Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My puppy doesn't like his leash or walks?

yviej
April 5th, 2005, 11:50 AM
I'm not sure if this should be in the training forum but here goes:

We just got our Papi a leash this weekend but he doesn't seem to like it too much. I know he probably needs to get use to it so I don't have a problem with that. But when I wanted to take him for a walk last night, he would sit and not budge. I would tug on the leash a little bit to signal for him to follow me and also asking him to follow at the same time but he just wouldn't move. :confused:

I really don't want to pull him because I don't want to hurt him but is there anything I can do to get him to take a walk with me? Please help.

Eleni
April 5th, 2005, 11:54 AM
as far as I know its not unusual for a pup to initially not like their leash, I wouldnt suggest pulling him, but at first enticing him along with a treat and lots of praise until he becomes acustomed to the leash.

im sure others with more advice will post but that is about all i know about it\

Eleni

Avocado
April 5th, 2005, 12:10 PM
dogs are not born knowing how to walk on a leash... i think your pup just needs some time to get used to the idea and a little bit of guidance. we had to coax my homer with treats his first couple of walks. we worked on this quite a bit in puppy class as well... are you planning on taking your pup to an obedience school? i would advise against pulling as this usually just makes puppy resist even more.

mafiaprincess
April 5th, 2005, 12:13 PM
How old is your pup?

I wouldn't suggest pulling on the leash. On top of potentially hurting your puppy, you will eventually teach your dog to pull, rather than 'walk nicely'.

Eleni's suggestion of a treat is a good one. New pups need to be taught to walk on a leash, and if yours is apprehensive, you may want to attatch the leash in the house and let it drag the leash around for a while to get accustomed to it. *under supervision of course*

Beaglemom
April 5th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Tugging on the leash puts strain on the puppy's neck and like the others said, could hurt your puppy. Also, it could teach your pup to resist you when on the leash.

Like mafiaprincess said, let your pup walk around the house with the leash and while being supervised. Have a play session and offer lots of praise and some treats.

Eventually your puppy will grow to like the leash because he will associate only good things while he wears it.

GWPsRock
April 5th, 2005, 12:36 PM
try dropping treats beside you as you walk....maybe start in the house first....your puppy will happily follow the treat trail and get used to the leash....

vivilee
April 5th, 2005, 07:13 PM
My dog did this as well. It is fear-based and a way of being really stubborn. My dog wouldn't budge and she would sit like that for HOURS with the leash on. She wouldn't even eat.

It's tough love. Keep the leash on her and ignore her behaviour until she gets used to it...don't pull on the leash no matter what it will scare him more. I learned the hard way.

Just let him get used to it, and don't take him for normal leash walks just carry him around and keep him in enclosed areas if you can until he gets used to dragging the leash around. Keep it very positive or else you'll scare the bejesus out of your dog and you'll end up with a dog that hates leashes altogether.

Trinitie
April 6th, 2005, 09:18 AM
This question could either go in the training forum or here. Both places seem ok for this question.

Training a puppy on a leash can be very difficult with some dogs, but easy with others. While under constant supervision, let your pup drag the leash around, as others have mentioned. This gets the pup used to the weight on the neck and seeing the leash in general. When you put the leash on, make it fun for the pup. Put the leash on, and then fuss up the pup with one of it's favorite toys.

Eventually the pup will learn that the leash is a good thing and won't shy away from you when you go to attach it.
Do not gently tug at the pup's leash as this tells it that it doesn't have to move if it doesn't want to. It may take a long while to get the pup used to wearing a leash, but it will happen eventually.

You didn't mention how old the pup was, so I'm not sure if it may be just an age thing or not. Just remember, all pups go through fear stages, and this may be the beginning of one. Try to make it as fun as possible, and get used to the idea that it may take time.

I hope this help!

Trinitie
April 6th, 2005, 09:20 AM
try dropping treats beside you as you walk....maybe start in the house first....your puppy will happily follow the treat trail and get used to the leash....

I wouldn't do this as it trains the pup that it's ok to pick things up and eat them while it's walking. As the dog matures, it could be a dangerous habit when walking on the public street.

Now, holding a treat in your hand would be ok, as it's learning that the treats must come from you, not the ground.

Gripenfelter
April 6th, 2005, 09:39 AM
I let my puppy drag his leash around the house while connected to his collar for about an hour at a time. He usually spent most of that hour sitting but it helped. It got him used to the leash a lot faster. He screamed like I was killing him for the first few minutes of the walk when I tried to lead him and then he started walking 10 feet and stopping but he got a lot better after about a week.

yviej
April 7th, 2005, 11:38 AM
aww.. thanks guys !! All of your suggestions are really helpful. I will try them and be really patient.

BTW, he just turned 14 weeks so, I hope this is just a stage.

Once again, thank you all for your help.

Loraxp
April 7th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Something we learned at the Kennel Club was "Let's Go!!!". You say it in a high happy voice with a treat in you hand (standing up), back to the dog. You can call his/her name (assuming the dog knows their name) then "Let's Go!!!". It is transferrable to the dog as he/she ages and you are walking them outside - if they stop to sniff you give the command and they'll come running.

This REALLY works well! We have just trained our 3rd baby in this manner (a 13wk old dachshund!!)! :D

One last tid bit - if your dog still needs any shots DO NOT take it for walks in public places. It' could pick up Parvo or some other pathogen and become deathly ill.

Dahlia
April 7th, 2005, 07:43 PM
My puppy is just stubborn. She will walk just fine on the leash when we go out but when it's time to come in she sits down or lays down on her back. Sometimes I'll be walking along with her beside me, then feel a little tension on the leash and when I look down she's dragging along behind me on her back. I stop and coax her to get up but then she'll just take the leash in her mouth and try to pull me. I hope she's just being playful, but a lot of times it seems like she's trying to be the boss. She's just a beagle!

kandy
April 8th, 2005, 11:53 AM
One of my dogs hated her leash - she would lay down and scream like you were beating her to death when you attached it her collar. Since she was a stray when we took her in, I assumed that the leash had some negative issues associated with it, so I didn't use one for a long time. I had a fabric leash that doesn't attach to the collar, you just make a loop and put it over their head and I tried that leash on her instead of the chain leash that attached to her collar. She would walk along just fine with the fabric one - never protested at all. I tested it to make sure that she hadn't just outgrown the fear of the other leash, and she would revert to the old behavior with any leash that attached to her collar, but the fabric one never bothered her. If your pup can't stand the type that hooks on the collar, maybe you could try the other kind. Just a thought :rolleyes:

Loraxp
April 8th, 2005, 02:58 PM
... I stop and coax her to get up but then she'll just take the leash in her mouth and try to pull me. I hope she's just being playful, but a lot of times it seems like she's trying to be the boss. She's just a beagle!

This IS a sign of her trying to be the boss. She sees the leash as an extention of your arm, and in her mind she is biting YOU!

The best way to by-pass this is: when she takes the leash in her mouth you take it on either side and unplesantly push it to the back of her mouth (like a bit in a horse's mouth), and firmly say "NO BITE". You should only have to do this a few times before she gives it up (I got this from the t.v. guy - Dr. Corran [?sp?] - and it has worked wonders!!) :thumbs up .