Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog chasing Cats

BeagleMum
April 5th, 2005, 07:28 AM
How can I get Spencer (4.5 month old beagle) to stop chasing my cats? When he catches then he just bites what ever he can, usually the tail. I think that he is just playing but I would really like for them to get along. I see so many pictures of cats and dogs sleeping together. That would never happen at my house unless the dog was sleeping with the cat in his mouth. ;)

Eleni
April 5th, 2005, 07:31 AM
does he sit on command?

my Sam is about the same age as your lil one and he was chasing the cats as well.

once he got sit down pat when he takes chase after the cats I yell sit!
when he does i give him pets and cuddles. By that time hes forgotten the cat

I also have part of the house gated off so he cant go there, that way the cats have sanctuary from him.

However Ive found yelling sit to him is the most effective, as long as i keep praising him when he obeys he does it, pettign and attention seems to be far more enjoyable then a swip on the nose from an annoyed cat hehe

good luck!

Eleni

Lucky Rescue
April 5th, 2005, 10:38 AM
They will never get along as long as you allow the dog to chase and bite the cats!

Do not allow him to chase them - ever. This could cause serious problems if the cats decide to retaliate, or get so stressed that they start avoiding the litterbox.

Make sure the cats have a "safe" place - a room that is gated so the puppy can't get in.

Keep him on leash when the cats come out. If he starts to lunge, correct him and say "NO CATS". The instant he looks at you, praise him and give him a treat. This will teach him that ignoring the cats gets better results than chasing them.

By allowing him to chase them, now it'll take a very long time to get them to get along since the cats have decided the dog is dangerous.

Daisy's Owner
April 5th, 2005, 11:34 AM
We have the same problem, unfortunately in our case 75% of the time, the cat is the instigator. He will pester Daisy, until Daisy fights back and then Bubbles takes off like a bat out of hell, and jumps to the top of the fridge, and then taunts Daisy from her perch.

Eleni
April 5th, 2005, 11:35 AM
the cat can be stopped by a spray bottle.

Eleni

BeagleMum
April 5th, 2005, 12:31 PM
I have mixed feelings on the whole situation. It bothers me that Spencer is always chasing the cats but at the same time, it is funny to see him tackle them down. I mean, the cats are stupid enough to sit where he can get them. We have the stairs blocked off so the cats can get away from him but they still choose to walk right by him or sit a few feet away. Like he won’t react…..

And, I have caught the cat instigating him so what can I say when they are asking for it?

happycats
April 5th, 2005, 12:38 PM
If you don't do something about it now, The dog will eventually KILL the cat !! (does the cat deserve to die, beause it "instigated" it?!)
What if a small child "instigates" it ? Not training him could pose very serious problems. He needs to know that you are boss, and when you say "LEAVE IT"
He needs to listen.

Eleni
April 5th, 2005, 01:09 PM
I agree happycats

Eleni

BeagleMum
April 5th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Well, I personally think that you might be over reacting just a bit. Spencer is a beagle who is actually smaller than the cat. Believe me, my cats are tough, you should see the way that they wrestle with each other. Anyways, when Spencer gets on their back, it's not like be bites them hard, more just a nibble. He isn't attacking them or trying to hurt them, he's just playing. They just don't want to play back.

Daisy's Owner
April 5th, 2005, 02:38 PM
What if a small child "instigates" it ?

There is a HUGE difference between a cat and a child. We are supposed to teach our dogs that human skin is the biggest NO NO there is. Aren't we?