with training.

I am now gating her in a room just off the kitchen when someone comes, and I give people strict instructions to ignore her. She can see and hear everyone but if she starts whining, I correct her. I also like to give her a bone to chew in there. Another problem she has is that in her excitement, she needs something in her mouth and anything will do. :rolleyes:

Once everyone is seated and things are calmer, I put her leash on and lead her out, and tell everyone again to ignore her. If she can somewhat control herself she may stay and I will give her a cookie. If not, back into the room.

Lately, it's getting so that threatening her with the room is sort of calming her a bit.

I feel bad for her, since she is the type of dog who should live in a college dorm or Grand Central station, and I don't have enough company to make her happy.:(

mona_b
April 6th, 2005, 09:37 PM
I don't have enough company to make her happy.:(

If you were closer LR,I would send over a ton of co-workers to help you out with that.... :thumbs up

Lucky Rescue
April 6th, 2005, 09:52 PM
I wish you could too Mona. That would make Chloe so happy!!

The advice you gave is really good, and would work on most dogs, but this is something that has be seen to be believed!

Chloe didn't act like this right after I got her, cause she came from a chaotic house where there were people constantly in and out. She's getting worse rather than better. She loses all reason and literally cannot control herself. :eek:

mona_b
April 6th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Oh trust me,I have seen it...LOL

My sisters BC Abbey is a licker.She just doesn't go for the face,she goes for the bare feet and hands.It would always drive me crazy.She is not an overly excited dog.But it's the excessive licking.Especially when you are trying to talk and all of a sudden there is a tongue in your mouth...And you know what they do with their tongue.... :yuck:

I just wish she would start licking at the cows hooves........LOL

Conners
April 7th, 2005, 12:20 AM
[/QUOTE]The other thing you can do if she even gets excited when someone comes in the house is to ignore her for lets say about 10 minutes.Don't talk to her or even look at her.After that time if she has settled,praise her.Tell her she is a good dog.[/QUOTE]

If we ignored her for 10 minutes, she'd have us flat on our backs on the floor with face snobber all over our faces. She'd think it a game.

[/QUOTE]She is not an overly excited dog.But it's the excessive licking.Especially when you are trying to talk and all of a sudden there is a tongue in your mouth[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY! Thing is, it's only the initial first 15 minutes. When someone comes to visit and stays a week, it's only the first day that she's like that. After that, she's just her normal lovable self to them and to me.

[/QUOTE]I am now gating her in a room just off the kitchen when someone comes, and I give people strict instructions to ignore her. She can see and hear everyone but if she starts whining, I correct her. I also like to give her a bone to chew in there. Another problem she has is that in her excitement, she needs something in her mouth and anything will do. [/QUOTE]

I put her in the bedroom and told her to lie down on Mommy's bed...which normally she loves. But pitties are so vocal that a distraught neighbour called the Animal Care Centre and told them I was leaving her out in the cold. No, she was making a fuss in the bedroom calling 'Mom' (she actually says Mom and Mama) and the neighbour thought she was in distress.
I am trying to correct this so desparately as already the pits have such a bad rap and I REFUSE to let any harm come to Shasta. The last thing I need is another complaint. (hands pulling hair out by the roots)

[/QUOTE]As for the exssesive licking,I would teach her the "enough" command.Practice this with your GF.You can have her leash on for this.When your GF has had enough of the licking,say to her,Shasta,"enough"...And get her to sit right away.Once she does,praise her.But since she sounds like an exciteable dog,I wouldn't over do it with the praise.You may just over excite her more.Then try this with someone else.[/QUOTE]

I've tried this one too. She finally seems calm and I've given her a few 'cookies' (doggie treats) and tell her 'My good girl! Once the treats are gone...WOOOSH...she runs to my friend and I prey her off and try again. This time no more treats as I'm frustrated, but feeling guilty because she only trying to be affectionate. Could it be that I'm very affectionate to people and animals and her especially? I'm teaching her 'people kisses'...that's kisses with no licking. She loves when we do it, but loses all sences when she's that excited.

[/QUOTE]are right.Animals can actualy sense medical issues in humans.There are dogs who can sense when their owner is having a seizure.A friend of my moms has a Weimaraner named Radar who can sense a seizure just before it happens.And Radar was not triained for this.{[/QUOTE]

I think they are naturals with their great sense good of smell. Eye sight doesn't seem to be a great as the sniffer though. LOL

[/QUOTE]I feel bad for her, since she is the type of dog who should live in a college dorm or Grand Central station, and I don't have enough company to make her happy.[/QUOTE]

That's so sad and I know where you're coming from. I had a phobia that prevented me from leaving the home for 5 years. Shasta was the one that helped me get over that. How about I send all my friends and family to your place? LOL Shasta has the neighbourhood kids, neighbours and her pet friends coming to the patio to play or pay attention. She lacks none of that.

[/QUOTE]Perhaps some old fashioned obeidience training so she learns to listen on command....[/QUOTE]

I've been considering it, but the reply from LuckyRescue makes me wonder if that is the answer either. [/QUOTE]My dog is very obedient and trained, but she loses all reason at this time. I have tried a number of methods on her, and I found one that is beginning to work just a tiny bit. I really feel this behavior has nothing to do with training.[/QUOTE]

If that's what it takes, then I'll have to give that a try. It's difficult though as 1) Due to disabilities I'm no longer to drive a car.
2) Beside the fee's for the training, (which I would save up for) I'd have to take a pet taxi every week, and it's not in my budget. Naturally it the total opposite side of town and the outskirts to boot.
3) No. I don't have anyone like a friend or family member to drive me and it's way to far for both Shasta and I to go by bike and her running along side of me. If we did somhow manage to make it, we wouldn't be able to come home and I would be in Chronic Fatigue for the next several months and unable to get to all the classes.
Believe me...I have thought of practically EVERYTHING. She's liberated me, but not to THAT extreme. LOL
I hope I did this right with all the quotes and I thank you all for being so supportive. Maybe if we both took a valuim. JK LOL

puppup11
April 7th, 2005, 08:14 AM
I have a similar situation with my pit. We taught her off the bat that she's not to jump up and it works most of the time, but when she gets too excited she will jump. The best solution I've found so far is to leash her right away when someone is coming in and if she even tries to jump or looks like she's going to, pull her down and say "no!". With the licking, if someone bends down to her they're probably going to get licked. So if they don't want to be licked, they shouldn't put their face within strike range. Another thing that has helped is working on sit/stay. It's a whole new ball game to try that when there's distractions, but that's when it needs to be worked on and physically enforced if she won't respond to the command. Working on sit/stay outdoors may help too because she'll learn that it has to be obeyed in every situation. Another command I'm going to try to teach her for company is to "go in your kennel" (which she already does) and then "stay" until I release her. This is hard to accomplish with people in the house though. But persistence should pay off eventually. Another thing you can try is have your company tell her to "sit" and don't give her any attention unless she is sitting. Ours does this automatically now quite a bit, it's funny because she'll sit and if nothing happens, roll belly up, and then get up and sit again, over and over till she gets attention. The drive for attention can be used to train if attention is only given when she's behaving and when she's not, she gets ignored or reprimanded.

Lucky Rescue
April 7th, 2005, 10:20 AM
I have a similar situation with my pit.

From what I've heard from many other people, I really believe this is a breed thing, with their overwhelming love of people.

My dog did wonderfully in obedience school. Smart, easy to train and more well behaved than most of the other dogs. Even outside, I have no trouble with her obeying commands. I didn't even have much trouble teaching her to stop chasing bikes, skateboards, etc.

Outside, I can walk her through crowds. She ignores everyone unless someone goes to pet her or calls her, and then she is very friendly and polite. I can take her to someone's else's house, and although she gets excited, it's nothing like at my house.

Inside my house is the only place she loses it. I have tried everything. The first was having her sit/stay next to me until guests were in and had their coats off etc. Chloe would sit next to me SHAKING from head to toe and the instant I released her, she would go ballistic.

Next I tried putting her on the deck to calm down. That was the worst solution and anyway, it would only work for a few months of the year when it's warm out. :rolleyes:

After 15 minutes of freaking out, she then rushes off in the house to find something to put in her mouth to ease her excitement. Only after that does she calm down.

I'm not saying the gating method I use now is working great, but it's working better than other things I have tried so I will persist with that.

Trinitie
April 7th, 2005, 11:33 AM
I've tried this one too. She finally seems calm and I've given her a few 'cookies' (doggie treats) and tell her 'My good girl! Once the treats are gone...WOOOSH...she runs to my friend and I prey her off and try again. This time no more treats as I'm frustrated, but feeling guilty because she only trying to be affectionate.

I think it may be the fact you're making a big fuss out of the fact she stopped. She may see this as affirmation that she did good in the first place! She might not see the "stopping of licking" as the end result that got her the cookies. Cut out the cookies. When you give her the "enough" command, no cookies. Wait a minute or two and then have her do something like sit or down, or something else she knows, and give her the cookie then. Have the person she's licking do it too. Give her a toy to chew and tell her she's a good girl. It may take a while for her to get the idea that no more cookies near the time she's kissing, but pitties are pretty smart doggies. She'll probably get the idea pretty quickly.

I hope this helps!

Conners
April 8th, 2005, 03:11 AM
You're right about not giving her cookies Trinitie. I wasn't thinking of it being a reward and her thinking that's a great way to get them.
I also like the idea's that many of you mentioned about having her chew something. I completely forgot that hat's exactly what I did when all the family was coming here for Christmas. I got prepared by buying her a BIG rawhide bone (a 2 footer) and she was so busy with that, with everyone coming in, she wagged her tail, but didn't want to leave her bone and everything went smoothly. I totally forgot about that and I know that works.
The sit/stay command doesn't work for me when she's lost all her faculties. LOL Although, with the haltie on, that just might work, especially if I don't take it off while friends come to visit the first few times. She doesn't mind the halti one bit, so between doing one or the other, it just might work. I'll let you know how it's going.
LuckRescue, let me know ho the gate thing is working for you. If only Michael Bryant could see what our problems are. Our dogs are too lovable! LOL
Thanks all! :grouphug: