Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Socializing an anti-dog-social dog

LittleLoves
April 5th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Hi everyone!

Just wanted some advice from the wise here.

My dog is 2 1/2 and soon to start obedience classes. I thought she was socialized. We got her when she was six months old, and my neighbor had two small dogs that she use to play with. We moved, and she found a new best friend. Still, she jumps up on the couch and aggressively barks (until they are out of sight) and scratches the screens at dogs that walk by and I've just had enough!! My ears hurt! ;)

A dog park just opened in my city this past Fall, and I'm wondering if that would be a good way to socialize her? She is absolutely fine off of a leash because she can get away, and seems to feel bigger, but on a leash she is out of control around bigger dogs.

Any advice on how to do this? Is a dog park a bad idea?

Thanks!

Beetlecat
April 5th, 2005, 09:25 PM
To me, if a dog will play with other dogs and can understand and 'talk' to them so they understand, then it's fine socially. Your dog seems to only get upset when it's restrained in some way. I'm wondering if this is less a socialization thing than a territory/dominence thing.

Prin
April 5th, 2005, 11:05 PM
My doggies yell and scream through fences and windows like they are going to kill the others but face to face there is no problem. Like they're all talk through stuff but in person they don't even try... You can only really tell when they are face to face. Your doggy might just not like dogs on his property.

Daisy's Owner
April 6th, 2005, 07:01 AM
I personally wouldn't do the dog park thing to socialize a dog, but I am sure after he's been socialized, it would be great. I just have this fear of some unsocialized dog running loose in a park. But I have fear of leash free parks in general.

What about a doggy day care. It is socialization in a controlled environment with professional people, and the other dogs have usually been well socialized as well.

LittleLoves
April 6th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Beetlecat and Prin, what you both said makes perfect sense. When we go walking, Lady doesn't bat an eye at the dogs who are sitting on their lawns. She only gets skittish (tail between the legs, ready to run at a moments notice) if a really bossy, big dog approaches us and towers over her. Perhaps it is just our property. :rolleyes:

Daisy's Owner, doggy daycare? :) I've not thought of that one, but that might work. I'll talk to her trainer to see what he thinks. Oh, and I've never heard of a dog park until recently, so I don't know much about them. I feel a little nervous at the idea that anyone's dog could just come up and take a snip at my butt if they are not friendly dogs.

I'm thinking of taking Lady to the dog park when it's empty, or only contains one dog. Then I'll work her up to two or three.

Thanks a lot folks!

Kayla and Me
April 6th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Hi everyone!

Still, she jumps up on the couch and aggressively barks (until they are out of sight) and scratches the screens at dogs that walk by and I've just had enough!! My ears hurt! ;)

Thanks!

I can relate to this one. Kayla, my pitbull started doing the same thing about a month ago. She'd run between the front of the house and the back of the house barking at anything she could see. Unfortunately, I live in a house that backs onto a park and school yard. Can you imagine how much barking I had to endure? So....I called in the experts. Bark Busters! First thing she said was that Kayla was treating everything that she could see as her territory and we had to reduce the territory, which meant no more jumping on the furniture for vantage points. Some of it I just moved away from the windows. Then they armed me with a spray bottle of water, and any time she jumps up and starts barking, she gets a squirt and a command. The behaviour problem was corrected in about 30 mins. It will probably have to be reinforced again today, but eventually it will all sink in if I am consistent.
BTW....it also worked fabulously when I took her for a walk and wanted to stop her from pulling on the leash to try to run after squirrels, dogs, kids, leaves, birds, the wind...etc etc.

Kayla and Me

raingirl
April 6th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Just something I thought I would post. Our trainer/behaviourist says to never let your dogs be able to see outside the house through windows our fences. It actually causes agression, and can make them unsocialized. What a dog learns is that when people/dogs walk close to the house and they bark, and the people/dogs keep walking, they learn that their barking is making them go away. Then what happens is when they are outside the house (and as you said on leash) they think the same thing. They think their barking should make people go away, and if it doesn't work, they get aggresive.

Try and make it so your dog can't see out of any windows or doors (pull blinds, move things that he/she can climb on). That should help, and then consult with your trainer about it when they start obedience school.

LittleLoves
April 6th, 2005, 09:56 AM
You all are great! :)

Kayla and Me, that is MY dog! She runs barking and crying back and forth from the living room to the kitchen. Fortunately, the only room she can see people/dogs from is the front. The furniture thing (as in, don't let her on it) was recommended to me by a trainer I spoke with over the phone (and we are working on that one) as well as the spray bottle. We've been spraying her for 1 year and she doesn't care! :rolleyes:

Raingirl, I think I'm going to tape some cardboard to the bottom half of the windows so she can't see. :evil:

Thanks for all of your help!

Chantelle