Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is my cat in heat?

ShortySB11
April 4th, 2005, 10:24 PM
My Cat lives outside and is a female. She has never been fixed and has just started occasionally dropping blood from her vagina area. Is she pregnant, in heat, what?

happycats
April 4th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Get Her Spayed Right Away!

Sneaky2006
April 4th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Why would you let her outside without being spayed? Is she even vaccinated?
Take her to the vet, then you might find some answers to your questions.

CyberKitten
April 4th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Trust me, if you have a cat in heat, you will now it when she keeps you awake with yowling. Is she rolling around on the floor and acting a little differently than usual? Check her vaginal area to see if it is enlarged. AND as was alraedy suggested, GET HER SPAYED NOW!

ShortySB11
April 4th, 2005, 10:33 PM
I do love her very much. I would actually love for her to have kittens. I just want to know if anyone knows anything about why cats bleed from their vagina area

Prin
April 4th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Why do humans bleed from their vaginal area? It's a complicated answer that you should have learned in sex ed, no?

Why would you want to bring even more kittens into this world?

Sneaky2006
April 4th, 2005, 10:37 PM
If you don't know anything about cats, their vaginas, or bleeding you shouldn't even think about breeding your cat. Get her spayed and go to the humane society and adopt a poor kitten in need of a loving home instead.
I'm sure that would feel much better than bringing unwanted kittens into this world that's overly populated with them already.

ShortySB11
April 4th, 2005, 10:39 PM
animals and humans are very different my friend, so sorry i didn't learn about cats in sex ed. and i would love to bring kitttens into the world because i would take care of them, what is wrong with breeding animals? will someone who knows what they are talking about tell me does this mean my cat is in heat or is she pregnant?

happycats
If you love her as much as you say, you will get her fixed, trust me there are enough unwanted cats sitting in shelters, and getting euthanized every day. You don't need to add to it!!
go to, www.petfinders.org. and type in "CAT" and maybe you'll get an idea about how many unwanted cats are out there!! (and thats just a few places that adopt them, many just kill them after 3 days )

CyberKitten
You should not breed cats unless your cat is a titled champion from an approved association. The only good reason for breeding - and even that I soemtimes wonder about, given the numbers of homeless cats we have - is to better the breed. To do that, you need a good background in genetics, a mentor and lots of money!

So please spay your cat. If you are unsure about her health, something tells me you do not qualify.

ShortySB11
April 4th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Whether I breed her or not is none of anyone's buisness. I simply want someone who knows what they are talking about to answer my original question....is she in heat, is bleeding a sign of that? i have read that cats don't bleed while in heat, so what would the bleeding mean?

Prin
April 4th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Especially when she lives outside and you have no control over which aggressive nasty diseased cat will impregnate her and you won't even be there for the births (they usually hide when giving birth, especially outside). You won't even be able to make sure she is safe. NOT a good idea.

Sneaky2006
April 4th, 2005, 10:44 PM
It means she needs a vet! And she needs to be spayed... how old is this cat?
Go elsewhere if you don't like our responses.

happycats
April 4th, 2005, 10:45 PM
It will be ours and everyone elses business, when you DUMP your unwanted kittens!!
if you want to know why she is bleeding, ,TAKE HER TO A VET !!!!

Prin
April 4th, 2005, 10:45 PM
I did answer Why do humans bleed from their vaginal area? It's a complicated answer that you should have learned in sex ed, no? Whether you decide not to learn anything in life is not our problem.

ShortySB11
April 4th, 2005, 10:50 PM
no i will not dump the kittens because they will not be unwanted, yes i will go elsewhere! And to the PRIN person who keeps telling me to check sex ed....like i said before sorry that i did not learn about animals in sex ed but girls and cats are different and work differently! thanks

happycats
April 4th, 2005, 10:55 PM
What Do You Mean You Will Look After The Kittens ??
You Don't Even Look After This Cat !!!
She Is An Outside Cat, Not Vet Checked Not Vaccinated And Not Fixed, So You Really Don't Give It Crap About Her, So Why Would You All Of A Sudden Develop A Conscience And Give It Crap About Her Kittens?? You Will Probably Just Let Them All Run Wild Unfixed So They Can All Breed With Each Other!!!

amber416
April 4th, 2005, 10:58 PM
I believe cats do bleed when in heat, but a very small amount...barely detectable. Blood or other discharge can also often be because of an infection or some other illness. Whether or not you breed your cat is certainly not just your business when so many people work for nothing to clean up simillar messes, so to speak, in rescue. If you have the capacity to care for a litter of kittens, you should go adopt from a shelter. By creating more lives you are enabling others to be destroyed. How anyone could have that weigh on their conscience is beyond me.

Prin
April 4th, 2005, 11:00 PM
no i will not dump the kittens because they will not be unwanted, yes i will go elsewhere! And to the PRIN person who keeps telling me to check sex ed....like i said before sorry that i did not learn about animals in sex ed but girls and cats are different and work differently! thanks
The machinery is basically the same, it's just the timing that's different. I'd like to see you take care of all of the kittens until they die at 10 or 20 years old.

Sneaky2006
April 4th, 2005, 11:01 PM
You never said how old this cat is... :confused:

ShortySB11
April 4th, 2005, 11:01 PM
everyone should calm down just a bit, i took this cat in as a stray myself, no i didn't breed her on purpose, if she is pregnant it was an accident but i simply came on here to ask a question. i didn't know people who love animals so much could be so rude to humans, i guess i was wrong

Prin
April 4th, 2005, 11:02 PM
People who love animals do not like to see them abandoned at a rescue or on the side of the road because someone thought a kitten would be cute and then got a whole bunch of expensive kittens instead.

ShortySB11
April 4th, 2005, 11:03 PM
the cat is around a year old

Prin
April 4th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Are you going to bring her to a vet?

Sneaky2006
April 4th, 2005, 11:06 PM
If you do love her, the absolute LEAST you can do is wait until she's older, at this age to have kittens, it may kill her being a kitten herself. :sad: Keep her indoors please and just love her up... maybe then you will think about spaying her.
Cats can have up to 8 kittens at one time, that's not easy to handle. Try fostering a litter from a shelter and see how it goes.

ShortySB11
April 4th, 2005, 11:06 PM
some of you have some private messages to read and then maybe you will stop being so rude to me, i have three dogs and i love animals very much, if the cat is pregnant it is not on purpose and if you knew me you would know that i would never dump kittens on the side of the road just because they were expensive, i actually have been the person to pick up 9 kittens and take them to a shelter or found homes for them because they were on the side of the road....so don't judge me because you have no idea what i would do....yes i am going to take the cat to a vet

Prin
April 4th, 2005, 11:08 PM
I would actually love for her to have kittens This is not a ringing endorsement of you helping to control the pet population.

Are you going to a vet because they can do the spay right now and abort the zygotes before they develop (if she is pregnant). If she's just in heat, they can do it now too.

happycats
April 4th, 2005, 11:08 PM
iF THIS CAT IS A STRAY, HOW DO YOU KNOW SHE IS NOT FIXED ?
SHE MAY EVEN BE MICROCHIPPED, HAVE YOU CHECKED TO SEE IF HER OWNER MAY BE LOOKING FOR HER ?

ShortySB11
April 4th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Again, I would never breed her on purpose, I hope that puts some of your minds to ease, as for getting her spayed, I will do so when I know she's OK, I just thought I could get some NICE advice from some pet lovers, but I guess all pet lovers aren't as nice as they are thought to be

Prin
April 4th, 2005, 11:13 PM
How are you going to find out if she is ok? Are you taking her to a vet? Has she ever been to a vet?

Sneaky2006
April 4th, 2005, 11:14 PM
You say you would never breed her on purpose, but you didn't have her spayed, she may be pregnant now and you would love some kittens from her?
How is that not on purpose? I don't get it.
I'm done with this thread, I am glad she'll be spayed and keep helping strays but get them spayed!

ShortySB11
April 4th, 2005, 11:15 PM
I have posted posters all over my city and in the paper, if her owners are looking for her they will know I have her, however, she is very skinny, I feel like she has been a stray for a long time

happycats
April 4th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Oh please, this isn't about YOUR feelings and being nice to you, what about your cats feelings and being NICE to it ??
You keep going on about you, you, you ,and how you feel. how about how your poor cat feels, being left outside, and not vet checked to be impregnated by a possibly sick or deseased Tom, to maybe have to deliver many kittens and to possibly die form it, and what about all these kittens and thier feelings ??

Beetlecat
April 4th, 2005, 11:17 PM
unfixed female cats may bleed about a week before they go into standing heat, as far as I know. Usually a better way to tell is the by the hair raising yowling and the sudden increase in male cats hanging around.

Prin
April 4th, 2005, 11:17 PM
Has she been to a vet yet? How long have you had her? By the way, I'd keep her indoors until you know what is going on and the heat is over.

CyberKitten
April 5th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Re: "Whether I breed her or not is none of anyone's buisness." My BP went up several notches when I read that and I thought Oh Gawd, not again! I won;t get into a debate with you but you seem to lack knowledge in breeding and that is called being a back yard breeder - someone who breeds their cat without thinking about it or giving consideration to the health, financial and other needs of the animal. It is not an easy process and expensive!! I can understand someone taking in a pegnant stray but there is absolutely no excuse for anyone allowing their let to become pregnant unless it is a titled champion who can somehow advance the breed genetically.

And uhm, if you choose to breed cats indiscriminately, it is most certainly all of our business! The kittens end up God knows where - even good homes can fump cats - and then shelters and rescues and the SPCA are caring for these poor creatures. it all starts with irresponsible people not spaying their cats. And that affects all of us. I think every one who says they want to breed their cat needs to see the end result - inevitable I am afraid - cute kittens being euthenized because a shelter has too many!

Just my two cents - I hope you do not mean to be so rude yourself.

Prin
April 5th, 2005, 11:11 AM
I don't think this guy's coming back...

Lucky Rescue
April 5th, 2005, 11:21 AM
If your cat is bleeding from her vagina, it could be anything from a SEVERE bladder infection to cancer. Maybe not, but the only way to know is to have her checked out.

You should not be breeding cats, accidentally or otherwise. You are just adding to the horrible overpopulation and suffering of cats if you do.

You say you will take care of the kittens. What if she has 6 or 7? Can you really find lifetime homes for all of them, where they will be kept indoors, spayed or neutered and cared for properly? We have all kinds of resources to help us find homes for kittens and cats, and we still have a hard time! What if you can't find these wonderful homes? Will you keep them all, get them spayed/neutered? This is a very expensive undertaking.

I'm glad you're taking this poor cat to the vet. Please get her spayed right away.

If you love kittens and want some, pretty soon the shelters will be loaded with entire litters dumped there. You could foster them, and this way you can be part of the solution, instead of part of the problem.:)

unfixed female cats may bleed about a week before they go into standing heat, as far as I know

That's dogs, not cats.;)

andone
April 5th, 2005, 12:39 PM
cats don't bleed when they're in heat. they just cry soooo loudly and rub up against everything, and bare their bums to anything. my sister's cat was actually rubbing her bum up against my sister's toe. it was funny

happycats
April 5th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Be careful how you respond to this post, as "andone" may send you a nasty PM like she did to me !!!!!

I guess she doesn't know this is an open forum, and everyone has a right to thier opinion, She is probably a friend or relative of this poster !!!

Oh by the way, "andone" does not seem to agree with altering a pet !!!

CyberKitten
April 5th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Re: my sister's cat was actually rubbing her bum up against my sister's toe. it was funny

There is nothing funny about a cat in heat. She is suffering and that is not a joke!! Gawd!! Are you sure you are an animal lover?

happycats
April 5th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Be careful Cyberkitten, you may end up with a nasty PM, as andone thinks this is funny! I personally think it's disgusting !
And I agree with you A female cat in heat, looks like it's in pain!!

happycats
April 5th, 2005, 01:28 PM
By the way andone would your sister happen to be ShortySB11 ????

Lucky Rescue
April 5th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Anyone who thinks a cat in heat is "funny", feels that indescriminate and irresponsible breeding is fine, or leaves intact cats outside, please TAKE A LOOK (http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL320/1047157/2137064/91970921.jpg) and see what you are directly responsible for. Still think it's "funny"?

**WARNING - Shocking and graphic image****

Prin
April 5th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Lucky where is that?

Lucky Rescue
April 5th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Where? Any shelter, AC, or pound in the country or on the continent.:(

Prin
April 5th, 2005, 03:59 PM
I thought shelters used freezers? (that's why I asked) I hope that pic does something for somebody who doesn't like the spay/neuter idea...

heidiho
April 5th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Unbelieveable,why do they beed from there vagina,wow........................................ ...How many log in names do u have????????????????//

Shamrock
April 5th, 2005, 04:24 PM
:sad: oh my God, Lucky :sad:
Should be mandatory viewing for anyone who finds humour/ amusement in the plight of the unspayed female cat.

Luvmypit
April 5th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Wooo, I had to duck like ten times reading this post. Flames were a flyin!

To the poster Just get your cat spayed it really is best for her. I don't think your a terrible person and nor do I think you aren't an animal lover but you do have to realize that the situation you got her in is very dangerous for her.

Even if you have the litter and you can care for them. maybe you can Im not one to judge. BUT what happens when you have 7-9 cats not neutered and in heat? Then you can possibly end up with up to 50 cats after another breeding round.
The people here mean the best intentions and you know what I applaud them for it. You have to understand where they are coming from. Your not the first person to be chopped up and put over a hot fire for roasting.
These people are often rescuers, volunteers and are at the forefront of animal advocacy.
They see hundreds of cats and dogs put down. If you want more cats how rewarding would it to be to rescue a couple? There really is a serious problem with over populating and even though you can care for them you could cause your very own feral cat colony if your not careful.

Don't take offence to these peoples responses. They have just heard so much of this it hurts them and really fraustrates them. I wish I could do what these people do!

Please take the advice even though routed in pointed fingers and capp locks they mean well and they're right.

As for the cat bleeding you said you were going to take it to the vet. Now picture 8 kittens bleeding and needing to go to the vet. Very expensive.

chico2
April 5th, 2005, 05:08 PM
I would think,seeing this is an OUTDOOR cat :sad: the poster has no say in the matter purposely or not,she will be pregnant,when she comes in to heat...no doubt about it.
It is in my view the height of irresponsability to leave a unaltered female outside at the mercy of every tom-cat coming around,not only will she get pregnant,but she can get seriously hurt from fighting.
Please keep her inside,you say you rescued her,which is certainly admirable,but then you leave her outdoors :confused: :confused:
I am not brave enough to look at the site Lucky provided,but I would advice you to do soo,the reality for unwanted animals is very cruel and sad,please do not add to it :sad:

Shamrock
April 5th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Great post, luvmypit! :thumbs up

heidiho
April 5th, 2005, 06:14 PM
How old are u??Shouldnt your parents be teaching u these things???????????????????????????

glasslass
April 5th, 2005, 08:46 PM
This is called neglect. How can it be called rescue? I guess that means Shorty feeds it? Doing nothing else to care for it, obviously!

mona_b
April 5th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Get her fixed,keep her inside.THEN you will not have to worry about the bleeding vagina thing.......... :rolleyes:

Beetlecat
April 5th, 2005, 09:11 PM
unfixed female cats may bleed about a week before they go into standing heat, as far as I know.[QUOTE]

[QUOTE=LuckyRescue]That's dogs, not cats.;)

Guess that's why I'm not a vet. Actually, reading that over, I feel pretty stupid :o Cats don't even ovulate the way a dog does. I don't think they even have 'heats' in the conventional sense.

rebel24
April 6th, 2005, 06:00 PM
To OP here are some sites for you:

http://cats.about.com/cs/pregnancybirth/ht/oestrus.htm
http://www.petcaretips.net/heat_pregnancy_cat.html

I have not posted here in forever but this post caught my attention real quick.

To OP I know you feel like you are doing a great thing. But please step back and look at things from others point of view. Everyone here (pretty much everyone here) I involved in rescue one way or another. Whether they are helping cats or dogs. And here they have a person wanting to know if their cat's in heat and on top of that the fact that you want her to have kittens. This is pretty distressing. Especaially since your cat is outside there is not telling what diseases she has been exposed to. These people work day in and day out till the are virtuly broke counteracting the actions taken by people who think like you do. When they see someone like yourself say you would like your cat to have kittens they see all their hard work thrown right out the window. Its a slap in the face. Please look at all that was said and decide the best interst for your cat. I am sure you will see spaying her as the absolute best options for this lonely outside cat.