Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I am in High school!!!!!

Sneaky2006
April 4th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Sounds weird I know. I was thinking, I wanted a job and I could've had one but am turning it down (for right now) because of the money and situation. And they told me that if I did want to move up in positions and become a manager of the company, or some other higher paying position that I would at least need a GED, which I don't have (I will explain). I am going back to school, sort of, to get an even better job!

When I was in 11th grade I always skipped gym class (I HATED GYM) and when the end of the year was near I wasn't going to pass the grade because of missing gym class. What really sucks is I had an A average for all real classes, it's just gym I wanted no part of.

Anyway, they wanted me to take summer school for gym to be able to go on to 12th grade and I got pregnant that summer... their summer school for gym consisted of running up and down the stadium stairs and running laps all day.
I didn't think I should be doing that while pregnant (which no one knew about) so I didn't go, therefore failing the year. I was devastated that I had to repeat the 11th grade and not be a senior with all of my friends, so I dropped out.

Soon after that, I started my life with my baby and hubby got a good job, we bought a house and got married and now I've just been cruising by, not even thinking about school. And now I want better!

I am so excited... I called that PCDI company, where you can get your high school diploma, all from home! I can't believe how easy it really is. I just sent for my first class today and should be starting it in a week.
Now I see that my possiblities are endless and I may even take another one of their courses after I'm done with this one. I can't wait, I love school!!!!!!
I am so happy I just had to share.

I called my mom and I think she was teary-eyed, I said I'm in high school right now, she flipped! She, still to this day, slaps me upside the head cause she knows I can do anything... I guess I know it now too! :love:

Sorry it's so long :o

CyberKitten
April 4th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Don't apologize because it is so long!! I think you are to be commended for doing it now. There are so many resources online now to help - Sparks Notes, online textbooks, homework help! Good luck!!!

btw, I hated gym too and told my high school gym teacher (who also taught health in what was then junior high) that my doctor told me post surgery I could not take physed - she never checked and I was able to take another science course that I wanted. (Some would say I should have taken typing or kbding but I thought that was a sexist thing to suggest - little did I know the internet age would appear, haha). Seriusly, I did have health issues and it worked out well. But I think it's deplorable that gym would keep you from a diploma!!

These days, young women bring their babies to school and high schools have day care centers. Thank goodness!

Sneaky2006
April 4th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Thanks CK! Even back then (10 yrs ago) they had a daycare right in my high school... I knew it would've been okay. But not taking summer school, they didn't let me finish.

Oh well, I am happy now and ready for a ton of work, I really can't wait! I even asked if they could overnight the package so I could start tomorrow, she laughed, but said no! :(

I don't know how much help I'd need from the net... you get all your books, supplies, tests and reviews. All tests are open book, you just have to read and know where to look, which is learning in itself. They also have a help line too. I will get a diploma and class ring after completion, can't get any better than that! :D

Prin
April 4th, 2005, 10:06 PM
I'm so happy for you! That is so great! :)

db7
April 4th, 2005, 10:18 PM
So.......are you takin' Gym?

Sneaky2006
April 4th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Ahhh, No. :p

Thanks prin! :)

CyberKitten
April 4th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Well, you could always do situps in front of the computer, lol

Sneaky2006
April 4th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Haha!
I think I'll pass on that... I get enough exercise when I take Yukon for a walk!
Or chasing toddlers, or doing 20 loads of laundry... ah yes, when will I have time to study?? :D

Princesss04
April 5th, 2005, 01:21 AM
Congrats Sneaky, I am so proud of you. I think it takes alot of detrimination (spelling) to go back. I am so happy you are. You will be so proud of yourself when you finish. Keep up all the good work and let us know if you need anything. :D :thumbs up

Rita
April 5th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Good for you :crazy:
It takes a lot of courage and will power to do what your doing .... hope everything goes extremely well for you :thumbs up

Sneaky2006
April 5th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Thanks you two, and don't worry... if I have a problem you know I will come here! :D

Princesss04
April 5th, 2005, 11:03 AM
As long as it is not math I am here for you babe. LOL :D

Sneaky2006
April 5th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Thanks princess!!!! :love:
I'm not even sure if I need another math credit, I've already taken besides basics, Geometry, Algebra I and II, the next step at my old school was Calculus or Trig, which I don't know if I want right now! :D
I do love math, although I may wind up going the business route!

maddoxies
April 5th, 2005, 11:29 AM
YOU GO GIRL !!! :thumbs up

I did all my accounting courses at night school, but they were mostly self study, so let me know if I can help with any tips, tricks, or just plain encouragement. :grouphug:

I totally sucked at gym too, it was the written tests on game rules and health that squeeked me thru. I think they should have passed us all just for wearing those ugly gym rompers. (ok, it was 1970)

Sneaky2006
April 5th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Thanks GG. :love:
I can't even believe you need to pass gym to be able to graduate, I mean aren't the tapes on sex enough punishment at that age???

Also, it wasn't even the real gym that I skipped... it was swimming, we were oh so lucky to have a pool at our school, lucky enough to have to wear their bags of swimming suits, everyday for 2 months, with the boys (!!!) to pass each grade.
Wow, I am so glad I don't have to go through this now! I pitty all my nieces right now that have to do it.

You should've put the gym outfits on the nostalgia thread!! :p

Trinitie
April 5th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Sneaky you should be very proud of yourself! The ability to go back, many years later, and recognize that you need to do this, is something that is very hard to do. You shoud be commended!!! :thumbs up :thumbs up :queen:

Sneaky2006
April 5th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Aww! Thank you Trinitie!! :love:

glasslass
April 5th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Way to go Sneaky! :thumbs up You're doing a great thing for yourself. Proud of you!! :thumbs up

Sneaky2006
April 5th, 2005, 09:36 PM
:) Thank you glass!!!!! :love:
You guys are making me smile an awful lot! :D

CyberKitten
April 5th, 2005, 10:53 PM
If you need any help with the sciences and math - let me know Sneaky. Anytime! I am thrilled you are doing this!!

Sneaky2006
April 6th, 2005, 07:58 AM
:love: Sure thing CK... thank you very much! :D

melanie
April 6th, 2005, 05:46 PM
hey there spunk rat, you go lady you can do anything and you know it.

remember i left school when i was 14yo, and went back and did the high school leaving certificate at adult college. and bugger me dead i now have two degrees and a million certificates. see any one can do anything, and its best to have your high school certificate so that you get to choose your future, dont let anyone do that for you. education is power to determine your future and jsut imagine how proud your little man will be of his mom, not to mention the example you are setting for your son and family.

yay for you, i bet your mum is just so relieved, yay you can do anything in the world my lovely. :grouphug: :thumbs up

Sneaky2006
April 7th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Thanks Mel!!!! :love:

I used to just want to do this because of working, but screw that! I just want this for me! All I know is, it's not going to stop here. :)

I should print this out for inspiration, you guys are awesome!! Thanks again you guys! :love:

happycats
April 7th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Good for you Sneaky !!! It's never to late to learn.
My mom went back to grade 12 when she was about 46, she actually went to our local high school (daytime), and she got her diploma !!
It gave her such confidence, and we were so proud of her, she went out right away and got a really good job. (she finally believed in herself, and her ability to do just about anything she put her mind to) I am sure you will feel just as good when you get through this!

Sneaky2006
April 8th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Thanks Happy!!! :love:
That's wonderful about your mom!! I can definitely imagine it being way harder at that age, she must be so proud of herself! Good for her!!!! :D

BMDLuver
April 8th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Thanks princess!!!! :love:
I'm not even sure if I need another math credit, I've already taken besides basics, Geometry, Algebra I and II, the next step at my old school was Calculus or Trig, which I don't know if I want right now! :D
I do love math, although I may wind up going the business route!
My friends daughter is doing something similar now and the requirements include Trig. It may just have to do with her wish to continue on to college, but you never know. If you did all the other maths then Trig would be an asset in case you get the school bug and want to continue! Good for you completing! :thumbs up

Catt31
April 11th, 2005, 08:58 AM
congrats Sneaky!!! It takes a lot of courage to go back and get your high school diploma!! Good job girl!!! And think of all the doors it will open for you!!! Way to go!!!! I'm a teacher, so let me know if I can help at all!! (although don't ask about Math....not my strong suit!! LOL) :thumbs up

Sneaky2006
April 11th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Thanks you guys!!!!

What grade Catt?? You may be getting some PMs from me!!! :D
I got my first course today... not that happy with it, but they require it (consumer skills) and they don't have my transcripts yet, so after this one I can pick!
Still very excited though, I can't wait to start!!!! :p

Shamrock
April 11th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Sneaky, that is great! Good for you for taking this step! :thumbs up
So many talk of resuming things they've put things on the "back burner" but dont act on it.
You should be very proud of yourself, and I wish you every success!

Copper'sMom
April 11th, 2005, 03:55 PM
I can't believe i missed this post! Good for you Sneaky!! That's awesome news!! It is so hard to get by these days without a highschool diploma. The best of luck to you!!

Catt31
April 12th, 2005, 08:51 AM
I teach Grade 3!!! LOL! So I doubt I'd be much help, but ya never know!!! Good luck girl!!!! Study hard!!! :rolleyes:

Sneaky2006
April 12th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Thank you Copper's and Shamrock!!

And Catt... My son is in the 3rd grade and he could've passed the test I just took, that's how easy it was! :p