Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

In Case of Fire!

Princesss04
April 4th, 2005, 04:19 PM
I always wondered... when we are gone and the ones that cage their dogs what happens if there is a fire or something like that. How will out babies get out of their cage? I mean I understand we cage them when they are little but what if that would happen. I know it is a big "what if" and we could go on with these forver but it always bothers me when I think about it because if they were out in the house they might be able to get out where in the cage it is very unlikey! :confused: Do not want to scare anyone but it really bothers me. I am so a worry wort. :D

Sneaky2006
April 4th, 2005, 04:33 PM
If there was a fire, hopefully the fire department would be called quickly... and if so, there are stickers you can get for your doors (or every window) that say how many people live there and how many pets.

This one is an example you can buy... I've seen ones with the kinds of pets, and humans to save!

http://www.canvasbackpets.com/ShopSite/product863.html

Actually, to save a pet in a cage is easier than searching a house that's on fire! Animals run and hide, this way they can be easily found and brought to safety. Don't worry about it! :love:

Iggette
April 4th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Princesss04.....Excellent point, :thumbs up I hadn't even thought of it :sad: But now that you have made me think of it, I am definitly going to put some sort of notice for the firemen......mine are not in cages though......good to think of the what if's at times

Princesss04
April 4th, 2005, 04:51 PM
I am going to get me a sign and put on the door. Thanks for your help. :D

glasslass
April 4th, 2005, 05:09 PM
We had a similar thread a while back with a picture of the sign.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=10616&highlight=fireman

chico2
April 4th, 2005, 05:13 PM
I actually talked to a fireman from Toronto about saving animals,I too have stickers on all doors,saying there are 3 cats in the house.I asked him if he would try to save a cat and he said "Hell no!"we have houses to save..
It really got to me,but often in the news they'll say,people survived but the family cats perrished.
I keep all three cat-carriers in my bed-room...but I suppose the cats would panic and hide :sad:

goldenblaze
April 4th, 2005, 05:33 PM
I worry like you do Princesss04 many times I've that of this. Years ago my brother had a fire with his cat inside, the cat was ok but still.
I have a picture of my dogs with their names on my front door, plus stickers on other door. Everyone who lives around me knows my dogs and names and if there was ever a problem they would be here to help aswell. I don't crate but I think if anything were to happen the fire or police would find my boys better if they knew their names too. ;)

marko
April 4th, 2005, 05:39 PM
We also sell rescue stickers in the store on this site.

http://www.pets.ca/onlinestore/modeng/name/onlinestore/catid/16

Prin
April 4th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Couldn't you just make one? you could have pictures and everything... :)

goldenblaze
April 4th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Very easy to make Prin, I just this pics cause it show both boys clearly. This is in my door. :thumbs up

CyberKitten
April 4th, 2005, 07:04 PM
I have always worried about fire too!! I am scared to death of fire - I have a sign on my door if firefighters have to come to my home. I know some ppl have rescued kitties with a pillow case but I may buy one of those items Marko showed! Mine is pretty bright and obvious but extra would not hurt.

I once rescued a kitty from a fire. I was 17 - home from university for the summer - and I was not working at my summer job that afternoon (I cannot recall why - I was babysitting my brother for one). The house across the street suddenly burst into flames - unusual since there had never been a house fire in our relatively new subdivision. This home had been constructed by the Bank oif Mtl for its manager and the people were away. Their son, however, had skipped school and was home with a friend "playing" with the fireplace. The kids (about 10-12) ran out of the house and I called the fire department. I then called my mom - who was at school (her work place). It just occured to me that I did not see the family's kitty and asked the kids who were too traumatized. They shrugged. So, even before the fire dept arrived, I ran into the home and yelled for the cat (His name was Pitou) and of course, scared - he was nowhere to be found! Finally - after what seemed an eternity - I found the cat under the bed, grabbed him even tho he did not want to go anywhere - and ran from the home. With my own respiratory probs, I myself ended up as the only casualty - smoke inhalation - and the clothes I was wearing had to be tossed becase they were just cloaked in smoke - a pair of pants I especially liked too but oh well. The firefighters arrived just as I was coming down the stairs with Pitou and they did help me out (The fire started downstairs so my parents were most unhappy with me for taking such a chance but happy I had helped the kitty). My mom arrived and then our parish priest who had seen the flames and thought it was our house (he was the Priest at the Parish whose school had my mom as Principal). I had forgotten about that incident till now. Gawd, the things that trigger memories!

Lizzie
April 4th, 2005, 08:17 PM
The problem with making your own is that some of the stickers you can buy might be made of a more durable, fire proof material. The tag is really no use of the extreme temperatures curl it and burn it before the firemen arrive....

Prin
April 4th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Very easy to make Prin, I just this pics cause it show both boys clearly. This is in my door. :thumbs up
Doubles as a buglar alarm... Heh heh... Maybe not the big softie but the little killer could be a good deterrent...

goldenblaze
April 4th, 2005, 10:29 PM
My friends think the pic is too funny, like saying to people two little sweethearts live here come break in :o

chico2
April 5th, 2005, 09:00 AM
I have a dumb story,not heroic like CB,but very embarrassing :rolleyes:
One wintermorning,it must have been -20C,I noticed all this smoke coming from a town-house across the street.I knew 3 cats lived in there...the smoke got heavier and I called the fire-department..
Well,one ladder-truck,two emergency-trucks,ambulance and two policecars arrived.....After investigating,a fireman came across and knocked on my door..the lady in the town-house had wash-day,3 loads of wash..the smoke was from the drier :crazy:
I appologized profusely,the fireman very politely told me I did the right thing,but probably quietly used a totally different word to describe me :rolleyes:

Eleni
April 5th, 2005, 09:28 AM
unfortunatly if we have a fire in our apartment building, my kids and my husband come first, and I only have so many arms

we wouldnt be able to save the pets we would be forced to leave them and pray for the best

Eleni

CyberKitten
April 5th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Chico, the important thing was that you noticed. Better safe than sorry! Eleni, you could always give the oldest child a kitty. :)

Eleni
April 5th, 2005, 10:52 AM
lol I could, however a 4 year old carrying a cat down 4 flights of stairs seems a recipe for disaster.

realistically I dont expect that firefighters will save my pets, im in a huge apartment building on the fourth floor. they just dont ahve those sort of resources and to be honest Id much rather their attention be focused on the wheelchair bound woman down the hall then on my pets.

Dont get me wrong I love my pets to death, and would be devastated if anything were to happen to them, but in some situations your hands are just tied.

I do however have working smoke detectors and a fire extuinguisher. I do what i can to prevent disaster from happening, but once its a reality my children are #1 priority.

in a perfect world Id save everyone, the 3 fish the cockateil , the cats and the dog, and my human munchkins.

but alas its not a perfect world, so I ahve to pray it never comes down to having to leave my pets in my apartment.

Eleni

Cactus Flower
April 5th, 2005, 01:07 PM
About six months ago, I picked up my best friend and we went out for coffee. As we were sitting there, her house caught fire- with her great dane,chihuahua and dalmation in it. Her 17 year old neighbor thought she was in the house, so he broke down the door and was crawling through the flames looking for her (her car was there, so he was sure she was home). He grabbed the first pair of legs he felt in the smoke, and was dragging what he thought was my best friend out- when he collapsed. Someone else crawled in and grabbed HIS legs, and dragged him out. Even semi-concious, he had a death-grip on those legs....the legs of the great dane! The fire department showed up, looked for my best friend, and upon realizing that she was not in there- WENT BACK IN to save the other two dogs. All the while another fireman was reviving the great dane. The other two didn't make it, but the great dane was revived and is alive and well. The 17-year-old went to the hospital for smoke inhalation and minor injuries. That boy is a hero to me, as well as the firefighters who went back in to at least try to save the other pets.

One firefighter was actually in tears over the dogs that were lost, when I talked to him later. He felt so guilty that he didn't get to them in time.

Sometimes they do care, and they do try.

CyberKitten
April 5th, 2005, 01:11 PM
My firefighter brother would absolutely save pets in a fire. He already has severaltimes - and done CPR, etc.

Eleni
April 5th, 2005, 01:23 PM
oh I know that if it was feasable a firefighter would save a pet,

however in an apartment building on the 4th floor with many apartments in it, its not feasable.

Eleni

marko
April 5th, 2005, 01:42 PM
This is just my opinion....

But I don't think it's really necessary to dwell on this subject.

I think we can all agree that if a choice HAS to be made it would be made in favour of the human and not the pet. (Though I know of many humans that don't deserve this courtesy ;) )

So why keep talking about this....? Seems a bit overly provocative to me. Again JMO.

Thx

Marko

Princesss04
April 5th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Sorry Marko did not mean to get anything started. Just wondering what would happen if they were in the cage. Me and my big mouth. Sorry guys. :sorry: :D

mona_b
April 5th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Princess,I understand what you are asking about the cage part.I deal with firemen.I too get the call to go to the fires.And I have talked to them about this.They say pets who are loose in a house have a better chance of being rescued when loose in the house then those who are caged/crated.On many occcasions my back seat is a shelter for the family pets.Mostly cats and dogs.Their priority is humans.I recall a woman yelling that her beloved dog was crated in the house.It was just to late to go back and save it.And the firefighters feel bad when this happens.We all do.Since there is nothing that can really be done when the house is up in flames.

All I can suggest is to those who do crate,PLEASE make sure the crate is very close to you.This way if you do smell the smoke,you can let the dog out.....And just remember something,having your dog/cat having free run in the house can actually be a life saver.MANY cat/Dogs have actually saved their owners life by waking them up.Just something to think about... :)

chico2
April 6th, 2005, 09:30 AM
I remember watching a show once,I am not sure what it was about...but there was a house on fire,firefighters could do nothing more,it was totally engulfed.
There was a loud sound,a mournful cry,a sound that tore right through me...apparently a young boy went into the fire to rescue his dog,but he did not make it.The boy and the dog were found beside each other and the sound was from the dying dog.
I wish there had been a warning,the cry haunted me for a long time,they never mentioned anbody had died in the fire :sad:
I know there are many heroic firefighters,who would do anything to save a life,any life and they certainly have my admiration.I am terrified,to the point of being obcessed about fires,I check every room before leaving the house,I have smokealarms,fire extinguishers(SP?)upstairs and downstairs.
As for the cats,I am certain they would hide downstairs in some"safe"spot and hopefully they would be found.