Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

4 year old walks her pit bull at 4 am this morning!

Luvmypit
April 5th, 2005, 10:53 AM
A little girl took her dog for a walk at 3 am this morning. They called it a dog because she didn't eat the little girl. But ofcourse if this was about a dog biting it would be PIT BULL PIT BULL. What a bunch of bull. You know it goes to show that these vicous dogs can be walked by a 4 year old. Just read the story you can see that the doggy was definately a pit bull. A nice one who allows a 4 year old to walk her. The video was nice because you see the little girl standing with police as she pet her dog.

http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20050405-003/page.asp

bluntman
April 5th, 2005, 11:27 AM
I saw it on B.T, this morning, I was a little ticked, it was the first time I'd ever seen a staffie/pit on T.V being referd to as just a "Dog". I guess they did'nt want to show people that this is how 99.99% of pit bulls really are, just normal loveing family pets. Good thing it had a happy ending, as uwfull as it was haveing a 4 year old out in the night, at least she had the dog to help keep her out of harm's way until help arrived.

babyrocky1
April 5th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Ive written them an Email but I cabnt send it just yet, technicl difficulties!

sammiec
April 5th, 2005, 11:44 AM
I just sent them a little email saying that I was glad to hear that the little girl was safe and that it's a real shame they only mention that the dog is a pit bull when it's a "bad news" story....

babyrocky1
April 5th, 2005, 12:04 PM
I sent mine, thanking them for being good to us previously, but expressing the same sentiment as every one else. I also said that from the picture we can tell it is a "pit bull type dog" but as they themselves have proven, the general public, especially certain politicians cant, so the words Pit bull type dog should have been there. they would have been if the child had been bitten!

Safyre
April 5th, 2005, 12:29 PM
email sent

Luvmypit
April 5th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Sent mine also. When I saw it this morning that is the first thing I thought. Why the heck is it now a dog. ATleast people can look and go wow a pit bull allowed a 4 year old to walk her. I mean In my eyes that speaks volumes. You can see the both of them look very happy together. You can tell the pit is a gentle soul.

Beaglemom
April 5th, 2005, 01:56 PM
We watch BT every morning and when I saw this report I was really ticked off for the same reasons as expressed above. In fact my husband and I both had this very discussion as to how we were both disgusted by the fact that the reporters had a perfect opportunity to let the public know that this was in fact a pit bull and it was standing there next to this little girl very calm and obedient. It wasn't aggressive or didn't try to attack her or anyone else for that matter as is what alot of ignorant people think it would have done.

If the story had been about a dog attack, then it would have been identified as a pit bull, not just "a dog"!

This is just one example as to how the media is just one of the reasons there is a paranoia about the bully breeds as well as some others.

Luvmypit
April 5th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Well said beagles mom

As I was reading your reply I heard the rundown for tonites news on Pulse24 (City TV news) . They talked about the girl and the dog. Now lets see if on the 6'clock after all our emails they mention the breed.

Cross your fingers! every positive news story helps.
There is also some nice video of her petting her as the cop held the leash. Very docile girl!

tcreed
April 5th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Hey all, Do I recognize those names from the Chazhound room?!!!

;)

Copper'sMom
April 5th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Well all! I must be having an optomistic day today because even though this story didn't mention it was a Pit Bull, I still thought it was great this story aired and they showed the dog. You may ask why???

Most of society isn't educated when it comes to dogs and what breeds they are especially these days because automatically any big dog is a pit bull anyway(even if it is actually a lab!). Also if you have a halti on your dog, people also think it is a muzzle so your dog is obviously mean. Right?? So I thought, when people see this dog, they will start wondering or making assumptions on what the dog is. **Sarcasim** She's big, and OMG she has a chain around her neck and only big, mean dogs have chains around their necks so she must be a Pit Bull!! What the hell is that little girl doing with a Pit Bull?? OMG she must be a crack baby and her momma is an addict!! **done**

I also thought it was great because the cops were holding the dog's leash and the dog was super calm!! Yes I was a little disappointed that they didn't mention the breed but I figured "hey, society knows best so they'll know it's a Pit" But don't get me wrong, I totally understand your points that if it was a dog attack involving a poodle, that poodle would most likely be a Pit Bull!

This is just my opinion. Am I totally off the wall???

seeker
April 5th, 2005, 06:45 PM
I saw it this morning too and was not surprised they didn't mention it was a pitbull Type dog .
I wonder if it had only been the dog out on the loose by itself it would have definetly been called a pitbull and the police being unable to control the dog likely would have shot it dead. I suppose with the little girl at the end of the lead in obvious control of this "menace to society" there was no need to call the swat team.
I am a little ticked that I had no time until now to email anyone but was happy to see that all of you had done so before it was old news.

babyrocky1
April 5th, 2005, 06:49 PM
I called them from work because I called from home and couldn't get through. Im hoping cause others were calling about the same issue! I do think the story was still good. Alot of people wont know it was a pit bull but then alot of people will. May be by the eleven oclock report it will be a pit bull. Keep at them every one. What about other stations? did anyone here or see any other coverage?

Writing4Fun
April 5th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Maybe I'm just a wierdo who notices strange things, but when I read this story, I immediately wondered where the dog's ID tags were (would have made it a lot easier to find the child's home if she'd had them on, no?). Mandatory microchipping would have come in handy here, too. :p

Did anyone else notice the dog's prominent nipples? Does that mean she was bred before (I have no idea about these types of things)? A little off-topic, I know, but it's just another of those wierd details that I noticed.

Copper'sMom
April 5th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Did anyone else notice the dog's prominent nipples? Does that mean she was bred before (I have no idea about these types of things)? A little off-topic, I know, but it's just another of those wierd details that I noticed.

Yep! That was probably one of the first things I noticed! Poor girl.

glasslass
April 5th, 2005, 08:16 PM
LOL! I thought it was a male dog! Opps!
Why didn't they carry the story a bit further to identify the dog and point out that it stayed right with her, no doubt protectively, when she could easily have gotten loose? Who knows what would have happened to the child if the dog hadn't been with her!

seeker
April 5th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Who knows what would have happened to the child if the dog hadn't been with her![/QUOTE]

That was one of my first thoughts when I seen it was a pitbull.Too bad the media didn't give the breed a little good press , it was so obvious that they were downplaying what breed the dog was. We all have heard many dog related stories lately and how many of them just refer to the dog as a dog. They almost always point out the breed. Correct me if I am wrong.