Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Going Camping!

Princesss04
April 6th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Okay you all Justin's vactaion is on April 28th to May 2. It will cover our anny and my b-day so he asked me where I wanted to go. I want to go camping. Growing up we went all the time but we camped in a RV a super nice one so I have never been in a tent. But, I want to try it. What all are we going to need to be taking. I am so lost but think it sounds like fun. LOL Help me please. :D

happycats
April 6th, 2005, 11:52 AM
We camped for many years, until we bought a trailer.
things you may need are: One very big trunk!!! and
-tent
-sleeping bags, and pad or air mattreess, pillows
-coleman stove, camping pots, pans and dishes and utensils,cups and dish soap
-salt pepper and condements, butter,paper towel, dish cloths
- lantern, ,flashlights
-tiolet bags, with all things like shampoo, soap, tooth paste and toothbrush, wash cloths and towels, hair brush,(make-up is optional, as I don't really think the native wildlife cares how you look!) ,lotions,and lots of toilet paper.
-cooler, water bottles, rubbermaid tote for all nonparishable food items.
-groceries, and easy to make camp receipes. and don't forget weiners and marshmellow for the fire!
-deck of cards
-rope and cloths pins, to hang wet cloths of or towels and air out bedding.
- and small plastic container to do dishes in
- a tarp in case it rains you can make a rain shelter or even sun shelter with it
It is also very important to buy a good first aid kit to bring along, and also bug repellant, a swiss army knife also can be very helpful.

We have Canadian tire here, where you can buy most of this stuff.
you can go to the dollar store to get small plastic containers to put alot of these things in, or local drug dtores carry travel size items like toothpaste and shampoo and soap.

Don't forget to have a great time

Daisy's Owner
April 6th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Here is a checklist that I use. I modify it depending on where I am going, weather, how long etc.

Camping Check List

Shelter and Bedding (essentials)
__ tent
__ tarp
__ sleeping bag
__ sleeping pad
__ headrest

Cooking and Dining (essentials)
__ water
__ food
__ cooler
__ camp stove
__ mess kit
__ can opener
__ charcoal

Clothes
__ t-shirts
__ shorts
__ jeans/pants
__ socks
__ shoes/boots
__ camp shoes
__ hat/cap
__ sweater
__ rain poncho
__ underwear
__ swim suit
__ laundry bag
__ _____________
__ _____________
__ _____________
__ _____________

Personal Hygiene
__ tooth brush
__ tooth paste
__ wash rag(s)
__ towel(s)
__ soap
__ comb/brush
__ nail clippers
__ razor
__ toilet paper
__ _____________
__ _____________ Shelter and Bedding (optionals)
__ book
__ cot
__ comforter
__ throw rug
__ pillow

Cooking and Dining (optionals)
__ charcoal chimney
__ smoker
__ Dutch oven
__ hot dog sticks
__ pie irons
__ chairs
__ folding table
__ table cloth
__ butane lighter
__ screen room

Cleaning Items
__ broom
__ dust pan
__ whisk broom
__ lawn rake
__ dish pan
__ detergent
__ dish rags
__ ppt scrubber

First Aid Kit
__ personal medication
__ bandages
__ aspirin, Tylenol
__ medical tape
__ sterile gauze
__ elastic wrap
__ antiseptic wipes
__ antibiotic cream
__ burn ointment
__ sunburn lotion
__ hydrogen peroxide
__ scissors
__ tweezers
__ eye wash
__ sanitary napkins
__ snake bite kit Chuck Box
__ salt and pepper
__ herbs and spices
__ cooking oil
__ pot holders
__ paper towels
__ napkins
__ plastic trash bags
__ tongs and spatula
__ aluminum foil
__ measuring cups
__ plastic silverware
__ paper plates/bowls
__ plastic cups
__ zip lock bags
__ knives
__ cutting board
__ cork screw

Miscellaneous Items
__ binoculars
__ bird guide
__ bug spray
__ bungi cords
__ camera
__ candles
__ cards, games
__ cell phone
__ clothes pins
__ compass
__ duct tape
__ fishing gear
__ flashlight
__ frisbee
__ GPS
__ kites
__ knife
__ lantern
__ matches
__ pen and paper
__ rope
__ shower bag
__ sun block
__ tools
__ water filters
__ whistle
__ _____________
__ _____________

happycats
April 6th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Oh Daisy's owner, I see your a Pro, your list is great !!
It's even alphatabetical !! Are you a Virgo by any chance?

Daisy's Owner
April 6th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Oh Daisy's owner, I see your a Pro, your list is great !!
It's even alphatabetical !! Are you a Virgo by any chance?

BWWAAAHAAAA. No, but I have been camping for years, and learned a very very long time ago, that without a list you will undoubtedly forget something.

I also can't take credit for this list. Although I have been using it, I did pull it off the internet a few years ago. Maybe they were a Virgo.

ETA: I have a 53 page Word document filled with camping tips, activities, recipes, lists etc, that I have gathered off the internet over the years. I Luvs camping.

Princesss04
April 6th, 2005, 01:14 PM
WOW thanks guys do you mind if I print these off? Thank you all so much for all your help. :D

raingirl
April 6th, 2005, 01:38 PM
I love camping! We were thinking we might do a short (1 or 2 night) trip with Odin this summer.

What do you guys do with your dogs when you sleep (for those of us with tents.

I was thinking he might be the most comfortable just sleeping in the car...or should we put his crate in our tent and let him sleep there (but he might get cold)

Princesss04
April 6th, 2005, 01:56 PM
That is what I was wondering as well. Should I take Meater and Chino with us or should I find someone to take care of them? :D

Daisy's Owner
April 6th, 2005, 02:10 PM
That is what I was wondering as well. Should I take Meater and Chino with us or should I find someone to take care of them? :D

Take them with you. They will have a blast. I can't wait til we take Daisy this year. We've graduated to a trailer, so we will have a crate for her in the trailer.

You could put a crate in a tent with some blankets. I have seen some people keep their dogs in their crates in their cars. I guess it would depend on what you wanted. They could snuggle in your sleeping bags too.

raingirl
April 6th, 2005, 02:13 PM
I'd have no prob having Odin with us in the sleeping bag, except that I would be afraid he might get freaked out by noises outside the tent and might try and get out at night.

Princesss04
April 6th, 2005, 02:41 PM
I think I will take the boys as I think they will have ALOT of fun! They love to be in the park and outdoors. So I think they will have a good time. I will have to take alot of pictures. :D

happycats
April 6th, 2005, 06:42 PM
be careful where you camp with dogs, as some campgrounds have very strict dog rules, and even rules in general. I would suggest you call or check out campgrounds on the internet first to find out.
Also alot of trailer parks offer camping as well. and are usually privately run, so may not be as strict.

Prin
April 6th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Cleaning Items
__ broom
__ dust pan
__ whisk broom
__ lawn rake
__ dish pan
__ detergent
__ dish rags
__ ppt scrubber
No offense Daisy's owner but I'm not going camping with you!!! I agree with the dish soap and rags but that's about it. You're ruffin' it, not doing park maintenance (at least I won't be...)

Daisy's Owner
April 6th, 2005, 08:12 PM
First of all. Sheesh, I hate my nic. Blech. I have added a signature to correct that.

Second of all. Prin. HA HA! The sad part is I take all of that except the rake, yea, that is a bit much. Really you picked this bunch? Except for the whisk broom and the rake, these are my must haves.

Cleaning Items
__ broom - Gotta sweep out the tent.
__ dust pan - Gotta pick it up. You can't get it all out over the lip of the door.
__ whisk broom - This is just a little less awkward than a full size broom.
__ lawn rake - I can't even figure out what I would use this for if I did bring one.
__ dish pan - Use this to store your dishes when they are dry and to hold them soaking, while you are soaking in the sun drinking a beer.
__ detergent - self explanatory
__ dish rags - self explanatory
__ pot scrubber - for that caked on bbq mess. But as a side note, if you put dish detergent on the outside of your pots before cooking, the singe comes off alot easier.

Sneaky2006
April 6th, 2005, 08:18 PM
That is quite a list, and I'm going to print it too!
I love camping, we've only been camping a few times while on our own, but I used to every single summer with my parents.

Not sure what a wisk broom is but the only thing on that list I wouldn't take is the rake... everything else is a must!

Stuff for washing dishes of course, but the dust pan and broom for cleaning out the tent!

One thing I didn't see... maybe it was there, extra batteries for the flashlights! Needless to say ours died one year, that's one thing I will never forget, try getting to the toilet in the dark, I actually sprained my ankle by stepping into a huge hole that I probably would've seen if it were lit up!

Prin
April 6th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Here is my version:
Cleaning Items
__ broom - Use your hands/socks
__ dust pan - unpeg the two front pegs and lift the tent up a bit before the door and the dirt will fall out
__ whisk broom - Again, all you need is a good dirty pair of socks...
__ lawn rake - Kick the stuff with your feet
__ dish pan - This one is ok, if you have the room
__ detergent - I agree
__ dish rags - I agree
__ pot scrubber - ya scrub at home. This is vacation, you're going to burn the pots over and over, that's a lot of scrubbin'. I say have fun while you're out and scrub when you get back to the everyday cr*p...

I guess I'm just used to ruffin' it because we drove everywhere and didn't have long vacations...

By the way, a good tip is that you have to always bring 2 more pairs of socks than you think you need and maybe a couple of underwear too. Nothing is fun like not having dry socks on the second to last day camping... :rolleyes:

Daisy's Owner
April 7th, 2005, 05:55 AM
A whisk broom...

http://images.google.ca/images?q=tbn:IlwjilKCJjEJ:www.sanitarysupplyco.com/86010005.gif

BMDLuver
April 7th, 2005, 06:21 AM
I'm like Daisy's owner, I make a huge list, check it all off and bring anything I think I might need. Can never be too prepared, lol. Besides, everytime we have gone camping with a gang, we've been the only one's to have something everyone needed at one point or another.

When you asked about the dog's it made me giggle at the memories. Our first dog experience was with my spaniel/terrier mix and my husband's family golden. We had this great Queensize air mattress. Well, needless to say, within hours of us inflating it the golden had punctured it trying to nap on it.

The second experience was shortly before our wedding and we were in Maine camping. We woke up in the middle of the night to the tent laying on top of us, we were soaking wet and the spaniel/terrier was howling to beat the band. Apparently we had caught the tail end of a hurricane. We abandoned camp for the car and found a cabin in the morning that accepted dogs.

The third experience was at a horse show and it was so darn cold in the tent that we slept in the car. Two adults reclined in the bucket seats and our Collie/Husky laying between with a pillow to make her comfortable. The first of the gang got the scare of her life when she woke up and three heads popped up to greet her.

Many fond memories of camping with our canine friends. Remember, if you are going camping somewhere that has fishing, make sure your dog doesn't roll in dead fish as it's a smell you won't soon forget nor will your camping gear! :thumbs up

Eleni
April 7th, 2005, 06:42 AM
I take a rake camping with me, I use it to dislodge and rocks, sticks etc, before i set up the tent.

nothing is worse then setting up your tent and eventually going to bed and realising your laying on a monster rock.

im pretty detail oriented as well.

Eleni

Shamrock
April 7th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Great lists! Havent been camping for many moons, but I learned the hard way you gotta itemize.
BMD Luver, I really liked your camping memories!:)

Daisy's Owner
April 7th, 2005, 12:52 PM
I take a rake camping with me, I use it to dislodge and rocks, sticks etc, before i set up the tent.

Eleni

AHA! That makes sense. What if you dislodge a large rock, do you fill in the hole with some dirt or does the tent and sleeping bags pretty much take care of the hole?

Eleni
April 7th, 2005, 12:55 PM
yep:)
i kick some dirt into it

Eleni

Princesss04
April 7th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Wow! Guys we need to meet up and all go camping with our babies. How fun would that be. :D