Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Where are the gentle kind stories?

marko
April 6th, 2005, 06:02 AM
People are free to post all types of animal related news.

But on a pet lovers forum like this one, WHY are 90%+ of the posts in this category tragedies.

Why must people keep posting horrific stories? There will always be psycopaths that abuse animals...but why do they need to grab the headlines.

I'd like to see an effort made to post more positive stories in this category.

Surely there is GOOD news out there. Surely there are animal heros and human heros whose stories are inspiring.....

BMDLuver
April 6th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Thanks Marko. You posted what I have been feeling but I thought it was just me. Being in rescue we are on all sorts of boards and hear of the cruelty of mankind to animals several times a day. It is sickening and disheartening to hear them once but to constantly hear horrific one's makes you question if you are even making a dent in helping animals. This is not to say that public knowledge is not extremely important but to ask that we have a few more positive ones to counteract the atrocious ones. Thanks.

heidiho
April 6th, 2005, 12:15 PM
I think i have posted alot of happy ending stories in the pet article section,there are just so many more horror stories then good

happycats
April 6th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Good point Marko, I know there are alot of good animal stories out there.
I know I posted one about my friends dog Coconut saving her life!

Anyone else ever watch that show Animal miracles??
Allen thicke is in it, some of the stories are so heart warming and amazing, and it shows how truly amazing and wonderful animals really are!!

heidiho
April 6th, 2005, 12:40 PM
The little dog that was found with his ears and tail brutally cut off went home with his new family today.

3TV
Cubby hangs out with his new moms, Georgeanne Soberay and Marci Smith.
The little Border collie-Lab mix, now named Cubby, was discovered March 1 following some children to school near 83rd Avenue and Indian School Road.

Four weeks and a lot of TLC later, Cubby was ready for a new family.

"He has just blossomed into a very happy, healthy little dog," said Kim Noetzel of the Arizona Humane Society.

To help find the perfect home for Cubby, AHS launched an essay contest. Of the 25 essays submitted, the one that caught the eye of the judges was from a 7-year-old Border collie belonging to Marci Smith and Georgeanne Soberay.

In her essay, Sophie talked about her mommies, her brother Guinness (a 2 1/2-year-old cattle dog mix) and the wonderful home that was just waiting for Cubby.

Related stories

Write Cubby home

Puppy found with ears, tail cut off
"Our Moms told Guinness and I that someone wasn’t very nice to you and that you needed a stable, loving home -- well buddy, this is the place for you," the essay said.

Sophie's essay really hit home with the judges at the AHS, and they decided Smith and Soberay would be perfect for the little dog that got such a rough start in life.

"Dogs are a big part of our lives," said Smith as she and Soberay picked up Cubby this morning.

"Georgeanne and Marci exhibited so much compassion for him and also proved themselves to be extremely responsible caretakers," said AHS President and Chief Executive Officer Cheryl Naumann in a news release.

"I see him getting a lifetime of unconditional love," Noetzel said.

There is still a reward leading to the arrest and conivction of Cubby's abuser. If you have any information, call (480) WITNESS (948-6377) or 1-800-343-TIPS (8477).

This text is invisible on the page, but this text is affected by the invisible item's flow. This text is invisible on the page, but this text is affected by the invisible item's flow.
Interactive

Sound off: Discuss this story

Stay in touch: Free Breaking News e-mails

twinmommy
April 6th, 2005, 12:56 PM
I agree that things can be a little dismal here...not to say that we should turn a blind eye, but sometimes the lines between realism, pessimism, cynicism, and depression are all too crossed and overlapping depending on one's various moods.

What would you think about a new forum, say we call it the "Ren & Stimpy thread" (lol "happy happy, joy joy!! :D ) posting ONLY positive info.

All the pycho stuff, the ear choppings, the pregnant cats, the dog carcasses could be immediately locked. Sorry if that's asking the mods to work even harder--you guys work hard enough.!!

Princesss04
April 6th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Thanks Marko it has really been bothering me as well. I mean why is it people want to post all kinds of bad stories from the news all the time. It really bothers me as well. Thanks for saying something I thought it was just me. :D

Shamrock
April 6th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Marko, that is a very good point you bring to our attention.
Certainly there's many kind and gentle stories out there, but the shocking ones make the news far more often, dont they? We see this imbalance reflected here.
Like many, I generally avoid most topics I know in advance will be disturbing.

It would be nice though to see more inspirational uplifiting stories that warm our hearts, rather than make our blood run cold.

chico2
April 6th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Marko,I generally do not read stories or look at pictures about animal-abuse,but I get a great rush reading about all our rescuers and their efforts in looking for and finding good homes for abandonned,abused animals...it's wonderful to see these animals in good homes.Slim and Xena just one wonderful example :D and several cats from Lucky Rescue,I wish we could see some more picks of"happily ever after" :love: