Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

im exhausted!

Eleni
April 4th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Life is kicking my butt

between being up at ngiht with a teething baby and making sure i get sammy out to go to the bathroom often enough im gettign only about 4-5 hours sleep time

and i think coffee is making it worse, it livens me up for a short while then I crash worse later

anyone else worn out?
how do you deal with sleep deprivation, usually i drink coffee and stay as busy as possible.

Eleni

maddoxies
April 4th, 2005, 03:44 PM
I am bad and subscribe to the caffine/sugar route too. I have several friends who swear by "power naps" 15 minutes and they are good to go again. It does not work for me, but then again, with the narcolepsy, I would not expect it to work.

The other suggestion is several small meals a day rather than 3 main meals. It does help to keep your sugar levels more consistent. And stay away from orange juice, bananas and turkey during the day (sleepy foods).

Apple juice, tuna are neutral to energy foods.

Good luck, this will pass

Sneaky2006
April 4th, 2005, 03:48 PM
I get worn out very easily! My husband seems to disagree (he thinks what I do is easy... haha), but I watch kids all day, one from 10am to 4pm and others from 1pm to 12am, plus my own son 24/7, cooking, cleaning, you know the stuff!

Anyway, I find that coffee does that to me too, unless I drink it constantly.
I know this may hurt all the dependent coffee drinkers out there, but water and fresh fruits and veggies (some protein too) get me going more than coffee ever did, especially in the morning! I know when you're busy, eating may be the last thing on your mind but it's really important!
It's just something you need to be consistant with or else it won't matter and you'll still be dragging all day anyway. Good luck to ya! :D

Iggette
April 4th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Sorry can't help ya with this one......I'm absolutly useless at work without at least 8 hours under my belt :o , mind you it's a very physically demanding job.
I could handle little sleep when I was younger, power naps helped me but I needed at least an hour and a half nap :D

Princesss04
April 4th, 2005, 03:55 PM
That is how I am Iggette I need longer naps to do me any good. I can not power nap and than be fine I am worse than when I started. LOL I need about a 1 1/2 hours or more. LOL So you all can guess I get very few naps. LOL :D I take a nap in bewteen church on Sunday. So I nap after morning service than wake up and get ready for afternoon service. :D

CyberKitten
April 4th, 2005, 06:18 PM
I live in a state of chronic exhaustion and my hours are always so screwed up I do not seem to have a normal schedule. I seem to be called by the hospital even when I am not on call and that can be anytime - in the old days, it was by beeper and now it's cell phones, blackberries AND beepers, lol

Power naps sometimes help me but I rarely have time. I know better than to go the caffeine/sugar route but I have a Cappuccino maker and drink that with splenda so it is my alternative to too much sugar. I do use expresso coffee tho!! ;)

Prin
April 4th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Iron pills... If it turns out you're anemic, they really help with the fatigue...

happycats
April 4th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Prin Iron pills are good, but BEWARE, you may have trouble with your BM's . :eek:
you may have to come on this site asking for advise, on how to make "yourself" go. LOL :D

Eleni. I get by on 4 to 5 hours of sleep per day, I just got used to it.
only 1 cup of coffee per day. Sometimes I need to "stock up" on sleep on the week-end, and will have an afternoon nap. Quite often I have to say to myself "you can do it" "you can do it !". ;)

Eleni
April 4th, 2005, 07:15 PM
I actually am anemic and ahve been on iron pills for quite awhile now.

im gonna go the eat mroe often route and see if it helps

i know some day in the near future my kids will want to sleep all day long. then maybe ill get my 8 hours in LOL

till then 5 hours seems to be my norm, I just wish 5 hours was enough to feel rested hehe

Eleni

raingirl
April 4th, 2005, 08:18 PM
I'll give you all a few tips on anemia (I did a full year project on Iron deficiency anemia and house it affects the body and the skeleton for school. I even worked excavating a nopoleonic era cemetery on the island of Antigua a few summers back, and discovered a LOT there about iron deficiency..but that's another story.)

First, iron is needed in the blood to carry oxygen. Less Iron means less oxygen, and you feel tired and light headed.

phytic acid (in grains and legumes), Polyphenols (acids and tannins and flavanoids in coffee, tea, wine, and chocolate), Calcium (in dairy or non-heme sources like dark green leafy veggies), protein (ie parts of eggs, soy, meat byproducts but not meat itself, and plant proteins), and nuts inhibits the intake of iron. in most cases the food binds to the iron preventing your body from absorbing it. THese reasons are why most vegans and vegetarians are anemic. So...don't take your iron with your morning coffee, your cereal, your eggs, or your salad, and definately not with a glass of milk.

To increase your bodies absorption of iron, eat it with lean muscle meat/protein. You can also take it with lots of fruit, as vitamin C really helps it absorb, as do other organic acids (except phytic acid as stated above).

I am chronically tired as well. I usually sleep 10 to 14 hours and still feel exhausted. I don't sleep well and that's probably why. If the room isn't pitch black and dark as heck, and it isn't a quiet as it could be, I lay awake. I always have nightmares a lot, vivid dreams, and sometimes sleep walk. I'm also anemic, and hypoglycemic. Coffee doesn't do anything for me, nor does sugar, except they make me feel shakey really fast (because of hypoglycemic). This morning Odin work me up by whining at the baby gate at my bedroom door. Don't know how long he was doing it, but it was cute!

Oh! I was going to say what happens to your body with chronic anemia. I can't remmeber all the official terms, but your bone has 3 layers, a top and bottom layer that are thicker and then there is a spongy layer in the centre. Lack of iron in the red blood cells inhibits the bone production in certain areas of the body, like in the eye orbits, and across most of the skull, as well as the pelvis. What happens is the outer thick layers start breaking down and you get holes coming through, and it makes the bone look like the top of a pancake (before you flip it and all those little bubbles are popping).

CyberKitten
April 4th, 2005, 08:26 PM
I am on my way to bed but beware of taking iron. Pls see your doctor before doing it. Iron has as many negative as positive attributes. It is fine for women of child bearing age who lose iron and may not be getting what they need but iron posioning for ex is one of the most common incidents we see in the ER. Worse, IM injection of iron can be carcinogenic.

And if you do opt to take iron, take it with a wax-matrix preparation - not the conventional cheaper form it is often found in. It also can cause stomach upset.

The best way to get iron is to eat foods with it in them!

Prin
April 4th, 2005, 09:16 PM
I use Natural Factors Iron pills and they're only 25mg. I take them with orange juice because it's the only thing that doesn't leave you with a mouth full of blood taste.. ew... I'm aware of the BM's but I am a crazy milk drinker and they say that about milk too but the phenylalanine in the gum I chew and the chocolate I eat act as a laxitive (there are warnings on the packages in Europe)... It all balances out.

CK-- it's hard to get all the proper eats as a student. I try but I have classes at breakfast, lunch and suppertime and it's very hard to come home after a day of 10 hrs of classes and cook for a half hour. One day, I'll eat healthier. I used to when I was working- the schedule is more normal (ok, not yours but most work schedules)...

Eleni
April 5th, 2005, 04:56 AM
my iron pills are actually doctor prescribed, he does my blood work every three months to decide if i should continue on them or not.

im not worried about too much Iron.

Tho i sometimes get concerned about the fact that I am cronically anemic despite the iron pills.

Eleni