Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

distractions

Eleni
April 4th, 2005, 11:58 AM
well Sam is doing very well, his housetraining couldnt be any better going, he doesnt ahve many accidents, most being due to us forgetting to walk him.

however im encountering a problem with distractions up till this last few days my husband was on acation so all of his walks were just me and him, and i left the kids with my husband.

however nw that my husband is back to work i take all the kids with me.

Sam cant seem to deal with the distraction and seems to forget hes outside to pee, also he gets so very excited and forgets to sit when i command him to sit.

im nto sure what to do about this, anyone have suggestions?

Eleni

Trinitie
April 4th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Persistance is the key. As long as he's not allowed to interact with the children, and the children with him, he'll learn to ignore the distractions.

Training with distractions is more desireable anyways. Since he's quite young, perhaps a small treat to keep his attention focused on you. At the end of the walk, let him have his play time with the children. Eventually he'll learn that walking means "go potty" and when you're done "play time!". He'll get the hang of it. You just wait and see.

Lissa
April 11th, 2005, 05:17 PM
I'm not sure how old Sam is but my puppy went through a phase at about 6 months of age where anything was enough to distract him. I don't know if I slacked off on the training end of it or if he just found more interesting things to do...anyway persistence and patience is exactly what Sam needs. I found my puppy almost looking for distractions because he wasn't interested in training.
But like has already been said, distractions are great for training...there's an older golden that lives by my house and his owner is a stay at home Mum who babysits anywhere from 3-5 kids. Anyway, he is the master of perfect behaviour, he herd's the kids if one wanders off, he won't ever pull - one day the owner had a child on her shoulders, was pushing a stroller and had the leash in the other hand!! That dog is amazing because he had no formal training - he is the perfect nanny...
Melissa

tenderfoot
April 11th, 2005, 05:34 PM
It would be good if he knew the instructions "leave it" ie. leave the children alone, and the instruction "go potty" so he would make the effort because you said so.
This way you can help him focus on relieving himself and then the children can be the reward for a job well done.

Eleni
April 14th, 2005, 07:52 AM
hes been doing good with this,

what i ended up doing is only leaving just a short amount of leash for him while he was searching his potty spo [i use a retractable leash. so i left him 2 ft or so, and i Parked the stroller 6 ft or more away, the older kids played on the grass by the stroller

i waited with sam. when he did his business i let his leash loose for the full legnth and threw a ball to my 4 year old because he LOVES fetch.

so now he goes outside and pottys right away and then my kids and i toss the ball with him being the man in the middle kinda thing.

its the perfect praise for sam it seems since it hasnt been much issue.
he still is working on the sit however, in the building i can get him to sit but the second hes out the door he looses all self control in that respect, im sure he just needs more time and patience on that one

Eleni

tenderfoot
April 14th, 2005, 01:28 PM
YEAH, sounds like you did a great job and he's a smart boy!
Work on the 'sit' inside the house then at the door before he goes out and then just outside the door. Each location is more challenging and he can only progress to the next level when he succeeds a few times and the lower level.