Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitty won't eat

Eric Kline
May 14th, 2003, 10:10 AM
Dear Doc,

My cat started refusing his regular food about 5 or 6 days ago. At first I thought it was that he was addicted to his treats, so we cut them out. But he would still not eat. So we let him have treats again and he ate them for a day or so. Then he stopped eatting them as well. I tried to get him to eat anything, so I gave him some tuna. He started eating that, but now doesn't even want that. He is also not drinking very much and has lost at least a few pounds. He was eating an S formula food, as he has had renal problems in the past. I am planning on taking him to the vet asap, but would still like some advice.

Thanks,

Eric

Catt31
May 17th, 2003, 10:08 AM
If my cat didn't eat for 5 or 6 days, I would have taken her to the vet THEN, not wait for an internet wanna-be vet to reply!! I feel for you, as I have had this problem in the past too!! My first action was the vet..ya, its expensive, but my cats are my kids and their health is as important as mine. It turned out my cat was fine, just a bit stressed out due to another cat who was living with me at the time. I don't regret paying to have that peace of mind though!!!:eek:

BrunosMom
May 19th, 2003, 08:24 AM
Eric, is your cat still going to the bathroom?

If I was you I'd take him to the vet

now

Eric Kline
May 20th, 2003, 12:49 AM
Thanks for your responses. Kitty went to the vet a few days ago.
Simple blood work was done, and it all came back normal. That was only $80ish. He still isn't eating, so I have to help him. The vet said that his teeth looked ok, and she did not feel a blockage.
I hope that it is a behavoral problem. We'll see.

Catt31
May 20th, 2003, 06:19 PM
Glad to hear kitty is better!! Hope she starts eating soon!!