Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Weimaraner

poodletalk
April 5th, 2005, 03:18 PM
I have a family in BC who would like to adopt a purebreed Weimaraner pup.
Can anyone tell me of any rescue groups for this type of dog? If they must, they will go to a breeder, but the breeder must come highly recommended.

BMDLuver
April 5th, 2005, 03:27 PM
http://www.weimaranercanada.org/rescue/index.htm

There are BC contacts on this page.

Prin
April 5th, 2005, 04:13 PM
I hope they know how stubborn Weims are... Very independent thinkers...

poodletalk
April 5th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Yes, they are aware.That is why they want a pup. Put him or her in training right away.

SnowDancer
April 5th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Hope your friends know that this breed frequently has Separation Anxiety. I have recently met 3 of these dogs - they are in socialization with my Eskimo -my first ever dog with SA. Didn't see this coming.

SpanielLuver
April 6th, 2005, 04:22 PM
I have a family who just adopted Hannah that have a Weimaraner, she is 1 1/2 years old, they got her in England and brought her with her when they tranferred. She has been through 6 weeks of training with Larry at Tri-L in Hudson, and even he shook his head and we all go to him with problem dogs. She has eaten the dining room chairs, couches, etc. Lovely dog, but activity level through the roof, even Hannah has too go inside for a break. The family are extremely patience and accept her as is, but I can see that if a family was no so patient how these dogs could get passed from home to home. I hope the guy knows what he is getting into. A family on my street also had one, around the same age and he was exactly the same and he suddenly disappeared one day. I don't think getting one as a pup, makes any difference even with the training. I was exhausted after an hour with her, lol. But she is super friendly and just loves to go, go, go.

Lise
April 11th, 2005, 08:01 AM
My parents had a weim who had severe separation,he ate chairs,tables,couches and even a wall.They lost him with epilepsy,when his seizures could no longer be controlled with medication.They are now looking for another one!They really are wonderful dogs.The funniest was when he destoyed a feather duvet,it looked like it had snowed and there was Simba sitting in the middle with feathers stuck to his nose.