Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

House Hunting:what's important??

twinmommy
April 6th, 2005, 01:40 PM
ugh.

I have been fighting with my husband for weeks. :(
We are agreed that we would like to sell our house. It needs a lot of work, but we picked it up for a song, so we would like to just do SOME of the major needs and then flip it.

right.

now the hard part.

I am feeling very alone in my own little "neurotic" crusade to find a safe home ,here.
I am living presently on a very busy street and would like a quieter one.
I live near to main power lines and would like not to.
I want to live at least 15 miles from golf courses because of pesticides and their proven links with pediatric cancers.
Waterfront is a nice idea for later, right now I've got two little ones.
No traintracks within "playing/mischief" distance please. (like a the end of the street or one street over)

Think I'm neurotic? Your right. But godamm,(sorry) I will keep these children safe. I know that "there's always something" but I feel that these dangers I've mentioned are important and I don't have to move in right beside them.

I have fought so much with him about this that when I mentioned proper schools,(not private just good schools) in the areas we are looking, he told me--"YOU find the house". I resent this, because I haven't turned anything away we haven't even visited ONE yet.

Oh I WILL find the house, trust me. I just resent being treated like a mental patient.

whew, sorry for the rant. :eek:

anyone care to commiserate?

Bearsmom
April 6th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Ah, sure, I'm always good for a reply.

Get onto www.mls.ca and start your search. You can select your price range, type of house, location, etc etc etc. I always go on there to see what the houses in our neighbourhood are going for.

We used to live in a fairly young neighbourhood (our first house), but the yard size was driving me crazy, Bear barely had enough room to get around, so we decided we'd sell. All we really did was replace nasty builders' carpet with laminate flooring (cheap and durable), and repainted what had to be done. After a million showings (it felt like a real pain as I always had to keep the house clean, and evacuate with Bear and Robbie when a showing was on), our house was listed and sold in 4 days. Then I was like oooh *****, now we have to find a house. Hubby says, Oh, I don't care, get what you want.

Well, what I want is a 7 bedroom mansion with staff on duty, but realistically, that sure as heck didn't happen, we snipered someone that had a conditional offer (we could offer firm as ours was already sold) on what is now our house. I knew it was the house for us as soon as we had a showing, I fell in love with it. Needed some minor cosmetic repairing, but hubby and I are both handy, so that wasn't a challenge at all.

Best part about this was I told hubby when we got a bigger yard, I wanted another dog. That bit him on the a$$ when I reminded him of that and we now have Kaos. Hehehe.

Vent away, twinmommy, you're not to blame for wanting a safe place to raise your kids.

PS when you do find something, you can call your local police department and do an address search to find out about the neighbourhood.

meb999
April 6th, 2005, 02:28 PM
I don't see anything wrong with your criterias...and it's not like it's impossible to find a house that would match all of them...

shopping for a house is extremely stressfull, and will cause lots of fights...just explain to your hubbie your reasons, he'll come around.

men *rolled eyes*

Bearsmom
April 6th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Yeah, boys are stupid anyways. HEEHEEHEEEEEE

BMDLuver
April 6th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Move to my neighbourhood Twinmommy! Excellent school around the corner. People from out of district apply for their kids to go to it. House for sale around the corner, quiet cul de sac! :)

None of your conditions are ridiculous so stick to your guns! C'mon over for coffee and you can vent away, lol.

Prin
April 6th, 2005, 05:31 PM
We just bought a house and it took 1 year to find it. We have barely any money and we had to find a house that would not affect my boyfriend's allergies too much.

We've lived in this rat infested, mold ravaged, leaky-roofed, bad neighbors with barky dogged, no parking hole in the wall on a highway for nearly 4 years not and let me tell you, if you are not happy with your home, there is so much stress added to your life and your relationship. I would look until you fall in love. If something bugs you right off the bat, it will bug you until you move again. We bought a tiny house with the river at the bottom of the street, and the street goes nowhere. Right now if one of our doggies slips out of the apt and runs across the street, it WILL be hit by a car. The only question is "how hard?" Our new street has maybe 1 car an hour on it.

Whatever is important to you, go for it. :)

Schwinn
April 6th, 2005, 05:39 PM
I told my wife I wanted a yard and a two-car garage, that's it. As a matter of fact, she made the offer before I even saw the house. We also didn't care about wall colours and carpeting, because that can be (and usually will be) replaced. We made around $30K on our last house because the walls were beat up and the carpeting was ugly. Not bad for a 1 year investment! And I love a house with a dead lawn. I used to work in lawn care, and people will be surprised how cheap it is to bring a lawn back. However, these issues mean low curb appeal, therefore low selling price. Myself, I don't know that you are being completely unreasonable. I mean, I've lived in a house I didn't like, and when you're spending a few hundred thousand, shouldn't you like where you are?

twinmommy
April 6th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Thanks guys for the replies...I just needed to be told that what I was wanting was reasonable. Notice how I make no specs on the inside of the house?? That's cuz I don't mind much. I also communicated to hubby that I felt that IF I had further specs about the inside that there was bearly place for that in the debate...??!!

Anyways, we cracked a bottle of vino :D and are discussing......hehehe :angel: :evil:

BmD--I'll check out that property...LOVE your area!! And yes we'll do coffee soon!!

Bearsmom
April 7th, 2005, 11:46 AM
I told my wife I wanted a yard and a two-car garage, that's it. As a matter of fact, she made the offer before I even saw the house. We also didn't care about wall colours and carpeting, because that can be (and usually will be) replaced. We made around $30K on our last house because the walls were beat up and the carpeting was ugly. Not bad for a 1 year investment! And I love a house with a dead lawn. I used to work in lawn care, and people will be surprised how cheap it is to bring a lawn back. However, these issues mean low curb appeal, therefore low selling price. Myself, I don't know that you are being completely unreasonable. I mean, I've lived in a house I didn't like, and when you're spending a few hundred thousand, shouldn't you like where you are?

Ooh, Schwinn, then I have many questions for you. When we bought our house, it had been rented for about 5 years, and the tenants didn't take care of the lawn, so needless to say, we need to bring it back.

Luvmypit
April 7th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Oh Im glad were talking about this cause I just bought my first house 1 week ago. Now when people say its a very stressful thing they are soooooo right. I swear I got 2 migraines in a week. That never happens.

Getting to my point we saw are dream home. Loved it. Great price. Back yard is a dang hydro feild.
Then we walked into this home in a little community in ajax called lakeview and fell in love. I think its just a matter of finding the one. Even though we were looking at 9 houses that day and that was the second one. I just kept thinking about it. I knew. I started picturing myself and the furniture.
Oh and they had a beautiful pit named jersey. And yes I asked if he came with the house.

It will come to you. not to worry. Its like finding your husband. It just clicks. BUT all is very stressful. I guess more so for us as this is my first time. :eek:

jackieb
April 7th, 2005, 02:02 PM
one of my top criterias was good school

Me and my hubby wrote a list

The must haves and the would likes

We decided the top priority was schools im not sure were abouts you are but i managed to get a list of all schools in ontarios grade 6 results.

We also decided it must be a quiet street ideally a cul de sac

I dont think your being unreasonable know your budget and look to see if you can afford what you want. mlsca is a great site. My hubby and i fought like cat and dog over houses.

Write a list even get him to write his own my hubby also told me to find my own house i just think they can get impatient lol

good luck

twinmommy
April 7th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Your right, Luvmypit. Man, can I understand the 2 migraine/wk thing tho!!

Plus the market in booming now, so when you finally like someplace, you find out that there is already an accepted offer on it, and 2 buyers in line if the present offer falls through!!!

It's cool when you are selling, as we soon will, but not on the flip side!!

such is life. Was on the mls before,(twice daily atleast!! ugh!!) and 2 properties were sold in the time that it took the agents to call back.

But I guess like you say, when it's our turn, it'll just click.

twinmommy
April 7th, 2005, 02:06 PM
good to know that others fought like hell as well...it gets discouraging.. :sad:

jackieb
April 7th, 2005, 04:12 PM
im with you its a nightmare were have now found a house but it took a while we looked at loads to be honest i think we over did we were on mls all the time! We are just waiting for contracts to be signed and a morgage approval.

The list really helped us

savannah
April 11th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Twinmommy, you are not being unreasonable at all! In fact, you are being quite easygoing when it comes to finding a new house!
We moved into our house 1 year ago, and before that i lived in an aparment (my whole life) so i knew nothing about what i wanted in a house. I let my husband choose it, and i regret it, very much so regret it. It's a nice house, but i hate the basement, of all things that bug me, the basement bugs me! Half of our basement is crawlspace, and it will cost a lot of $$ to dig it out.
I have a huge list of what i want in a house, and i am always checking mls for a house. I don't care if it is run down, as we are able to fix/removate, but i do want certain things (at least a 50x120 lot, ensuites, backing onto park, crescent or cul de sac, and the list can go on and on).
Be specific on what you want in a house, and remember that you can always fix it up, but other things (like backing onto a highway or being on a busy street) will never change. Stick to your guns!
Good luck!

happycats
April 11th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Savannah, your house sounds like mine (half my basement is crawl space)
And I hate it to! what a waste, I was wondering how much they would charge to dig it out? My hubby picked our house out as well, so I know how you feel ;)

Prin
April 11th, 2005, 11:22 AM
To put a real foundation on and lift up the house would be around $20 000 depending on how soft your ground is under your house. If there are massive rocks, it'll cost more.

Schwinn
April 11th, 2005, 11:31 AM
I remember talking to a contractor who said they could do it for under $10 000. However, it also depends on what corners they are cutting. I'm not sure that's something I'd want a "deal" on. (Of course, then I could get Mike Holmes from Holmes on Homes to come in and do a bang-up job for me. I wonder if he could fix the renos I did myself...)

happycats
April 11th, 2005, 11:43 AM
:eek: :eek: $10,000 - $20, 000, OMG it would be cheaper to just move!
But I guess there is alot of work involved!
I would love to have an ensuite....................hmmmmmm I can dream can't I ?
My house does have it's good points, on a court that's really child friendly, backs onto Crown land, has a very large back yard, has lots of wildlife visits.

Going back to the original post, make sure you get everything you are looking for, even if it takes time, you will know it's the "one" as soon as you see it.

Good luck! House hunting can be fun! (even though it's stressful) :D

savannah
April 11th, 2005, 12:02 PM
I have heard that to dig out crawlspace can cost anywhere up to $30,000!
BUT.....
I do know someone who has done the work by himself, with no contractors involved. I am not exactly sure of what he did, but he got his family to help him dig it out. It took him a year or so to do it. My husband is one of those handy-men, and he thinks he can do it by himself as well. I said, "THAT IS NOT SAFE!" and that our house will collapse, but he said it is possible and that he knows what he is doing.... Sure. But he does not plan to do it unless i want to live there for a long long time.
It is a big waste of space. My in-laws also have the same amount of crawlspace (also live in a backsplit home) and they are going to get contractors to dig it out, so i will let you guys know how much they are going to pay when they get it done.
I think it would be cheaper to just move. And also, basement is not a big selling feature, so the money you put into doing it wont add that much to your resale home value. I would only do it if you plan on living there for the rest of your life.