Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

teaching a dog not to bark

jiorji
April 4th, 2005, 10:43 PM
can happy barking dogs be successfully trained??

Sneaky2006
April 5th, 2005, 07:53 AM
I'd like to know the answer to that also... Yukon barks if he's outside longer than a minute and I'm always right there to let him in because of the whole neighbor thing. I'm thinking, he barks, we do as he wants... that can't be good.
Although I don't know if this falls under happy barking.

Gripenfelter
April 5th, 2005, 08:35 AM
I would recommend doing the OPPOSITE of what my inlaws did with their cocker spaniel.

They always gave their dog attention when it barked or whined. She also barks at foreign objects and strangers. When they have guests over, she sometimes barks till she pukes.

There is a Norweigan Elkhound in my puppy's obedience class that barks. The owner shushes the dog and when the dog stops barking she gives him a treat if he stops for more than a few seconds. He's slowly getting better and barking less and less.

Trinitie
April 5th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Training a dog to not bark in the back yard is very difficult. Most dogs will bark as soon as their paws hit the ground to warn people, and other animals, that they're patrolling their property now.
If you consistently let a dog bark, it's being trained that it's ok. (my neighbors accross the lane have two VERY yappy dogs - all evening long - yap!)
It is possible to train a dog that when it barks, that means "I want to come in now". It's long and tedious work, but it can be done. Each time the dog barks, say "You wanna come in? Ok" Bring the dog in. Put the dog out, and when it starts barking again, bring it in. Keep doing this, no matter how long the dog has been outside. I've done it, and it works. Persistence is the only way to get this training to work. Deviate in the slightest, and the dog will think it's ok to bark again. Eventually you'll be able to leave your dog outside and know that the only time it'll bark is when it wants to come in.

I hope this helps!

Prin
April 5th, 2005, 10:22 AM
I've always taught a dog to bark and then stop. Like you teeach him to bark and then you say good dog and once he's mastered the bark, then you tell him to stop and good dog again when he stops.

Or, what I do with "hopeless" dogs at the dog park, is I loosely grab the muzzle, and say no barking. The first couple of times I interrupt, hold the muzzle and say no barking. THen you try to say no barking without holding the muzzle and if it doesn't work and the barking contiues, you grab again and say no barking. Not hard, I just put the thumb under the chin and even just one finger over the muzzle, just to hold it. Loose so they can still pant if they want to.

Eleni
April 5th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Or, what I do with "hopeless" dogs at the dog park, is I loosely grab the muzzle, and say no barking. The first couple of times I interrupt, hold the muzzle and say no barking. THen you try to say no barking without holding the muzzle and if it doesn't work and the barking contiues, you grab again and say no barking. Not hard, I just put the thumb under the chin and even just one finger over the muzzle, just to hold it. Loose so they can still pant if they want to.

dont the others dogs owners get upset with you, I dont know how dog parks generally go since i dont take sammy to one.

Im assuming that owners are responsible for their own pets. But honestly id get upset if someone grabbed sams muzzle. with the thinking its up to me to correct him, wich I do when necessary.

however that is a good idea tto stop barking, I may try to do that with my lil guy since he can be pretty hopeless when it comes to barking

Eleni

Safyre
April 5th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Sorta on the same line as Prin's suggestion.

In my obedience class with Justice, all the other dogs wanted to bark.. one would start, and they would join in. Justice, is quiet and sorta just watched everyone else.
The trainer showed people how to make the dogs stop barking, but it looked cruel to me.
When the dog barks, you 'smack' under his chin, making his mouth close. Tell him NO!. Supposedly this is how mother dogs get thier pus to stop inapproprate barking.
I will admit ,that with Meka last week, i did use this method, as I trust my trainer, and she didn't bark again the entire time we were outside.

There is different training methods depending on the situation the dog is barking in.

babyrocky1
April 5th, 2005, 11:56 AM
As Rocky is getting older he is much more vocal than he used to be. He is also becoming quite spoilt as we are now living alone together for the first time, so I guess I dont realise how in tuned I am to what he wants and he tends to get what ever he needs right away, but I digress. I know not to let him bark for attention from me, but he has taken to barking at everyone for attention. We live in a highly populated area, if he sees someone, even a stranger that he decides he would like to know helll start barking at them, some of these people are afraid of dogs! especially ones that look like "pit bulls" and have a very loud bark. I know hes supposed to sense fear but he is clueless. He thinks everyone loves him! If only that were true. But as you might imagaine, a "pit bull" barking at people is far from desirable these days!!! I have tried holding his muzzle, doesnt work with him. I have heard that the best way is t teach a "speak command" like the other post "teach to bark" but I havent been successful with it. I havent really kept at that method though beecause I havent heard much about how effective it is. Does anyone know about thismethod?

babyrocky1
April 5th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Im going to try your trainers method Safyr, thanks for the tip

Prin
April 5th, 2005, 02:56 PM
dont the others dogs owners get upset with you, I dont know how dog parks generally go since i dont take sammy to one.

No they don't. If you haven't been to a dog park, you probably don't know how little control people have over their dogs sometimes. I said "hopeless", because the owners just throw their hands up and give up. That's when I step in. Since I'm basically the only one who breaks up dog fights, people don't bother me about getting a bit of control on their dogs. If you have control over your dog at my park, I won't touch your dog. If you give up and stop caring about your dog's behavior, I step in. We get complaints about the barking from nearby residents and the city threatens to shut the park every time....

I don't really like the smack on the chin because you can get the tongue caught in the teeth and that hurts. Your dog will also learn to dodge you really quickly. When you grab loosely, the tongue is spared and it's harder to get away and easier to make eye contact and give a command.

I also don't recommend telling a dog to stop barking if it's for alerting purposes. For this they say you are supposed to go see what is wrong and tell the dog "everything is ok" and walk away. If you just tell the dog to be quiet in these cases, you put him and his instincts down when the doggy is just trying to help.

What have you not been successful with? THe teaching him to bark? If it's that, you just have to get him really excited a couple of times and as soon as there is one bark you stop and give a cookie. To make him shut up, you can grab the muzzle or just SHHH really loud and the shock of the funny noise should make him stop for a second for you to get the "Good boy" in there.

Shamrock
April 5th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Can you teach an old dog new tricks? ;) I'd love to spend some time getting my poodle's barking under better control. He is a yapper. I never leave him outside for more than a few minutes at a time because of this.. yet it seems now he thinks that what he is supposed to out there.

I've been watching the lady next door with her Sheltie pup.. and the "no-bark" command she's been using. I was very interested to see if she achieved results. I'd have to say its been unsuccessful, dogs almost a year now.

One unusual thing I've noticed about her dog. When we are talking together, her dog barks furiously as though trying to "over-talk" her voice. As soon as she begins to speak, dog barks... when she stops, silence.

Makes it darn hard to carry on a conversation, a "really" annoying habit that I have never seen before.

Safyre
April 5th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Prin - Getting the tongue crunched by the teeth was my fear too! Thats why i said it looked cruel. One of the owners in class was scared of that to, trainers response that it will almost never happen, because when they are barking, they don't have thier tongues wagging outta thier mouth ;)

Copper'sMom
April 5th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Sorry, no advice. Just a story :) I used to be a lucky girl! When Copper was a wee little pup(OMG he was sooooo cute!!!) he was such a quiet boy. When he started hanging out with other dogs, he was still quiet!! But as he grew, one day he discovered he could open his mouth and make noise!! He didn't bark alot, just to let me know he needed something or wanted to play. But then he started hanging out with my fiance's dog and when Sarge starts to bark, Copper has to bark! Sarge will bark if he hears the neighbours. Copper will stand in the wrong direction and just bark because the other dog is barking!! He's such a retard sometimes!! :p

Writing4Fun
April 5th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Prin - Getting the tongue crunched by the teeth was my fear too! Thats why i said it looked cruel. One of the owners in class was scared of that to, trainers response that it will almost never happen, because when they are barking, they don't have thier tongues wagging outta thier mouth ;)
Yes, and when I'm eating I don't make a habit of keeping my tongue between my teeth while I'm chewing, but I still manage to bite the sucker once in a while. ;) They might have their tongue positioned half way between a bark and a lick (since your hand is approaching) and it might get nicked in the process. Just not worth the risk, IMO.

Personally, I use the "Hush!" command, issued in a sort of "growl" (not a bark - that would defeat the purpose). You could throw in a hand signal for good measure.

Defintely, though, if Phoebe's giving a warning bark, I check out what she has to show me first, tell her it's ok, and then tell her to "hush" if she carries on.

HTH!

PS. Copper's Mom - that's a cute story. We refer to Phoebe as being "blonde" when she does anything like that (which is pretty frequently :p ).

Lucky Rescue
April 5th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Personally I taught my last dog the "Enough!"command and this did not involve any smacking or grabbing of the muzzle which is not necessary and which can result in a bite.

Here's a bunch of links on barking - I'm sure one of them will contain something helpful for you.
Barking (http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp/noise.htm)

Safyre
April 5th, 2005, 06:47 PM
[QUOTE=Writing4Fun]Yes, and when I'm eating I don't make a habit of keeping my tongue between my teeth while I'm chewing, but I still manage to bite the sucker once in a while. ;) They might have their tongue positioned half way between a bark and a lick (since your hand is approaching) and it might get nicked in the process. Just not worth the risk, IMO.
[QUOTE]
I was just saying what the trainer said to the person with the same concern.
I said before, I think it looks like a cruel way to get them to stop barking! It worked in training class for the other owners.. and worked with Meka. its all about what you feel comfortable with.

Writing4Fun
April 5th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Sorry! Did that sound like it was aimed at you? No, no. It was aimed at your instructor. It worked with Meka? I don't know about you, but I would not be returning to a trainer who encouraged me to smack my dog, no matter how lightly, or how much they assured me it doesn't hurt. Like you said, though, it's all about what you're comfortable with - just like choke or prong collars and invisible fences. I know I wouldn't appreciate having my chin slapped and my teeth clicking together like that (although I do wonder if it would work on my kids ... just kidding! :p ).

(BTW, that quote would have worked better if the closing one was [/QUOTE] - you were missing a forward-slash ;) ).

mona_b
April 5th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Personally I taught my last dog the "Enough!"command

Same here..... :thumbs up .And it worked like a charm..... :D

Yukon seemed to be more "vocal" then Tron.

Safyre
April 5th, 2005, 07:34 PM
I knew I was going to mess up that Quote... I always do when i try to quote people!
That was really the only thing that the instructor did that was upsetting/surprising to me. Everything else was straight forward. Really just enforcing the ideas I had read in books NILIF type training.
(although I do wonder if it would work on my kids ... just kidding! ). LOL the person Meka was barking at when I did that correction, she said the same thing! heheh

I just tell Justice 'no need!' and she stops.

muddymama
April 11th, 2005, 06:13 PM
hi, I have been reading your posts and I have a simular problem, I have a pom/poodle who is 1 year and barks at everthing inside or out including the wind and even her own shadow. I have tried "enough" "no barking" I have even tried one of those sonic trainers and I have gotten no where. Any suggestions?

Kayla and Me
April 11th, 2005, 09:52 PM
I went through this with Kayla recently. A spray bottle with water in it worked wonders. When she started barking, I'd give her a little squirt. It was enough to get her attention, then I'd tell her 'no bark'. She's good for about 20 mins. like that. Now I only have to hold the water bottle and she stops, even when she is outside and barking at anything that moves. My trainer said, it is about stopping her from thinking that everything she sees is 'her territory', and getting her attention.

She still loves her bath, and playing in water, so I'm pretty sure I haven't traumatized her with it. :)

Kayla and Me

muddymama
April 12th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Thank you, I will try that.

JennG
May 10th, 2005, 06:52 PM
We had a husky who would bark, but we trained him in a few days to stop. Every time he barked, we would put him out or bring him in-depending on which side of the door he was on. He learned in a few short days, that barking means he goes out or in. He rarely ever barked after that. First he would get our attention to let him out, if that didn't work, a little bark would. We had many people comment on how quiet he was. :thumbs up

Lise
May 11th, 2005, 11:13 AM
This is from The Intelligence of Dogs by Stanley Coren 'Continuous rapid barking mid range pitch:call the pack!There is a potential problem!Someone is coming into our territory.' 'Continuous barking,a bit slower pitched lower:The intruder[danger]is very close.Get ready to defend yourself.' 'Barking in rapid strings of three or four with pauses in between,midrange pitch:I suspect we have a problem or intruder near our territory pack leader should look into it.' 'Incessant barking with moderate/long intervals between barks:Is there anybody out there ?I'm lonely and need companionship' 'One or two sharp barks,midrange pitch:Hello,typicl greeting bark' 'Single short bark,lower mid range pitch:Stpo that!often used by bitch disciplining pups,but indicates annoyance in any dog' 'Single short bark,higher midrange:What's this ?startled sound.If repeated two or three times meaning changes to"Come look at this!"alerting the pack to new event.This type of bark not as short or sharp is often used by dogs to indicate they want out by door.''Stutter bark mid range pitch:let's play' I started listening to the different tones my gang uses and when,it's kind of interesting to see if you can understand more of what your dog is trying to communicate.See what happens when you spend twenty four seven in the company of your dogs?To stop barking for no reason everyone here knows enough,with the exception of the greys who bark no matter what you say.

DogueLover
May 13th, 2005, 10:58 AM
The last post here was probably the best one I have read. I don`t believe that a dog will bark just because they want to bark. I know that each bark means something ........ since they can`t talk they need to communicate somehow.
If your dog is barking listen to the bark and figure out what they want........... we are supposed to be smarter than the dogs.
Some dogs are barkers, and yes it is annoying, but for the most part I will not make my dogs "hush up" when they are barking, as they are communicating and it is up to me to figure out what they are trying to tell me.
For example,
Angel was going off on a tangent a while back, she was barking and barking and barking. The kids were playing in the back yard and she was out with them. I had gone into the house to get some snacks for the kids. She was losing her mind barking, a very aggravated angry bark. I went outside to see what was going on and found the town pedifile standing behind my fence watching my kids.
I don`t think that she would have done that had she been told to shut up and not to bark unless she wanted in or out.
Just a thought, maybe listen to what your dog is trying to tell you, not all barking is bad............I was really happy that she let me know what was going on. That sick ******* was within a block of my house the whole morning watching people`s children. Had I not had Angel to let me know he was there I may have never known he was there.